official break up thread

dismalfuture

A quick update. I've been pretty much living at a friend's the entire time. Helps a lot (money-wise too), along with going out and hooking up with new chicks. Although a few of them turned out to be really nuts.

I had dinner with her last week and whilst we muttered that we miss each others, I'm slowing things down as I'm dating someone right now. I have no idea what's gonna happen - life sure is unsettling at times.

Edited by Dropt

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

This is 4 months overdue..

My gf of 3 years broke up with me, saying that there were some problems of her own that she needed to handle on her own and that she'd like to stay single for the duration of her education. She also rationalized the break up as giving me less of a distraction from school even though I wasn't distracted much by the relationship at all. I am still not over her, still quite in love.

Earlier this week I found out she's seeing some guy 7 years older than her with two kids. Fuck.

My gf of 3 years broke up with me, saying that there were some problems of her own that she needed to handle on her own and that she'd like to stay single for the duration of her education. She also rationalized the break up as giving me less of a distraction from school even though I wasn't distracted much by the relationship at all. I am still not over her, still quite in love.

Earlier this week I found out she's seeing some guy 7 years older than her with two kids. Fuck.

Sorry to hear that pal. Chin up. 

It probably sucks, but if she's doing that you got out of a bad situation. Unless she is really in love with the dude (chances are she just gets more attention from him) it will just be a phase, and not a real thing. Don't let her come crawling back to you or get your feelings caught again, that happens far too often in these situations. 

you'll be aight.

I want to break up with girl but when i get close to it she starts crying...

If you have been through enough relationships you know that it pretty much can only go this way. Nobody said breakups are easy, just bite the bullet and move on. Let the girl cry, then resent you, then start dating somebody else within a month or two, then talk to you like nothing happened and you're still friends after 3 months. It's pretty common with some of the girls I've dated.

Edited by Fycus

That was intense, not sure how to follow up but agree with most except the anger and fucking her again, not worth it to dip back in usually.

I'm sometimes the guy on the other side of that story, and I can tell you...the fascination with older guys / kids doesn't last. Most younger women get all intoxicated at the idea of an older, and seemingly stable, guy with kids. A single Dad is like like catnip for girls, like a cute puppy but stronger. It triggers girl's maternal instincts and lots of times they trip over themselves trying to immerse themselves in the "family" life. I can tell you, it rarely works out. She's going to be disappointed when the novelty wears off and realizes his attention is split multiple ways, right at a time in her life when getting attention is her first priority. We (older guys with kids) tend to not have the patience for young girl games, and have other shit to focus on instead of being wrapped up satisfying younger women's insecurities. I know it hurts to lose someone you care so much for, but I can almost guarantee you she will come back / reach out to you in a couple months when she realizes how hard it is to keep up with his life. Your choice what to do with her then, but like said above, the single best thing you can do is spend as much time as possible authentically investing in yourself. Take the time to build yourself better than you ever thought possible and you'll be so much happier in the long run.

Can speak from experience here, my ex broke up with me about a year and half ago and wanted to be single and whatnot. Next thing I hear, she was dating this older guy she used to work with who was always around and always "just friends" with her back when we were dating. They moved interstate and I caught up with her recently, having had enough time to be okay with the situation. Turns out they're now in an open relationship, and she couldn't wait to tell me that heaps of people in her acting classes want to fuck her. I don't know who had the idea of the open relationship, but I can only assume it was her way of being able to explore other options whilst still having the security (living arrangements, etc) that comes with the dude she left me for. If they're happy and it works, good for them, but in the end, I can't help but feel a bit sorry for this guy I used to absolutely hate.

What I'm basically trying to say is that time changes everything and puts things into perspective. You'll be fine, but it'll take awhile and that interim period is going to suck.

Edited by CBM

same shit happened to me, cept it was her college professor who had kids her age.  I was depressed for almost 2 years, focused on my career, made a shit load of money, discovered jbzs and life has been good for the last 10 years.

Edited by DaBestSpoona

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

you don't want to follow her?

i am not eligible for the visa she is going on (J1) - the only thing i can legally do is visit on a tourist visa. visiting would not be such a problem if she was staying for a year, but if she is staying indefinitely then...yeah. thinking of saying goodbye makes me feel physically sick.

Edited by conqueror

fuck, so sorry to hear man. It's terrible when it's by no fault of your own or hers, just paths take different turns. There isn't any real advice other than keep your head up. What's the deal on her side? Just an opportunity she didn't want to pass on? I know you could probably push her to stay, but letting her go if she's pursuing something she wants to go after is really bold, and says a lot about your character. Hope you hang in there ok.