ROY X CONE contest, 1.1.11 - 2.1.12

Paul T

I hope we are all measuring the same. Mr. Slaper does not measure via BIG style. He yanks the waist band so that it is taught, then measures across the waist band. Pulling them really tight gets the true "around-the-waist" measurement, whereas BIG style is laid flat and then measured. No pulling it taught. Pulling it taught adds about another inch in the waist measurement.

well mine are going to be snug if i soak em. i ordered a 32 and got a 32 raw, wich does not make sense, so yes they are undersized. still like the fit. and i guess i can deal with it after soak too.

has anyone used their cinch or are they all left laying flat as decoration?

mine have stretched out heaps so now im tossing up between hauling them in by the cinch and wearing them all nappy arsed or re soaking

Walked around the loop today...

5368202493_507ea8fc51_z.jpg

This building is the Monadnock...Constructed in 1891, it is the tallest load bearing masonry building in the world, basically before they said oh damn we need lighter construction materials (concrete, etc.) and this building helped them realize that.

5368202495_ef49caecab_z.jpg

There are a few old school style stores in the building and I thought I'd take a walk through

5368202499_87cd390e97_z.jpg

My fit

5368202501_7c2804c7f6_z.jpg

5368202503_cb97f31e2f_z.jpg

Inside there is a tobacco shop, parlor shop, Intelligentsia coffee and more

5368202505_15540a4114_z.jpg

5368818116_467922cfb3_z.jpg

5368818120_6e5822ea6c_z.jpg

IMG_3914

5368818122_dfb248f994_z.jpg

5368818124_220954d044_z.jpg

Afterwards I went to the library and spotted out this book...Which may or may not have been written by our own sufu resident, Paul T

5368818126_ea953b584a_z.jpg

My how you've changed Paul T! The lack of mail would do it to anyone of us admittedly...

5368818128_c147aa0690_z.jpg

I also spotted a Japanese book with random denim pages

img3946vs.jpg

img3947o.jpg

And that was my day! (Cooking dinner, etc. not included)

the 32's that i ordered came raw in a size 32 (BiG style of measuring though). they eventually stretched out an inch after a few wears.

pre-soak ---> post-soak

waist: 32inches > 30inches

length: 32inches > 29inches

front rise: 11inches > 10.5inches

back rise: 14inches > 13.5inches

thigh: 11.5inches > 11.5inches

knee: 8.75inches > 8.5inches

leg opening: 8.5inches > 8inches

Wow, I am behind on this thread! Great shots, aho, and I like the Cabourn shirt, eltopo. Also, great fits on those of you who just got yours. So sad to see Paul be the last to get his!

OK, sort of a compilation of the past weekend, which was mostly leathercrafting and Wii playing with my daughter. But, I did take her up for a ski lesson and then we poked around down by the river.

imageeksj.jpg

imageltz.jpg

imagezvw.jpg

imagepof.jpg

Stayin warm yesterday...

inis1sm.jpg

And, today, I had a meeting in the city, so I hit a surplus/western/hardware store on my way. They had wool army trousers from pretty much every country that fought in WWII.

imagereq.jpg

I don't need spurs, but I do need some swivel hooks...

imagezv.jpg

...and some D-rings.

imagelfut.jpg

They have a tack shop in back where they make saddles. The one closest to me in this photo was just shy of $3,000.

imagejxi.jpg

I was tempted to buy a fluorescent lasso, but I went for another watch cap instead.

imagejd.jpg

Guess what I found tucked away behind the old fishtail parkas... a Union Special 54200F! This machine is used for sewing elastic on things like waist bands. Could be the same one Roy used on our boxers!

imagewzg.jpg

It takes up to twelve needles in a row, and has a big toothed cylinder on the back for holding the elastic as it stretches, I am guessing. If it had been a typical lockstitch machine or chain stitcher (!), I would have picked it up in a heartbeat. Not sure what I would do with this thing, though. It was on the original table, too.

imageehr.jpg

I think ROY has a similar machine that he used for our chonies. It might actually be the same machine. He sent me photos of it some time ago.

img7589jx.jpg

This is the one that ROY sent me a pic of. It was used to make the waistband on the chonies. I am almost positive they are the same machine.

Thanks for the compliments and reps people.

@beatle: you're too kind, and the Beatle Busters fit you better! Your fit pics on those made a believer out of me. They're now on the shortlist.

@dr. house: yeah, I underestimated how much inseam I would need by about an inch because the rise is a bit shorter than I'm used to. I'm not too worried about it though. I can always pull the legs next time I soak.

Overall I love the cut on these. It's trim in the leg but roomy in the top block. I gots the chicken legs so that works for me. At the same time it works well on DocBlue with his manly rugby-playing thews and it also looks cool in a retro way on those who asked for roomier fits, so it's very versatile. I've never come across a cut like it elsewhere. I really hope Roy makes it part of his regular line-up 'cos IMO it's something new that really works.

The denim is crazy! It shrank more than any I have come across

and when it dried it was like wood! It also completely changed colour from grey to blue. There is definitely quite bit of stretch in it though, so, as i said before, if you can get into these raw, you should be able to make them work post-soak.I still think fardin should wear his raw for a while though: they look great on him and it will be really interesting to see how that effects the fading.

Everyone is looking great. The only downer is that PaulT, one of the architects of this thing, still hasn't got his. :(

P.S.: Wonderful shots el topo, zissou and aho. Zissou, I love those shots of you down by the river: you look like a member of an old school mountaineering expedition. Also thanks, el topo: now I know where the nasty deer hoochies hang out if I need one.

Yup, that's the one, RNR, except the one I saw seemed to be missing the elastic feeder. I did send a photo to Roy, but haven't heard back from him...

re: cinching- I'm cinching a couple inches, mostly because after seeing one of Sansome1877's finds I'm enamored with the way a cinch can fade.

re: sizing- I haven't measured at all, but I ordered 31 (my "true" size, and measured exactly as Roy suggested), but I would definitely prefer one less inch in the waist (and ass).

Still think docblue takes the cake for best fit - exactly how I wish mine fit.

I hope we are all measuring the same. Mr. Slaper does not measure via BIG style. He yanks the waist band so that it is taught, then measures across the waist band. Pulling them really tight gets the true "around-the-waist" measurement, whereas BIG style is laid flat and then measured. No pulling it taught. Pulling it taught adds about another inch in the waist measurement.

it doesn't change much, if you try.

it just depends on how tight you mean.

anyway, Roy knows his shit, I think that this cut is meant to be worn slightly undersized in the waist (like a 55).

shinya kimura used to be with zero engineering whihc i think is the same people behind road hopper ( real hopper) i liek their bikes but for the price they ask for you can build it for like 75% of the price doesnt matter what color you get doc your getting a great bike.. hell i wouldnt mind riding a pink ferrari right?

And, today, I had a meeting in the city, so I hit a surplus/western/hardware store on my way.

imagewzg.jpg

My wife found a skin grafting machine there. It was used and had an instruction book complete with illustrations. Such a great store. I was thinking the Utah meetup should have fit pics in the yard with all the surplus bomb shells.

I haven't tried the cinch yet. I don't generally use them, but their zeitgeist is hard to match. I wonder if getting it to pleat underneath would help with any bunching.