ROY X CONE contest, 1.1.11 - 2.1.12

Paul T

How 'bout that baggy-ass?

Fit's still been bothering me, so I measured up the waist this morning and was surprised to read 32.5-33ish, since that's what most of my jeans usually wind up measuring after stretch, but these feel much bigger than that. I realized then that all the jeans I've had before sit on/around my hips, while these sit above (unless I want long droopy-crotch). I then re-measured myself as per ROY's instructions and realized that before I had measured 31" around my hips. When I measure around where these jeans are actually designed to sit, I get 29"... hence why these feel so baggy on me, and I have this phenomenon:

I'm trying to get accustomed to, and embrace, the bagginess, and I'm glad to discover the sizing was my own fault (not any fault of ROY's), but this is driving me nuts... I want them to fit right (yes, I'm a bit neurotically obsessive by nature). Gah!

My suggestion: try a double cuff with minimum break, or even a cuff right to your ankles. There's a lot of bunching around the knee, which could account for the baggy ass and sloppy fit. Shortening the length should help them to fall more naturally.

I couldn't even tell that they were loose except for the picture of the room in the waist. I'd imagine the roomier fit makes for a more comfortable fit in that African heat!

All these kids that think their pants should fit like Superman Underoos (am I dating myself with that reference?). When they get a pair of properly fitting trousers, they don't know what to do with themselves. Dkatz, you gotst a belt, pull a notch and carry on. Have no worries, you are the flyest dressed fellow on that continent.

As usual, Fardin beats me to it!

@Daniel

Mate, the fit looks fine, similar to mine, enjoy the traditional looser fit of shrink-to-fit denim (remember 10 wet to dry cycles over a LONG period of timeto get that final fit)

@Docblue

Fit lookin good after that second soak, and better still teamed up with the type-2.

Must spread guys.

This is pretty much like my last post, but i've been driving around the outskirts of Elwood,NE (where I work) while I wait for my wife to get off work trying to get lost so I can learn how to find my way back. A whole lot of nothing out here, which is nice but makes taking decent pictures a little hard.

DSCN7881.jpg

DSCN7878.jpg a lonesome cloud.

by the way daniel , got my bandana yesterday. many many thanks, its beautiful and i love it. got many compliments for it, wich i have never gotten with any of my pants. haha. great. will post pics of it.

All these kids that think their pants should fit like Superman Underoos (am I dating myself with that reference?). When they get a pair of properly fitting trousers, they don't know what to do with themselves. Dkatz, you gotst a belt, pull a notch and carry on. Have no worries, you are the flyest dressed fellow on that continent.

Confession: I had Superman underoos, and they gave me the extra confidence I needed as a child. Dkatz has style for sure, but can he stand up against the gentlemen of the Bacongo?

ROYs have now officially been on stage of the Seattle Operas' Barber of Seville!

Unfortunately the camera Nazis got me before I could get them in frame (worse than the secret service that didn't want my boss taking pictures of Air Force 1), but here's a few that did get by.

AENsmall.jpg

ropessmall.jpg

sevillesmall.jpg

Jeeeeeeeez, team. I get it, I get it - stop whining, buck up and look fly. Fine, I'm working on it. And good to know about that whole 10 wash/dry cycles for perfect fit thing... next time they'll (intentionally) touch water will still probably be in near-boiling water and with heavy agitation (then again they'll need that just to remove one layer of "Ugandan Ochre").

...love how this forum so perfectly serves my somewhat narcissistic, insecure needs for personal validation. Hah!

by the way daniel , got my bandana yesterday. many many thanks, its beautiful and i love it. got many compliments for it, wich i have never gotten with any of my pants. haha. great. will post pics of it.

Glad you like it! Looking forward to pics... (I don't remember which one you got)

Confession: I had Superman underoos, and they gave me the extra confidence I needed as a child. Dkatz has style for sure, but can he stand up against the gentlemen of the Bacongo?

Ohhh man, good point. Fortunately I don't make my way that far West too often - I'd be shown up for SURE.

can't help but feel like the roy on the boxers is a tramp stamp. haha

I still would like a pair to go with the pants that I don't have either. Lucky jerks.

Hah, I actually feel similarly - makes me vaguely uncomfortable. Actually, maybe it's the super-small waistband that's making me uncomfortable?

Up early to check out SPitalfields market. This has only really been going four or five years - but it's a great market, terrific collection of stuff.

The route takes you thru some of the oldest parts of London. THis church has the highest clocks in London, for ships captains to check their chronometers.

IMG_0145.jpg

It's the eclectic selection of stuff here that makes it great.

1920s or 30s camp bed in a mahogany cabinet

IMG_0127.jpg

Eames chairs - but cinema-style, a bank of three.

IMG_0128.jpg

War pastel - very nicely done.

IMG_0129.jpg

Anatomical models and bones... mmmm...

IMG_0131.jpg

A 30s Expressionist oil, the paint is just slapped on - looks far more abstract in the flesh...

IMG_0130.jpg

A met a dude I bumped into before. He admired my William Lennons', I admired his Alfred Sargent Zug grain - real officer boots...

IMG_0134.jpg

Other cool stuff, including a Martin Sharp metallic poster, one of the most collectable of psych art, they were produced in much smaller numbers than the SF stuff... if this was Hendrix, Creem or Dylan, for whom he also did posters, would cost a fortune

IMG_0137.jpg

IMG_0135.jpgIMG_0136.jpg

IMG_0141.jpg

I really liked this 40s or 50s rubberised Mac

IMG_0139.jpg

Terribly tempted by this G01, from Ragtime, a dealier I really like. He was impressed by the ROYs...

IMG_0142.jpg

G1.jpg

Same guy had these very nice Headlight jeans, late 20s I would guess. COuld well be Cone or Amoskeag denim

Headlight.jpg

Just managed to restrain myself from copping the G-1, which really rocked with the ROYS. THe walk back to the station…

IMG_0144.jpg

On the way back, contemplated my ROYs. I love the stage the denim is it, really dark, still very fluffy

ROY.jpg

THis train winds home thru the financial district.

IMG_0146.jpg

Once home, I popped in to see my friend Graham Marsh. He's just published an amazing Ivy League book. We were chatting about clothing, as usual, and I happened to ask if he had any Alden Cordovan.

Of course he bloody had…

IMG_0151.jpg

IMG_0136.jpg

What does the caption of this say? It looks a lot like little framed pictures I'll see around Kampala with moral or advisory messages (a personal favorite: dude sitting on tree branch, cutting it on the trunk-side of him, and the quote "It is difficult to teach a fool" or something along the lines).

^sry guys, english isn't my 1st language: what are you talking about?

Hawksmoor is the architect of these churches - which dominate the East End of London, the poor part of town, they're very spooky-looking and were designed partly to intimidate the populace and impress them with the power of the Anglican Church. Various novels have been set around them, usually including murders, and one of Jack the Ripper's victims was found in/near the churchyard of the second church pictured. (From Hell, the Graphic Novel, fueatures the same church, altho' for the film it was too expensive to film in the East End so they constructed a replica in Prague. Wonder where that replica is now and whether I could buy it to have as a folly in the back garden).

Entertainment reckons that Hawksmoor would appreciate the ConeXRoys. Which means they probably have some special psychic/masonic resonance.

What does the caption of this say? It looks a lot like little framed pictures I'll see around Kampala with moral or advisory messages (a personal favorite: dude sitting on tree branch, cutting it on the trunk-side of him, and the quote "It is difficult to teach a fool" or something along the lines).

It's titled The African Crocodile Hunter. The dude has a (cork?) guard around his arm, which the croc bites - then I guess he stabs the ol' reptile with the knife in his free hand. Hopefully without having his left arm ripped off.

Seems like a tough way to make a living, but if it results in some nice croc-skin suitcases and other accessories, fair enough.

incredible post paul. i am amazed by all the details and storys. just love it. mr marsh must be very interesting to be around. i guess i am going to get his book. and those 20s headlights!!!!! how much did he want for them ? wish i could rep you for this. your roy shot is great too.

incredible post paul. i am amazed by all the details and storys. just love it. mr marsh must be very interesting to be around. i guess i am going to get his book. and those 20s headlights!!!!! how much did he want for them ? wish i could rep you for this. your roy shot is great too.

Graham Marsh is way cool. I took him to the XX launch at Cinch, he was by far the oldest person there - but the coolest. He designed the picture sleeve for Anyway Anyhow Anywhere, what is cooler than that? He also lives in an identical house to me, so when I return I always feel ashamed by what a tip mine is, his is immaculate with 40s and 50s framed Nouvelle Vague film posters on the wall, etc etc etc.

If you get the book let me know, I can get it signed for you. I can't remember if the 20s headlights were £1200 or £1800. You gonna buy them? Cool!