Jeans of the Old West: A History

aho

So is Ralph still working for cone. If not will he at least still be working with denim?

NO, he's fronting an operation called Artistic Denim - a family firm, from Pakistan, THey don't make selvage but are suddenly getting enthusiastic about it. He's working in Technical Development for them.

Cone have brought back an old hand to replace him, Bud Strickland, whom I hope to interview at some point.

Finally got round to reading this! By far my fav christmas present! Fantastic piece of work, highly informative +++ Looking forward to any new material in the making!! cheers

Very kind of you to say. Hopefully we will have the next one out in 6 months, if you have any questions feel free to ask:)

Duck don't get much better than that.

I never thanked you for showing the book to people, I would like to talk with you sometime about your brothers interesting occupation. Eltopo, nice photos, good to hear that you are enjoying the duck pants, I. Have put mine aside since I got my contest jeans. Are you planing to make it out to California next month?

Were they manufactured at the Rising Sun? I would like to see some photos of your pants.

I think he means the book, maybe?

5376715313_ce8d95c067_z.jpg5376716143_d3d0800545_z.jpg5377318050_b182372c8a_z.jpg5377318436_f823a4c28b_z.jpg5376718511_891a0890ce_z.jpg

This two horse brand patch, is like nothing I have seen before, it looks to be older than the two horse brand on my #2's. It appears that the patch has a black background with red lettering...On the bottom of the patch is a number 38 and then two small xx and then the word brand. Patch is drying out from being cleaned, looks like I will be able to read it better when it is totally dry.

^This is amazing stuff....History unfolding in front of our very own eyes, I don't think we all realize just how spoiled we are to have you on here! I can think of a few Japanese guys who would kill to get this close to the real deal...

The fly buttons on this piece are marked Levi Strauss & Co, all of the other fly buttons I have come across are blank. It's pretty cool... This guy was wearing a rope belt, crazy that my father in law was standing on this piece a year ago and didn't know it.

Wow Mike,

you are a top class bloke and your love of what you do and the results that you post here are easily the best reason for being a denim-nut on sufu.

I applaud you sir.

Amen!

I hope your series of books can take the story of Levi's and jeans up through the 1970s, even if it is the really old stuff that you are most interested in.

Can't wait to see that patch after it dries.

I am still hoping that you will have a book signing on the east coast so I can finally meet you! Or I guess I will have to come out to LA.

5376715313_ce8d95c067_z.jpg5376716143_d3d0800545_z.jpg5377318050_b182372c8a_z.jpg5377318436_f823a4c28b_z.jpg5376718511_891a0890ce_z.jpg

This two hoarse brand patch, is like nothing I have seen before, it looks to be older than the two hoarse brand on my #2's. It appears that the patch has a black background with red lettering...On the bottom of the patch is a number 38 and then two small xx and then the word brand. Patch is drying out from being cleaned, looks like I will be able to read it better when it is totally dry.

Amazing Mike!!!!!!!!!

If he was talking about the book... sounds like he paid almost $100.00 usd for it?

Yes, I paid nearly $100 for the book and it was worth it.

The jeans go for much much more in Marwins, people hold the jeans all the walls side and they pay installments for them...it's crazy. Stuffs at Marwins don't come cheap but the amount of stuffs they have in that small space is crazy