The Flat Head

LFC4ever

Hi einstine,

Flat Head's denim is known for its vertical fading characteristics, which produces the vertical streaks of lighter colors on faded examples of our jeans. But the cool thing about FH jeans is that you can get dramatically different results depending on how often you wash. Not just the contrast, but the entire color of the denim varies a lot. With Flat Head jeans, you can wash them more frequently yet still get good contrast.

FH jeans undergo double the number of dips in indigo as most other jeans, which makes them very dark. Even if they get washed a lot, they'll be darker than jeans by the other Japanese repro brands. If you want a lighter color with contrast, I suggested washing after 3-4 months and then maybe monthly after that. If you want your jeans to stay darker, then try going 5-6 months without washing, then wash every 1-2 months after that. But of course, these are just general guidelines and a lot depends on your lifestyle and how often/how hard you wear the jeans.

Hey dudes,

Flat Head has asked me to create an official account for our relations on internet forums, blogs, etc., so here you go, I'm Kyle at The Flat Head, aka Cold Summer.

I'm hard at work getting stuff for the site translated, there's a lot of good information there that will be helpful to people. In addition, we will soon be offering bilingual blog and Facebook posts and lots more exciting content for everyone. For specific inquiries about upcoming products and events we still recommend that you ask your dealers like Self Edge, DC4, Rivet And Hide, Tate And Yoko, etc., but I'll be here to help with general questions like sizing advice, denim qualities, and other things relating to The Flat Head, RJB, and our other brands.

yo chubacca what size are those? and can you give me measurements after soaking? looks good on you no nee dfor a taper man

I went TTS and they are 34. When i get back home, ill send you the measurements.

yo chubacca what size are those? and can you give me measurements after soaking? looks good on you no nee dfor a taper man

Sorry for the wait, I had to borrow a measuring tape. I'm using DC4's initial measuring vs mine after shrinking...no inseam length because I got it hemmed to 32.

Waist – 33.9>34

Front Rise - 11.8 >11

Back Rise – 16.1>16

Upper Thigh - 13>11

Knee – 9.8>8

Leg opening – 9.5>9

Those look great T.O.BestWR! That color is perfect. Looks like you've been doing a lot of bike riding based on the fading at the crotch. I think those jeans still have a lot of life in them, though.

We've been putting up English pages on the TFH site, starting with new products. Today we're featuring an awesome indigo dyed jacket and we've also put up pages for the Exceed Series 1001 and the K011 and K015 Kevlar jeans.

Learning how these Kevlar jeans are made was pretty interesting. The warp thread is basically woven the same way as on FH's other denim; its uneven weave is what gives FH jeans their distinctive vertical fade. It's the warp thread that's reinforced with Kevlar (mixed in with the regular cotton threads). The thread's super-tough core-span, and although various types of heavyweight denim are often heralded as tougher-than-average on these forums, it's pretty hard to imagine a denim and stitch tough than on these jeans. Seems like the perfect balance of strength and aging potential, I'm eager to see how these jeans evolve over time. If anybody out there has been wearing K011 or K015, please show us some pics!

Edited by Kyle@TFH

Hey everyone,

We're working to assemble an English FAQ for the Flat Head website. I've already covered all of the potential questions that I can think of (such as "how much will my jeans shrink?"), but if you have any questions or ideas for the FAQ, this would be a great time to ask them!

Judging by the measurements posted online, you're probably a 46 (that is assuming the 23 inch chest you reference being the measurement of a shirt that fits you well, rather than your true chest measurement). This isn't jeans. Don't expect a shirt to stretch into a perfect fit. You want a shirt to measure ~2 inches more than your actual chest - any smaller and you get 'pull' at the buttons... not a good look.

chubacca, how many of your own burgers do you eat?? just kidding. but really though, if you are a 23 chest/20 shoulder, you better be sporting a pretty tapered torso to get into those western flannels. they are cut slimmer than the workshirts, and i personally think the workshirts are super slim (for a workshirt anyway).

I'm a little sad. I bought a flat head glory park flannel in 40r and it seriously fits perfectly. It's made me realize that I think my red native check work shirt (42) is a little large for my frame. If anyone is interested in a trade (ideally for a size 40!) let me know.

Chubacca: No, our shirts don't stretch very much (only the elbows, maybe; same as any other shirt.) It sounds like you need a 44 or maybe a 46, I'd suggest checking measurements from the place you're intending to buy from. Remember that the Western shirts are tapered toward the middle; you might want to consider the work shirt version, which is not tapered.

S-Town: I think they'll be okay. The top block of FH jeans tends to shrink quite a bit.

itsbenhere: 40R isn't too far off from 42. Why don't you at least show us how the shirt fits before you sell it? That raspberry red native check fabric is one of the prettiest fabrics FH has ever made, I wouldn't get rid of that shirt unless it was a seriously loose fit.

leyori: Yes, the Kevlar jeans should be much stronger than normal denim. The Kevlar weave will make the denim much more resistant to holes and tearing, and the core-span stitching is way stronger than even poly-cotton. I'm not really sure how you could make a pair of jeans any tougher than the Kevlar ones. You could make it heavier, I guess, but remember that heavier denim equals increased stress on the fabric and especially the stitches, plus it would be really, really expensive.

Maddogwellz: I saw some pics in an issue of Lightning last year, I forget which issue it was. Regardless, they definitely do fade, and the added durability means that you can take them beyond the normal limits of a pair of unsanforized jeans (It seems like I see a lot of pairs with awesome fading, but which are at the end of their life cycle, based on destroyed crotches, etc.)

1fookntitefd: I'm guessing you mean the 3009? The 2015 is closer to the 3005 in terms of fit, it's a classic straight leg fit. However, our new 20oz. model, the 2111, has a tapered leg and is much more similar to the 3009 in terms of fit.

Maddogwellz: I saw some pics in an issue of Lightning last year, I forget which issue it was. Regardless, they definitely do fade, and the added durability means that you can take them beyond the normal limits of a pair of unsanforized jeans (It seems like I see a lot of pairs with awesome fading, but which are at the end of their life cycle, based on destroyed crotches, etc.)

1fookntitefd: I'm guessing you mean the 3009? The 2015 is closer to the 3005 in terms of fit, it's a classic straight leg fit. However, our new 20oz. model, the 2111, has a tapered leg and is much more similar to the 3009 in terms of fit.

Yes, I meant 3009... Curious, do you know how the fit of a 2015 (post shrink) would compare to my ironheart 634s? Would it be similar? I'm looking to buy a pair of TFH as my next pair of jeans and am trying to find a pair that is a little more fitted with a slight taper below the knee than the 634s.