Jeans of the Old West: A History

aho

I just got the book, thanks big time Mike. I had high expectations, and they were easily surpassed. I am much better with concepts than details, but this book is really helping me get the dates and details down pat. Not only does it look fantastic (great pictures), but the scholarship is impressive as well. It is really a credit to your work. I can't wait for the follow-up.

Fabulous rivets pics, thanks. I love the old, small lettering.

AS the person who helped contribute to the fashion for hand-hammering rivets for the older, flat look, it's worth pointing out that all Levi's rivets up to the 1920s were done on a machine, and the tops are quite even. If you're flattening them yourself, one good tap is the way.

Fabulous rivets pics, thanks. I love the old, small lettering.

AS the person who helped contribute to the fashion for hand-hammering rivets for the older, flat look, it's worth pointing out that all Levi's rivets up to the 1920s were done on a machine, and the tops are quite even. If you're flattening them yourself, one good tap is the way.

Has one of those rivet machines ever surfaced?

Not to my knowledge. ANd I only know this from speaking to Lynn; she believes that the rivets themselves didn't change in 1925 or whenever it was, merely the way of applying them. I am ready to admit I know nothing at all about riveting machines - in fact, to be accurate, it's likely that the earlier rivets used a die, rather than a specific machine, as I think you can see variation in the top between the rivets on one pair of jeans.

In my antique rummaging, I have come across turn of the century (or so) tack riveters. It's not a big machine, but a little handheld, articulated device. They are not the modern pull through nail style, but squish them with a die. I've seen roundish dies, and one with a center pin (probably helped keep the rivet post from slumping to the side). I don't know how they did it at Levis, but we may be trying to imagine a bigger, more "industrial" environment than was in actuality.

^^that sounds like sense to me! after all this was all an evolution from horse-blanket riveters right? so I'd guess it'd be more the equivalent of this kind of thing:

nepparipihdit.jpg

is this the sort of device you're talking about JH? given that this would work fine for small level production it would presumably have taken a while for orders to become big enough to be worth inventing new machinery?

incidentally for those that don't know how a basic kick riveter works I just put up some pictures on the last page of the Tender Co thread;)

edit- or of course, as any (ex) fashion student knows, could it have been more like one of these horrible things?:

l_prym403101.jpg

5242462849_f2a49913ba_b.jpg

Not to my knowledge. ANd I only know this from speaking to Lynn; she believes that the rivets themselves didn't change in 1925 or whenever it was, merely the way of applying them. I am ready to admit I know nothing at all about riveting machines - in fact, to be accurate, it's likely that the earlier rivets used a die, rather than a specific machine, as I think you can see variation in the top between the rivets on one pair of jeans.

I think your correct about a die, my father in law thinks that a hammer and some kind of tool was used. I think I will do a rivet study, I have been looking real close at all of my rivets and I am hard pressed to find any dimples on the center post, of any of my 1870's rivets? I will start with this single 1880 Levi rivet, it looks like a tool mark on the center post? Rodeo thanks for your input, that tool you posted is something to consider. Joseph sure would like to see some of those tools that you have come across! Thanks for the smokes Joseph, very NICE!!!!

Sansome, love the pics man. Ain't nothin like some nice macros of hardware. You should post those pics in the hardware thread. A genius started that thread I heard.

http://www.superfuture.com/supertalk/showthread.php?t=160746

Mike

Echoing what rnr and entertainment have said -

cracking close-up shots of those early rivets.

What did the world of denim-nuts do before this thread (and your book of course)? Love that first world war rivet particularly.

When are you starting the follow-up book (1890-1922, wasn't it?)

Mike

Echoing what rnr and entertainment have said -

cracking close-up shots of those early rivets.

What did the world of denim-nuts do before this thread (and your book of course)? Love that first world war rivet particularly.

When are you starting the follow-up book (1890-1922, wasn't it?)

Thanks Heech, book is going to be from 1860 to 1925, we have trippled our information since the first book. Second book will be complete in about 4 months, the Levi chapter is going to be huge(40 plus pairs and tons of new information) I found that pair that you wanted pictures of, I will send the pictures tomorrow.