ROY X CONE contest, 1.1.11 - 2.1.12

Paul T

Thanks for the good words folks.

Shorty, looking good man. they fuckin look perfect on you. Looks like you already got some good wear on them.

L1040396.jpg

Great fit, and very nice jacket!

It was 40 °C today (almost 105 °F)...

p1300019.jpg

Perfect day for infusing some fat and wax into my new wallet, no need to preheat the wax or the leather, and the coating dries up much faster too:

p1300027.jpg

p1300061.jpg

The leather has evo-ed quite a bit in less than a weeks use!

^There are the hardcore guys, but the RUBs (rich urban bikes) have really knocked the shine off of HD. (or, rather, HD's marketing knocked the shine off of HD -- I mean it's just a bike, not a lifestyle, so neg me for acting like some doctor playing biker is worse than me playing longshoreman).

perfectly right but i don't know who you are refering to.

Went to NYC today.

Usually I take the train, but a friend was driving in, so I hitched a ride.

2011-01-29034small.jpg

Holland Tunnel

2011-01-29040small.jpg

Visited my friend's friend's apartment.

2011-01-29042small.jpg

Lunch at Ollie's of roast duck and wonton soup with chow fun.

2011-01-29045small.jpg

The new restaurant at Lincoln Center designed by Diller Scofidio + Renfro.

2011-01-29047small.jpg

Tosca at the Met.

2011-01-29049small.jpg

2011-01-29056small.jpg

2011-01-29050small.jpg

A drink. A subway downtown. And a train home.

2011-01-29059small.jpg

I often start my Sunday jaunts with the words 'up early'… not today. Party last night, staggered out just before 11 with the nipper to meet someone… and missed them, 10 minutes too late, no sign of em, and I left my phone at the party. (lady t is still in bed)

But we were up in Blackheath, a high, open field in South East London, traditionally used as a gathering place for armies about to storm the city - in particular, the Danes, Wat Tyler's peasant revolt in 1381, and a Kentish revolt in 1450. It straddles "Watling Street", the old Roman road from Londonium to Dover… in the 1600s and 1700s it was a well-known hangout for footpads and highwaymen.

According to one historian, "In past times it was planted with gibbets, on which the bleaching bones of men who had dared to ask for some extension of liberty, or who doubted the infallibility of kings, were left year after year to dangle in the wind."

Now it's an open space, surrounded by Georgian Mansions, and some angular, elegant modernist 1970s buildings, called 'Span Houses.' There are old caves under the heath, various graves, probably Roman remains and also unknown, undocumented masses of rubble. After a huge part of SE London was flattened in the blitz, they simply dumped all the rubble here, to fill in undulations and pits that have been here for centuries. Another layer of history.

Oh, and did I mention that this road apparently lies on a crucial ley-line, a site of ancient, occult power? I've heard that Himmler was obsessed with it, and I've seen this area titled Omphalos: the centre of the psychic power of the British Empire.

Indiana Jones, or what?

1running.jpg

I get the feeling the crows have been here for centuries, probably picking at the bones of those gibbeted highwaymen, and other roadkill.

2crows1.jpg

4crow.jpg

The nipper told me the strangest story of one time he'd walked here, with a friend, they'd spotted a little tarpaulin shelter in a small thicket, and crept inside, thinking it would make a good den.

In the den, a junkie lay snoring, surrounded by plastic bottles full of piss. His arms were outstretched, a syringe in one hand - and a tatty teddy bear in the other. They ran out, screaming. The memory still gives him the chills even now… I guess it's a typical Blackheath kind of story, specially on a cold, steely-gray morning like this.

Blackheath is flat - but pretty high. And the clouds seem very low.

3pond.jpg

TOday was a Belstaff day - I love this jacket, my birthday present, although i probably waste several hours a day going through all the pockets to find my keys, money, blah blah blah.

5belstaff.jpg

Belstaff Sammy Miller, tootle, ROyxCone, William Lennon

From there we walked back into Greenwich. We were hoping to see The Clerk, but he's obviously at home, tucked up in the warn.

I always like this guy's stall…

6stall.jpg

He\s got a great eye for old tweed and brogues. This blue 3-piece suit isn't me, but it's still cool.

7suitsyousir.jpg

He also has a very cool Swedish army jacket, I should've photographed that, as well…

And yes, in Greenwich, we get fake Thai 501, too!

8thaifakes.jpg

Back through the park.

I've come to a recent agreement with the nipper, who\s stated he's uncomfortable about having his photo looked at by denim nerds (who could blame him). But of course, the moment I try to photograph a beautiful, functional, Hawksmoor building in the middle of the park (it's the entrance to a network of conduits and mysterious tunnels), for entertainment, who mentioned he liked Hawksmoor… I get someone trying to get in the photo.

So, here's Hawksmoor and hair…

9hawksmoor.jpg

As we walk back home, we pass this lovely summer house.

The architect is Robert Hooke - he discovered Hooke's law for elasticity, was a rival to Newton in terms of establishing the laws of planetary motion, mapped out most of London after the Great Fire of 1666, and was also responsible for many of the post-Fire churches traditionally credited to Christpher Wren. His work is very Dutch-influenced, with the red brick. THis is a little gem, probably built around 1670. Sadly the house it belongs to is now owned by some hedge-fund wanker (they've all moved into my area in the last decade), who doesn't use the place - unbelievably, he uses this architectural gem to store furniture. Tosser.

10summerhouse.jpg

What a waste. What better location is there for Sunday afternoon in the summer, getting loaded on chilled white wine or fizz, and watching people and wildlife scurry around the park, late into the night, then watching the stars come out, as Hooke might well have done, 350 years ago...

i've studied robert hooke's theory of elasticity in school but never knew he was also an architect. never thought these scientist-y types could also be architects..

with regards to my lack of involvement, i have to proclaim innocence! the missus has absconded with my camera to japan (#$&*& without me) with the family on a holiday trip. it has also been raining shitbuckets and life has been nothing but being trapped at home. will try to get some chi chi pictures of me in them pants soon though. been toying with the big cuffs look since whoever has been doing it on this thread seems to be getting it right since they look fantastic. (esp paul, rnr, roy6, usual suspects). the trimmer fits also look good in my opinion. personally ditching the big cuffs look though since my asian body type isnt helping much. going back to doublecuffing (use your imagination concept).

what is the news about the blog for the wonderful people from CONE? how is it going to work?

Ha, this thread need some lechery.

DIdn't have a close look at that bag, but the dude is here every week... and might be at Spitalfields Thursday, which I might visit if I give way to temptation to the G-1 shown on the Flying Jacket thread. Happy to check it out for you...

I finally made my belt yesterday, along with a new keychain, card case, and bracelet (need to test some new designs). Better late than never~

leathersetsm.jpg

It'll be one month tomorrow. Eleven more to go...

roys1mo1sm.jpg

Im thinking of washing mine soon as they are starting to smell kinda funky, maybe ill just hang them by the shower and let them steam out. But honestly IDK if im going to be ready for the new orleans heat that is fast approaching and I want them to be a few shades lighter so they dont absorb as much sunlight.

Oh, and Im slowly accumulating pictures of the city on my phone, once I get enough Ill lead everyone on a virtual tour of new orleans. I guess I could share pics of the all libraries I go to but thats not too interesting altho Tulane does have a pretty cool library

Since people are posting car pictures, here's mine. It's a Morris Minor 1000 that's been in the family for three generations. My grandfather bought it in the late '50's ( he was downsizing from a Minor 1100 on his retirement!), it passed to my mother and then on to the next generation.

Originally like the ModelT, you could get them in any colour you wanted, so long as that was black. They were also famous because the were only three or four variants of the key for the door, so there was a good chance that your key would work with someone else's Morris. This, given that they were pretty popular and all the same colour, meant that quite often people drove someone else's car home by mistake from places where a bunch of them were parked side by side ( N.B.: this story may be apocryphal).

My sister had this before me and had it refurbed and painted red. It needs another refurb but I haven't got around to it yet. Mostly because I don't drive.

Roy x Cone x Morris Minor fit:

img2566edit.jpg

img2568o.jpg

A version of the first shot where you can see a bit more of the car:

img2567p.jpg

More later in the week including exclusive high-tech shots of my eyeballs whilst wearing the Roy x Cones. I bet you can't wait!

riff in somewhat-actually-worn jeans looks weeeeeird! I like it. Also - love the chickens!

zissou - that belt with only one belt-hole option looks damn smooth.... really appeals to neurotic me.

3pond.jpg

this is effing gorgeous...

thissunday... as far as I'm concerned you could wear that fit every day for the next year and I'd be more than satisfied.

Beautiful and (rare) relaxing weekend in Sipi Falls for ROY x Cone x Heart of Darkness. Busy week coming, but will try to get pictures up in the coming days.

I finally made my belt yesterday, along with a new keychain, card case, and bracelet (need to test some new designs). Better late than never~

leathersetsm.jpg

Looks amazing :)

Please keep us updated with the evo of these!

3 days ago:

DSCN7889.jpg

today:

DSCN8001.jpg

:mad:

DSCN8002.jpg

inside

didn't bring heavy coat,gloves,cap,etc just a basic pullover

fak!

ohh, and i found these at the local market in Elwood. I had no idea they were even legal:

DSCN8006.jpg

They aren't as cool as the ones of my childhood, you know the kind you could blow 'smoke' out of... but still I was a little suprised to be honest.

awesome pic roy 6. you look like the cool hotrod guy of the family.

this pic could definently pass to as a 40s snapshot.

it is a 50's snapshot.. just added photoshop