ok, so i'm doing some big time new lens hunting, and i figured i'd throw the question out here for you all to hopefully gets some experienced advice. any help is welcome.

shooting a crop sensor canon right now and i'm debating between a new walkaround / all purpose lens to keep on the body most of the time.

number one choice is the 17-40 4L, its not as fast as I'd like, but the price is what i'm shooting for and I can carry it over when I eventually buy a 5D.

next is the ef-s 17-55 2.8, which has great reviews, but i hear that the build quality is not up to par with the L lenses, even if its glass is. but at 1,000 bucks its more expensive than the equivalent L, should I even consider this lens??????

any other suggestions are welcome but these two lenses stand out to me optically having messed around with each of them a bit.

I guess my other option is getting a few primes. I've never shot one before, but I figure at least getting one to use in low light is not a bad idea. the 28mm 1.8 and the 50mm 1.8?? but then i'm screwed on the wide end unless I get the 10-22.

Z, the 17-55 def. is an L level lens with great resolution and sharpness, and it has slightly less distortion than the 17-40 (dont know if that even matters since most just PP everything anyway). If you considering a 50mm prime, try the Sigma 50 1.4, its already becoming quite legendary and is extremely sharp, just need to find a good copy, or send it in to sigma for calibration

ok, so i'm doing some big time new lens hunting, and i figured i'd throw the question out here for you all to hopefully gets some experienced advice. any help is welcome.

shooting a crop sensor canon right now and i'm debating between a new walkaround / all purpose lens to keep on the body most of the time.

number one choice is the 17-40 4L, its not as fast as I'd like, but the price is what i'm shooting for and I can carry it over when I eventually buy a 5D.

next is the ef-s 17-55 2.8, which has great reviews, but i hear that the build quality is not up to par with the L lenses, even if its glass is. but at 1,000 bucks its more expensive than the equivalent L, should I even consider this lens??????

any other suggestions are welcome but these two lenses stand out to me optically having messed around with each of them a bit.

I guess my other option is getting a few primes. I've never shot one before, but I figure at least getting one to use in low light is not a bad idea. the 28mm 1.8 and the 50mm 1.8?? but then i'm screwed on the wide end unless I get the 10-22.

if you're going full frame eventually fuck an ef-s. it's a waste of money/investment unless you're committing to the crop sensor body.

if you like zoomy lenses get the 16-35L and 24-70L + 85 1.8 (awesome setup once you go ff)

the 17-40L is a dog in comparison.

shooting with a zoom or primes merely comes down to preference. my comfort zone is in primes so that's what i use.

Z, it all depends how soon you are going full frame. The 17-55 is the best lens for a crop, period. Don't worry about the build quality, it's not an issue and is the excuse people use for not spending so much on a lens. You could pick up a 24-70 or 16-35 which could act as a fast zoom until you go FF but you'll be sacrificing a bit on the wide or long end and won't have IS.

If it were me, and I wanted a zoom faster than f4, I'd buy the 17-55 and sell it later when you go full frame. They hold their value very well.

4591280990_fa04cdda56.jpg

examine the zipper?

Sorry, it's something I noticed after a bit haha.

and quick question for the Nikon camps- I need a new body that'll autofocus with my older AF lenses; my D40 won't do that. So I was considering the D80, or a D200 which I found deals for (I was thinking those since it's not too far off budget for me- can't really spring for a newer body). Suggestions, reviews on battery life for them? All I'm concerned about are the autofocus ability for the older AF-D lenses and battery life.

Lack of motivation has killed my photog for the last few months but it seems the bug is back with early sunrise trips and hiking all day to get 'that' photo. I sometimes wonder if we're mad but it's worth it.

IMG_2983.jpg

IMG_31041.jpg

IMG_93131.jpg

IMG_9706-copy1.jpg

IMG_8031.jpg

really beautiful work wise, very impressive. also a big fan of the winter ride pics riff! here's a photo from a small set i recently completed at Versailles. The photos were shot on an older Canon eos film camera and some super basic 200 iso fujifilm. They definitely need some work but for some quick daytime snaps I was fairly happy with them.

4594970500_a2415f425c.jpg

The remainder of the set can be viewed on my weekly blog.http://www.documentmagazine.ca/weeklies

Great pics Wisie, totally worth it if you ask me

Yep, lovely shots wisie!

@ givencollective - I like these. Easy to forget how much more effort when into it when we were shooting with film! :)

Another from this past winter...

rainbow.jpg