I think if allot of you guys are really serious about being better photographers you should first learn technique. You never want to be limited by you technical ability. There are TON of books out there to help with the basics like exposure, color balance, understanding how to use depth of field and one very important tool "reciprocity".

After you've perfected your technique then probably the most important thing for any artist is to figure out if you have something to say. Then ask yourself how I'm I going to say it and why is it important to communicate that to other people?

One of the most important things is to find your vision/style. This is one of the most difficult ambiguous things to do as a photographer or an artist for that matter but thats what will separate you from everyone else. The way you see the world and how you are able to communicate that vision. All the great photographers had a style to their work no matter what the subject you could see a style running through their images and this style is not just a technique like shooting with a certain type of lenses its a look thats in all their work.

My advice to all that are serious about being better photographers is gain as much knowledge as you can by reading about technique and then look at great photographers work. Seeing good photographs will teach you what a good photograph looks like. If your stuff doesn't measure up keep working at it till it does. The technical part can take a very long time to get consistent at.

The hardest part is finding your personal way of seeing. Thats something that can't be taught. It has to be discovered by each individual.

Heres a quote by Ansel Adams:

"No man has the right to dictate what other men should perceive, create or produce, but all should be encouraged to reveal themselves, their perceptions and emotions, and

to build confidence in the creative spirit."

Some singles from my recent trip to Whitesburg, Ky.

From the same family as my other Appallachian work. I collected audio too so at somepoint within the next 3 months ill post the story with audio. For now its just some random selects from this past weekend. Ignore the quick and dirty toning on a few...

Sunday i get to go to my first Cock Fight :D

Def tells a story.

Reminded me, Vice had a whole issue on the Appalachians. Was an interesting read.

CARL....DONT HURT 'EM!

your definately doing really well with that project from the samples you've posted up here. I respect what you're doing, and this is a perfect example of solid technical foundations being put to good use. You should look for funding to continue this work once you get out of school because if you connect with the right people, you will probably be able to get at least enough paper to cover some of your expenses. Your use of light and shadow is really great, and I can see a little bit of Trent Parke mixed with some Pellegrin/Majoli influence. Its not derivative though...definately developing its own identity....

I've been talking alot with friends and teachers lately about personal vision, and what it takes to differentiate ones work, from not only "the herd", but more importantly, from those whose work you respect and admire.

In a meeting with Stephen Shore earlier this week, He dropped a little gem on me as follows (mind the poor paraphrasing): "There are two things that make a good picture, and by extension, a good photographer. The first is an understanding of how photographs function as objects...How the qualities of the three dimensional world are rendered on the flat plane of the picture, and how the spatial relationships translate. The second, is meaningful perspective. One that can convey an understanding of what the photgrapher is interested in saying with an image. You can take a million classes in practical photography, that will allow you to execute the first flawlessly again, and again. The second however, is more complex, and I don't think I would be too far fetched in saying that you will be better of taking a class in history, or contemporary politics, than yet another photography class in this regard."

Real dry, and slightly obtuse, but I gleaned alot from it none-the-less. What I think he is saying is that to make interesting pictures, you can't just be a cloistered artist, but have to really live in the world and be its student. The more of a scholar you are personally, the better you will become at creating pictures that go past mere "documentation" or even "commentary", and begin to speak on their own merits. I thought that was pretty fucking interesting. Take it for what you will.

Work here looks good. I think some people get a lil crazy with their CSII and what have you, but I still get excited when I see "Photography post Vol. 2" at the top of the page. Keep grinding.

RBW an interesting comment by Mr Adams again

'A great photograph is a full expression of what one feels about what is being photographed in the deepest sense, and is, thereby, a true expression of what one feels about life in its entirety."

I think that sums it up perfectly and could be said of work any art form.

When I look at an image I don't want to see the technique it should all be invisible, transparent and be there to enhance the visual statement.

Carl you are really doing some really good work. Keep it up.

Its great to see some good work and a post with some real substance courtesy RBW. To be able to have a conversation with a photographer like Shore is an amazing opportunity. I wish more photographers in the learning process would take the time to go see lectures and exhibits especially openings when the artist is there. You learn can learn so much by listening. I had a professor that studied with Callahan and Siskind and remained friends with Harry. Because of that I got a chance to meet and talk about photography with Harry.

Its also great to see that there are some out there like Carl that are taking the time to learn photography. I mean really learn it. It shows in his work. I reject the jaded conclusion the Sontag made about photography though some of that does exist its good to see it hasn't consumed the art form the way she said it would.

hi all,

very, very good knowledge here. and all your works are just awesome.

one quick question though, i am really digging the instruction to 'learn with either 35mm or 50mm' first.

the problem is this... i heard that for dslrs, u have to multiply the focal length by 1.3 or 1.5 because the censor size, etc. (im a newb) so that means 50mm used with dslrs will not actually be 50 mm but more like 60 - 70mm?

does thtat still mean i can still buy 50 mm to use with D80 and to learn with it? thanks!

hi all,

one quick question though, i am really digging the instruction to 'learn with either 35mm or 50mm' first.

the problem is this... i heard that for dslrs, u have to multiply the focal length by 1.3 or 1.5 because the censor size, etc. (im a newb) so that means 50mm used with dslrs will not actually be 50 mm but more like 60 - 70mm?

does thtat still mean i can still buy 50 mm to use with D80 and to learn with it? thanks!

I know Canons Ds are like 1.6 so a 35mm would be 56mm. I don't like zoom lenses and I think if you're just learning a 50 or in you case a 35 would be a great place to start.

hi all,

does thtat still mean i can still buy 50 mm to use with D80 and to learn with it?

thanks!

Sigma do a good 30mm 1.4 that's designed for 'cropped' sensors to come up as pretty much standard perspective. It behaves itself in most lighting situations, and at 1.4 is a pretty fast standard.

http://flickr.com/photos/xlucx/sets/72157594542018201/

more coming soon

thoughts appreciated

I like those, good party pics. what did you shoot with? did you use an external flash for the later pics?

I'm still struggling with gig photos, if I shoot without a flash I cant get enough light without the pic being either too dark or the camera too slow (=shaky). with a flash they seem to turn a bit "point and shoot" looking. this was in a really dark spot though, they're stage lighting sucks.. I guess I have to keep trying :P