The Flat Head

LFC4ever

So here's what I'm wondering: Where is The Flat Head's denim made? Anyone care to chime in?

According to an It's Worn post, both Eternal and TFH's denim are made in the same factory. I assumed that, much like the rest of their clothes, TFH's denim is made by them on their own machines, not outsourced to an independent factory. I have no idea if the comment about Eternal is accurate or not. But the fading on these (beautiful!) jeans does look similar to the 3XXX denim, and the buttons on Eternal's jeans look like they're made by the same folks who do Flat Head's.

I thought I'd read somewhere in these pages that the denim on the two is made by the same mill. That doesn't necessarily mean the jeans are actually made there, just that the two source their denim from the same mill. Additionally, it's likely that The Flat Head and Eternal each have a custom formula for their denims, so they wouldn't exactly be the same fabric. Just similar. Then again, I'm not an expert on fabrics, so I could be way off the map.

Hey guys, I'm trying to get a pair of FH 310's and I am having trouble choosing my size. I measured my jeans lying flat across the waist and its 16 inches. Shouldn't this be a size 32? I wear 30 in Levis 511s and 28 in APC PS. I was debating between a size 30 and 31. The waist for a 30 is 31 and 32 for a 31. Having shrinkage and stretch into account, what size do you think you guys would be best?

BAerts: Yeah, I figured that Flat Head makes the jeans in their own factory - I'd just previous assumed they also milled the denim completely on their own, too. Actually, now that I think about it, a lot of Japanese brands have similar-looking buttons.

Kwaker: No, I was thinking of a comment from Kiya I read in an old post from a while back. I think the f380 was the Frontier version of the 3008 (which was later renamed to 3009 for some reason.) The two are probably the same cut. And "officially" the Frontier jeans (F380, F310 etc.) are discontinued but FH apparently still makes them for Self Edge and maybe some other overseas dealers.

Posted · Hidden by Coreyog, February 16, 2012 - No reason given
Hidden by Coreyog, February 16, 2012 - No reason given

the crotch on these completely blew out :mellow: i wanna get em repaired but kinda want to start a new pair. anyone have any 3001s in 33 or 34 lemme know!

Photo 112

There are a few people with 1XXX denim here. It seems like it's the same as the 3XXX denim, just a little thicker. Of course everyone's fading is going to be a little different, but based on the worn-in pairs I've seen on here, the two types of denim fade pretty much the same way. Shrink and stretch is probably similar, too.

Unless ones lives in really cold places, I don't get the appeal of super-heavy denim. Personally I find 13.5-15 oz. (like Flat Head, PBJ, etc.) use to be the sweet spot between comfort and fading potential. It's not too hot in warmer weather, and you can always just wear thermal underwear beneath in cold weather. Given the hot summers in Japan and my home in the southest US, I'd boil most of the year if I wore Iron Hearts or something. That being said, I think Flat Head DOES charge way too much money for the 1XXX jeans that are only slightly thicker then the 3XXX ones. If you're after heavyweight denim, something like IH or Samurai does seem to be a better value.

What I'd really like to see are some more of those awesome kevlar blend jeans FH makes. In the most recent issue of Lightning they had pictures of a very sexy faded pair that looked really similar to the 3XXX jeans. I wonder how those hold up compared to, say, Iron Heart jeans?

Does anyone here own both the 3xxx and 1xxx denim? Does the extra 1.5oz of the 1xxx make any real, discernible difference to feel, wear, etc?

Has anyone picked up the 20oz anniversary jeans yet?

It definitely makes a difference to feel. I can't say much about the wear since the rise in Flatheads prevents me to wear them in everyday situations where the blumbers smile is frowned upon. Heavier fabric usually produces higher contrast fades (esp. in "wrinkles"). I'd also say that 3xx denim has more streaky vertical fading going on than 1xx...

Cold Summer, I like reading your comments but sometimes I wonder how you come to the conclusions that you come to.

As it has been said a million times before, denim weight does NOT necessarily constitute whether they will be good for a certain weather condition. To me, 15oz SExI14 is far cooler than 14.5oz SE05BSP which is about the same as 21oz (301S) where as the 19oz SExIH07BK and 17oz SG2109 are considerably hotter. It's all about the weave.

How do you quantitate that TFH charges way more for 1XXX than 3XXX because 'it is only slightly thicker'?

IH or Samurai provide better value, how so?

I'm sure that there are exceptions, but *generally* speaking, a 14-15 oz. fabric is probably going to be a lot warmer than a 21-24 oz. one. (Maybe the 301S really is way cooler than one would expect from 21 oz - I haven't personally had a chance to try these.) I guess complicating things is the fact that unsanforized denim reaches its "real" weight after it's washed and shrinks, and depending on various factors certain ones "tighten" up to become much more dense/warmer, as FH's may do compared to sanforized fabrics like IH, etc. generally use. This is something I hadn't considered before, a heavier sanforized fabric might well be cooler than a tighter unsanforized one.

The 1001 costs 4000 yen (over $50) more than the 3001 in Japan, and for a mostly-similar and only slightly-thicker fabric, it doesn't seem worth the extra cash to me because in the other details, 1001's button fly aside, the two pairs seem very similar. Like I said above, this is assuming you're focusing on denim weight more than other factors - with both Samurai and Iron Heart you can get (at least in Japan) jeans that are heavier weight than the 3001, 1001, etc. for about the same price or cheaper from those brands. Of course, there are lots of other things to consider - if I preferred IH or Samurai overall, I'd be wearing those instead, and weight/denim thickness isn't a big deal to me.

Since Maynard Friedman asked about the 3XXX vs 1XXX and whether the weight seemed to make the difference, that's what I focused on. It doesn't *seem*, based on what I've seen here, that the two types really fade much differently from each other. It seems like weight aside, they're very similar - not like the huge differences between PBJ's 005 and 011 denim, for example, that look completely different. Basically, go for the 1001 if you want a button fly and slightly heavier denim. Personally I don't feel it's worth the upcharge, all other factors like shrink etc. being equal. But hey, it's your cash, do what works best for you.

i'm sure that there are exceptions, but *generally* speaking, a 14-15 oz. fabric is probably going to be a lot warmer than a 21-24 oz. one.

Is this a typo or?.. I have quite a lot of experience with both 14-15 oz. jeans and 19+ oz jeans and well, son, this does not compute... :P

Is this a typo or?.. I have quite a lot of experience with both 14-15 oz. jeans and 19+ oz jeans and well, son, this does not compute... :P

Actually when the sun rays hit the denim fabric the lighter one gets warmer as there is less material for the heat to spread out! :D