the best way (and only way you should, if you want to avoid the Nylon/Paper/Vice anti-aesthetic that's so popular nowadays) to use flash is to bounce it, either off the ceiling of a nearby wall.

you can also use a synch cord and hold the flash away from the camera, so it looks a little more dynamic.

i ended up forgetting my 580ex at home so i just used the on camera flash for all the band shots. i actually hate almost all of those shots to be honest and really regret forgetting the flash.

I dont think they look bad, I suspected that you might've used the cam flash, but they still got a good vibe to them I think.

you know, compared to the arguments earlier (and in vol. 1), this thread is really shaping to be a very pleasant read. :)

Pshhh, arguements are what make this thread!

As far as "party pictures" go, they will always be held up to this standard in my mind. My best friend Christian Hansen's story on his friends in Louisville:

http://photojournalism.org/2006webimages/webwinners/fps1/index.htm

No flash required...

nice again DUM. by the way I managed to find a yashica GSN that was actually maintenanced just a while back so should be in good shape too, will get it in a while :)

heres an odd pic I found, I must've been quite hungover at the time because I barely remember taking this.

odd1.jpg

Elyse Butler "Do something creative everyday"

So i went to a Russian Circus last night. It was a strange event so i decided to shoot it in a strange way...get out of my comfort zone more or less.

All pictures shot with direct on-camera flash (285v) with an amber filter and a two foot long piece of tinfoil snooted on the flash. It looked like i had a tinfoil gun that fired off beams of golden light every few seconds. It was fucking awesome. The results wernt the greatest, but i gotta try something new...

44v9j15.jpg

44l3lgj.jpg

2qci3yx.jpg

2layjuw.jpg

333fjx3.jpg

2ihldsh.jpg

2zodi55.jpg

2qnwi3b.jpg

2hdtg9j.jpg

Carl just called dibs (no joust) on the extreme vigneette steez. I like how the effects work on some of the photographs. Since you can't see much, the empty space becomes such an integral part of the image while removing it from any context. Or something like that.

I'll post pillow fight pics and comic con pics later.

Elyse Butler "Do something creative everyday"

So i went to a Russian Circus last night. It was a strange event so i decided to shoot it in a strange way...get out of my comfort zone more or less.

All pictures shot with direct on-camera flash (285v) with an amber filter and a two foot long piece of tinfoil snooted on the flash. It looked like i had a tinfoil gun that fired off beams of golden light every few seconds. It was fucking awesome. The results wernt the greatest, but i gotta try something new...

The effect of your mods reminds me of a modified, elliptical Holga. The shots themselves are like some dark French carnival, where people have a tendency to disappear or turn up multilated and part of the freak show.

Canon 20d with a 20mm 2.8 lens.

Very interesting insight kauflust

It helped that I was listening to Calexico's the Black Light when I read your post. :D

Play practice tonight;

4gqr3tc.jpg

I didn't even notice that this was a guy getting his makeup done until my second glance. This caught moment of gender incongruity is great.