Shoes that look better with age...

mizanation

quick update pic of the boots I've got in rotation :

bootsyr.jpg

trickers / visvim / hope / 405

<forgot to include a pair of red wing rough out chukkas. i'll try to take a better pic later on - kinda dark>

How do you feel about the Trickers vs. the Indy's? Those are the two front runners for me but they're so different. Can the Trickers match the Indy's comfort (I really liked Truebalance when I tried them on). Do Trickers feel as heavy on the feet as they do in hand?

Edit: This gets asked a lot but what did you do do darken the 405's? One of the reasons I'm leaning towards the Ultimate's over 405's is the darker color.

Edit: This gets asked a lot but what did you do do darken the 405's? One of the reasons I'm leaning towards the Ultimate's over 405's is the darker color.

Can't speak for the original poster, but the only product I use on my 405s is Snoseal, and it has darkened to a nice brownish burgundy color. Oiling or waxing will make them darker.

Lets See them, I too am curious about this... especially 405s with Snoseal.

Can't speak for the original poster, but the only product I use on my 405s is Snoseal, and it has darkened to a nice brownish burgundy color. Oiling or waxing will make them darker.

For some reason I'm really enjoying that pic of your 405's erk...would rep if I could!

thanks man. Actually yesterday I found out that the tongue on the left boot is coming off. I've already got them boxed up ready to go back to alden. I'm gonna call them first so they know whats goin on though. this will be the 2nd time I've had to send a pair back to them.

Lets See them, I too am curious about this... especially 405s with Snoseal.

Here they are. These are about to start their third winter. I don't wear them "hard" like some other people (live and work in the city), and don't often wear them in the summer. I try to wax them every month or two in the fall/winter/spring. Snoseal was a functional choice as I live in Canada, and I've found snoseal to be an excellent water/snow/slush repellant and protection against street salt. I think they've weathered the winters pretty well.

cimg5111.jpg

cimg5116.jpg

Grenson Desert Boots today.

grenson.jpg

I'm liking these so far. I originally wanted the Alden Flex-welts, but they didn't work for my feet. The steel shank clicked around when I stepped.

These feel great and I love the color.

I'm thinking about putting leather soles on these when the crepe gets nasty enough. Any thoughts?

You should go back and search posts from cheapmuthafukr, i am pretty sure his IRs are hawthorne and have been worn proper, proper. you may get a good idea of their evolution.

anyone have any redwing ranger in hawthorne muleskinner that have gone thru some good aging? pics?

curious as to how they turn out..

thanks man. Actually yesterday I found out that the tongue on the left boot is coming off. I've already got them boxed up ready to go back to alden. I'm gonna call them first so they know whats goin on though. this will be the 2nd time I've had to send a pair back to them.

They look great man. can't rep.

I'm thinking of sending mine for a rebuild now, the sole is close to being ground down and the heel is well worn out. I wondered if they can do anything about the disintegrating lining....

how often should i wax my rw iron rangers? any initial treatment?

what's the best way to clean them?

it's going to snow a lot in december here, should i apply snoseal?

I've rotated a pair of GTs and 405s for the past 2.5 years and worn them through the winters (snow, slush, ice, rain) and they're in excellent shape. Here's what I recommend doing if you're worried about your boots in the winter:

1) Treat them with Snoseal. All you need for this is the Snoseal, a cotton rag, and a brush to buff them up at the end. Work the wax in with the cotton rag, buff them with the brush. Pretty easy. Now if you drip some water on them you'll notice the water will bead up instead of soaking in.

2) Try not to wear your boots every day, especially if you're getting them wet. Get another pair to rotate.

3) Use cedar shoes trees--they'll help absorb moisture and help the boots maintain their shape.

4) You don't need to go through any rigorous cleaning regimen. In the winter, I just wipe off my boots with a damp rag at the end of the day to get rid of dirt, street salt, etc. If you spend 2 minutes a day cleaning your boots after wearing them for 10 hours, it will save you trouble in the long run. Only other cleaning I do is a little more thorough wipe-down before applying a new coat of Snoseal.

5) I reapply Snoseal when the boots look like they need it (hard to say when). If I'm wearing them consistently in the winter, this works out to every month or two. The snoseal wears off after getting wet, drying up, getting scuffed, etc. Just take notice of when water isn't beading up anymore.

Generally, in the winter, you'll notice the boots getting water stains mostly around the welt, instead of the top of the toe box, arch, etc. As long as you wipe your boots down to get rid of salt and dirt and allow them to dry properly, these stains will disappear.

edit: to be honest, I've never tried Obenauf's because it's not available here. I've only used snoseal on any of my boots, and it seems like a good all-in-one for conditioning, protection, etc. Even does a nice job of masking scuffs (not like a polish would, but good enough).

They look great man. can't rep.

I'm thinking of sending mine for a rebuild now, the sole is close to being ground down and the heel is well worn out. I wondered if they can do anything about the disintegrating lining....

thanks man.

I'm hoping they can fix this for free or something. I'm not tryin to fork out the dough for the rebuild yet. It doesn't make much sense for me to have owned them for 1 year and have the tongue falling off. I didn't really even wear them in the summer...

the soles still have plenty of life left, but they could use some new heels.

for some reason I feel like I read somewhere that they wont do anything about the lining...which I think is bullsh!t. anyone know if theres any truth to that?

edit: cool resole Alex3000. I used to wear clarks desert boots all the time back in 2004. I had pair of the sand suede ones. One day they needed a resole, I took them in to a cobbler and they totally ruined them. the shoe was waaay smaller than it was before and i couldn't wear em anymore. I was pretty pissed.

You should go back and search posts from cheapmuthafukr, i am pretty sure his IRs are hawthorne and have been worn proper, proper. you may get a good idea of their evolution.

his are the jcrewXredwing collab in dark brown.

i'd be interested in seeing some aged hawthorne IR too.