Roy. (expurgated edition)

rnrswitch

I was just looking at the sizes offered at selfedge.. and noticed that there are no 35's and 37's offered. I thought the 1 inch increment sizing of Roy's was a nice option. Are they still available to special order? I currently own a pair of 36 and 37's... but still losing some weight.

New Roy pricing: It is a bit steep, but at least the product has not changed and the jeans are still 100% Roy. And being able to buy them from selfedge will be nice for first time buyers that may be off a size. Remember how everyone agonized about getting the right size? At least now it will be a relatively easy option to say.. "i want to exchange for 1 size up".

So, after failing miserably at trying my hands at shrinking my jeans once again, I am now adverse to machines in general. Got random streaks down my ROYs, after last night's hot wash that is the patented 'tsunamiboy85 wash' a.k.a. Loser wash.. :(

never again am I going to trust technology with my jeans.. Hahaha. Unless someone can tell me where I went wrong..

So anyway, measurements..

BiG style measurements

Waist: 32 inches --> 30 1/4 inches

Inseam: Just a hair under 37 inches --> 34

Thigh: 10 3/4 inches --> 10 1/4 inches

Knee: 8 5/8 inches --> 8 1/4 inches

Hem: 8 1/8 inches --> 8 inches

Good thing my waist is comprised mainly fats, managed to squeeze into them.. And really, the denim's rather nice, with what mikecch described as 'loom chatter'.. Great character, and nice feel to it. Just sorry I massacred them..

So, after failing miserably at trying my hands at shrinking my jeans once again, I am now adverse to machines in general. Got random streaks down my ROYs, after last night's hot wash that is the patented 'tsunamiboy85 wash' a.k.a. Loser wash.. :(

never again am I going to trust technology with my jeans.. Hahaha. Unless someone can tell me where I went wrong..

So anyway, measurements..

BiG style measurements

Waist: 32 inches --> 30 1/4 inches

Inseam: Just a hair under 37 inches --> 34

Thigh: 10 3/4 inches --> 10 1/4 inches

Knee: 8 5/8 inches --> 8 1/4 inches

Hem: 8 1/8 inches --> 8 inches

Good thing my waist is comprised mainly fats, managed to squeeze into them.. And really, the denim's rather nice, with what mikecch described as 'loom chatter'.. Great character, and nice feel to it. Just sorry I massacred them..

post pictures.

did you have them inside out when you washed them? did you use the spin cycle?

Well, sorry if I sounded melodramatic but the jeans r actually fine.. Hahaha.. Just some faint creasing and streaking..

I don't know how a washing machine works exactly, but while it was washing, the clothes do get tumbled ard a fair bit. I took them out before they were spun dry, if that's what u guys mean by spin cycle. :) thanks for the tips!

So, after a few hours in them, they have actually stretched out to bearable size. These r the tightest pair of jeans I own!

Fit pictures, lousy lighting and pics, but the best I could do..

Front

d98ee597.jpg

Back

4f27b63e.jpg

Too tight, especially the arse.

Well, sorry if I sounded melodramatic but the jeans r actually fine.. Hahaha.. Just some faint creasing and streaking..

I don't know how a washing machine works exactly, but while it was washing, the clothes do get tumbled ard a fair bit. I took them out before they were spun dry, if that's what u guys mean by spin cycle. :) thanks for the tips!

So, after a few hours in them, they have actually stretched out to bearable size. These r the tightest pair of jeans I own!

Fit pictures, lousy lighting and pics, but the best I could do..

Front

d98ee597.jpg

Back

4f27b63e.jpg

the fact that so many people ended up with ROYs that were too small is baffling to me. the man obviously took the time to explain how to measure/size very clearly on his site. the measuring tab has been removed from his site (since the sizing changed a touch and measurements are on SE now), but it was very simple:

step 1 - take a tape measure and wrap it around your waist where you wear your jeans. depending on how snug or loose you wear your jeans, you can manipulate this measurement up to an inch or two.

step 2 - accept the fact that the number is bigger than the size you normally wear.

step 3 - order the size that corresponds to this actual measurement.

so what went wrong?

roys are now $275????? wow, glad i got them when them at a more reasonable price of $150.

and i was going to get my brother a pair for christmas... guess i'll have to figure something else out.

well if anyone has a 34 they want to let go of for $150, let me know!

$150 was never reasonable, it was dirt cheap.

I had plenty of chances to get at that price, but I chose not to given the cuts available. Now I would definitely buy the slim cut at $275 as my next pair.

the fact that so many people ended up with ROYs that were too small is baffling to me. the man obviously took the time to explain how to measure/size very clearly on his site. the measuring tab has been removed from his site (since the sizing changed a touch and measurements are on SE now), but it was very simple:

step 1 - take a tape measure and wrap it around your waist where you wear your jeans. depending on how snug or loose you wear your jeans, you can manipulate this measurement up to an inch or two.

step 2 - accept the fact that the number is bigger than the size you normally wear.

step 3 - order the size that corresponds to this actual measurement.

so what went wrong?

Maybe the slim cut thigh and the fact that ROYs are sized accurately threw people off. It's a sufu standard to down-size, but not with these jeans.

A lot of people have problems sizing the LVC '47s, which are a similar cut.

tsunamiboy- those will be fine, I'd wager. That denim stretches a lot, and they don't look at all bad now.

roys are now $275????? wow, glad i got them when them at a more reasonable price of $150.

and i was going to get my brother a pair for christmas... guess i'll have to figure something else out.

well if anyone has a 34 they want to let go of for $150, let me know!

ummmm, cool story bro

glass houses and all that?

Well, firstly, thanks for all the comments.. :) Personally, I am alright with the fit, now that these have stretched out a fair bit after a day of wearing.. Pretty much something different from my denimes xx.

And as for sizing issues, in my opinion, ROY jeans are slightly trickier than other jeans I have dealt with.. The way the jeans are measured is that the waist band is stretched out, not by laying them flat and measuring ala BiG, and I guess that was what threw me, and I reckon most people off..

Even people with much much more experience than me have gotten the sizing slightly off, not that it is an excuse. Hahaha.

All that aside, I think the denim is surprisingly textured and interesting, which has to be something positive in my whole 'sizing and hot wash' disaster right? :P

...except that the price increase has already been beaten to death across the internet.

I can get you a pair of 34s for $275 shipped.

Oh don't worry I will. No need to continue to rehash the subject. Post some fit pics of your $150 pair and contribute to something already.

i don't worry about such things. i also don't understand your juvenile obsession with the rep/neg rep system.

i'm sorry that you don't find commentary on prices to be a contribution (i posted a fit pic of my $150 pair a while ago) - but we don't all fancy spending $1000 on a single crummy-looking outfit, nor should the exclusive viewpoint of this site be from walking self edge/iron heart billboards like yourself (though I'm sure you disagree).

i will point out, however, that i made one comment, and since then i've just been responding to you insecure folks who are bothered by it and find it impossible to ignore - i feel sorry for you.

i think the jump from $150 to $275 is ridiculous, you don't. you were apparently privy to discussions about the price that i was not privy to, so i didn't see my commentary as redundant. just accept that and move on. realize that the best way to stop the discussion is to stop commenting, as it should be clear by now that I enjoy writing replies.

i think the jump from $150 to $275 is ridiculous, you don't. you were apparently privy to discussions about the price that i was not privy to, so i didn't see my commentary as redundant. just accept that and move on. realize that the best way to stop the discussion is to stop commenting, as it should be clear by now that I enjoy writing replies.

If you ever have taken the time to build a pair of jeans you would recognize that Roy probably wasn't making much on his 150 price. He had to keep his price low to get people to try his jeans for the first time. If you are familiar how retail sales work it is usual 2 to 2.5 times the markup so I would guess Roy might be making less per Jean. It's hard to make jeans and also be responsible for sales. In my opinion as a jeansmaker in USA I would say Roy easily has a $300 product. Just because the Japanese got their operation real efficient we are used to paying less for more but if we ever want to makeour grandfathers proud we are gonna have to support the few jeansmakers we have in this country. If we buy Roy jeans and his business develops the quality will only improve