Shoes that look better with age...

mizanation

Has anyone around here ordered a pair of white's from their catalog?

I just got my catalog and I've been looking through it and found some things that were a little strange...

special size patterns for weird feet and such will run you an extra 175 dollars and an extra 100 dollars for boots made for you after that.

the white's semi-dress is $380 for single leather sole and $395 for vibram

shipping is based upon how much your order costs? 17 dollars for items over 300 dollars( I think that would be about right for the weight of the boots) and an additional $150 deposit will be added to the total.

that sounds a little crazy and means I'm going to need to give them a total of $547 :eek:

even though its a deposit, it just sucks having to get so much money ready especially when you don't have much.

also, if you used the catalog, did you trace your foot on the included foot pattern and supply your measurements? i've always been interested in this and the possibility of a "perfect fit" from white's. So I'm wondering if it all worked out and if you think it was worth it.

the $365 they are sellin for at line gear looks more and more appealing...

i ordered a pair of whites through the catalog a couple of years back. did the foot tracings, and i guess that i'm lucky and don't have weird shaped feet, cause i didn't have to pay any extras.

they are worth every penny. don't get as much wear as i should here in nyc, but they are a perfect fit of course and should last nearly forever.

the last pair of boots i had before them was in 1989 and were a pair of dayton's (also made from measurements) and i could have just re-built those instead of buying whites, but decided to splurge.

will post some pics when i have a minute to take some, but to stay on topic, whites definitely look better with age.

i ordered a pair of whites through the catalog a couple of years back. did the foot tracings, and i guess that i'm lucky and don't have weird shaped feet, cause i didn't have to pay any extras.

they are worth every penny. don't get as much wear as i should here in nyc, but they are a perfect fit of course and should last nearly forever.

the last pair of boots i had before them was in 1989 and were a pair of dayton's (also made from measurements) and i could have just re-built those instead of buying whites, but decided to splurge.

will post some pics when i have a minute to take some, but to stay on topic, whites definitely look better with age.

did you have to pay the deposit?

also.

I called baker's shoes and they said they can work from foot tracings for anyone who cares

and...

baker's has options for "custom boots" and "made to measure" boots with a price difference of 100 dollars...

so with all these types of retailers, how are they going to get these sizes right? Are they knowledgeable enough to know what size I would need from my foot tracing?

lastly...

has anyone used Baker's boots with a foot tracing?

here are my white's:

05192009003.jpg

and here are the dayton's from 1989:

05192009004.jpg

i don't remember having to pay a deposit to white's but it was a couple of years ago, so my memory is hazy. sorry i can't give more detail on that part.

Georgia Boot "Pair A Troopers" 70's version - these are pretty scraped up from a fall off my motorcycle

L1020927_2.jpg

I want boots like this. I've been loving my combat boots, but their soles are glued on. I want something, that appears to be goodyear welted, like those.

Are corcorans welted in the the same way? I want something resoleable.

dscf0003q.jpg

本篇以皮製靴作舉例,照片中是通常拿到由漆皮(或類漆皮)面製作的全新鞋子狀態

此類皮革再完成後表面經常會有一層猜測是保護上色塗料或者皮革的蠟(或者膠、膜等物質)

目前尚未查出是何種物質

dscf0005.jpg

因此皮面呈現霧狀沒有太多光澤,另外還有可能有些許殘膠、粉塵等等

dscf0006r.jpg

dscf0007o.jpg

以往的文章中已經多次提過,不建議在新鞋狀態就上保養油

此時的鞋子狀態看起來會很像塑膠製品,不好看也不自然

有一個很好的解決辦法能夠再鞋子使用初期就讓皮革呈現自然光澤

dscf0001k.jpg

此類的獸毛刷可以發揮很大的功效

常見的獸毛刷如:豬鬃刷、馬鬃刷 都是很好的選擇

由於獸毛表面有類似鱗狀組織因此清潔與打磨效果都很好

順帶一提如何辨認獸毛刷與素膠刷的區別

dscf0002s.jpg

真正獸毛必定會有多種不同深淺顏色混雜而成一束毛,而塑膠製品則多是單一顏色

使用上就以毛刷在皮面上不斷輕力來回刷

直到自己滿意的程度

dscf0010b.jpg

請自行比較先前未處裡時與這張處裡過後的照片

我同常會戲稱這是替皮革“開封“

dscf0013u.jpg

相信這樣的皮革光澤會讓鞋子更自然且好看

而且操作簡單毫不費力

dscf0015f.jpg

Wait, someone is actually going to use these boots for their intended use? No way.

My brother in law works crew for the Ventura Country Fire and he wears White's. I'll have to take a picture of them next time i'm there to show you guys. Imagine what running up and down mountains will do to those.

^ Did a real logger just join SUFU, 'cuz if so, that's some serious mindsplode.

I compete for my school's forestry team, and one of my single events is pole climb (along with H-chop, V-chop, team sawing events, team log roll, etc. etc.)

In actuality, pro pole climb competitors use bike shoes with custom spikes that are more up my the toe, and fold back as you bring your foot up, then lock in place when you push back into the pole.

Neither me, nor the forestry, is about to shell out for gear like that, so we just use the standard pole climbing gaffs that hook under the arch of your boot. A double layer metal shank would help a bit in pole climb.

chrispy: You should buy Wesco Highliners for your logger competitions!

I have a pair and they are built like tanks! All Highliners come with reinforced leather flap over the insides of the boots by the toe, Steel- reinforcement on the sole on inside of boot, hard toe and heel cup, and steel insert in middle of the heel stack for gaff-protection.

My Highliners are 10" height, Redwood leather, regular toe, double steel shank, with steel toe. I got them off the Wesco website under "factory seconds" Some great deals there. The only problem with mine was they stamped the Wesco logo embossing on the insides of the boots rather than the outsides.

p5211163a.jpg

p5211178a.jpg

p5211164a.jpg

p5211176a.jpg

p5211167a.jpg

p5211169a.jpg

p5211174a.jpg

p5211171a.jpg

p5211172a.jpg

Sizing is pretty standard for boots. Go with your Redwing size or Alden Indy size.

I won't be doing any arbor or pole-climbing work in these, but I did buy them to wear primarily with my jeans (because they look really cool) and also to wear on the job when I have to do a lot of warehouse work: I work at a liquor store so on days when our big deliveries come in I am lifting cases of wine and spirits, stocking shelves and working with the pallet-jack, etc...

Hot damn, this might be my favorite semi-dress configuration yet:

IMGP7543.jpg

what is this one? Yes, I know it's a semi dress....

Are you going to be doing labor in those? I can't imagine wearing those, despite how cool they are unless I was clear cutting a precious forest, or bounty hunting somebody with an axe.

If I get them, I will be. Chopping, sawing, pole climbing.

Actually, my school just hosted the largest northeast collegiate woodsmen competition a few weeks ago.

One of the hottest things I've ever seen: Really hot girl, wearing cut-off carhartts, stihl suspenders, and big ass logging boots.