• LHT 710
    • LHT SD-103
    • Sugarcane '47 Type II 50/50 blend
    • No more contests please!

• Replies 540
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quick update....Gordon said that the 24oz. denim is just a concept right now, still in development so the actual denim isn't even available as of yet. He is going to ask Samurai about the possibilities of accessing the Gorin no sho denim types as well as the 24 oz. so I'll let you all know what the word is!

BTW, as far as customization...we have access to EVERYTHING in their range...so no worries about what we can and can't do (aside from creating our own cut or denim, which would skyrocket the price)...

What happened to the possibility of the 17oz LHT denim, but with texas cotton? I think that would work out fast, cheaper, and great. As for a new cut, is a slight increase in rise, or taper, or something of that nature be considered a new cut? Maybe we can get a cool print on the inside pockets that makes reference to sufu? Maybe we could do a user profile thing with the patch design as the avatar, the contest jean name as the username, the contest start date/release date as the join date with the additional rep bar or whatever else. I think that would be pretty damn cool, and also be more than enough of a tribute to superdenim. It does seem a bit far-fetched though. The patch ideas sound great.

-Add a cinchback!!! The more and more I picture a 500 cut with a cinch, the more I love the idea. Don't like it? You can always cut it off!

-Black Jin arcs! I know many of you requested hidden arcs but I really feel that if we're going with the "gulls", we might as well just ask for the regular gulls since we actually have that option. IMO the black arcs are the hotness (just check out the first page casper-san example)

These are my thoughts....Since we are blurring Lee details on a Levi's inspired cut, I feel they make sense and flow well. Opinions?

not a fan of either of these ideas really.

and cutting off a cinch back? show me a picture of this looking good. I guess if its cinch back, it needs to work. never owned an effective and working cinch back.

I think s0500cut is a good decision. although it was used before, it'll be the denim which makes the different. because the denim fades, not the cut ;)

and I really think we should make a poll for every detail which has to be decided.

and when talking about leather patches, make them in the brown leather and stylewise, like they are already on the jins

emphasis added. :)

i can just imagen it shield shape back pockets x bartacked and a nice lazy s , perfection

i like this. customized bartacks? maybe a different color X or something other than an X??

why do we need a sufu reference?!

the rep bar thing is already done

^^agreed. I would rather see a BiG reference than a sufu one. Maybe this: imagine redline levi selvedge. with the white being green and the red being blue. wider than average denim and a narrow selvedge.

as far as the patch, i like all the ideas mentioned. how intricate can we be on the patch? at what point is it cluttered.

aho, I like the indigo and white pattern idea, hickory for the back pockets, maybe something fancier for the front? also, can we customize rivets and buttons?

PEACE

discourse is good.

why do we need a sufu reference?!

the rep bar thing is already done

cuz we ARE sufu

seriously at least something about sufu. it doesnt have to be anything big. just a small detail.

why is everyone tripping on the cut? as someone earlier said: it's the denim that fades, not the cut. a lot of niche cuts might seem like a good idea until it comes time to put them on EVERY DAY for a year!

i understand certain fading patterns differ with the cuts, but we should still see plenty of variation based on how people size. this LHT idea came about because there are so few faded LHT jeans here. i would much rather see two different brands' LHT denim face off in this contest than two different cuts.

my ideal pair:

>0500 cut (it's just a classic cut - only slim if you make it so)

>casper's wranger style back pockets w/ black arcs, but hidden rivets.

>15-17oz denim. any heavier gets too hot in summer. texas cotton LHT sounds REAL nice.

>levi's style front/coin pockets (don't like the wrangler/lee sloping front pockets or coin pocket up near the waistband)

>an EMBOSSED patch with a unique leather - CORDOVAN?! (this may be a stretch)

the big question on my mind is: can we do a felled outseam and selvage inseam? do we want a felled outseam? looks pretty awesome on caspers pair...

Official word from Gordon:

"I just spoke with Nogami-san and basically if we wanted to do a left hand Texas cotton denim it would require we run off a few rolls (100’s of pairs) and lot’s of planning time so he suggested we stick to one of the denim’s currently offered. The use of Jin denim on the Jin cut would be easiest but a S0500XX cut in the Jin denim could be possible, he’s checking – the left hand denim just lends itself better to a straighter less tapered cut. Stitching and detailing aren’t really an issue so anything within reason should be doable. Same goes for the patch. What we’ve done is I give my idea and let them illustrate so it still comes out with a Samurai touch.

Regards,

Gordon"

This man is working late nights just to help us organize this contest (presumably due to the time difference of NY and Japan)...kind of cheesey, but I'm really impressed with how hard Gordon works for us! BiG props to him, and can't wait till we get this thing running!

In regards to the e-mail...even though we've decided on the cut (or so the polls show us so far) it seems that it all comes down to if the machinery will take to it or not. I personally don't mind a more regular cut but we'll see what Nogami-san has to say in future updates. Our question of a Texas Cotton LHT has been answered, and really, no surprise there...but I'm not disappointed as the original idea was to use the 17oz LHT denim anyways!

I think we should wait until we get word of the cut though until we set up polling for all the details...If we do end up going with a Jin cut for convenience, I think Levi's detailing would be necessary. If we get the S0500, vice versa...anyways we'll just see what Nogami-San says!

Well doesnt the JIN come in 4 different cuts? couldnt we just get a poll or list together of who wants which cut and just apply the custom details to those cuts? or would we have to get like 100 per style? Maybe just offer one of the fuller cuts and one of the slimmer cuts?

I don't want to say too much yet without knowing for sure but if it comes down to it, I guess we'll just have to re-vote AGAIN, or at least go with the cut that's closest to the S0500... :X Apologies if thats what it comes to but no one really knows for sure (including Gordon) until Nogami-san gives us the green light or not.

mr.invincible, it it turns out the S0500 is too slim for LHT, then by way of deduction, I'm guessing the 710 wouldn't work either...

Though I'm devoted to the 710 cut, I could manage with a S0500...

17oz LHT sounds good since it's already off the shelf, it wouldn't require a stupid price premium and jin style black arcs would be cool as well as other levis501 details like 5 pocket placement and hidden rivets. A special patch and pocket bags would be nice features as would the option (perhaps with additional fee) for fancy things like a cinchback.

gahhhh you guys are killing me! ;)

Just off the top of my head here are some links to the JX series...

http://item.rakuten.co.jp/2nd/sj-s0110xj/

http://item.rakuten.co.jp/2nd/sj-s0130xj-08/

http://item.rakuten.co.jp/2nd/sj-s0140xj

Funny that the XJ's didn't get any love in the first poll?!? I still think the most ideal/balanced cut would be the S0500, however, if we go with the Jins, I'm thinking a 110 with 130 details (read: CINCHBACK lol) and Levis style pockets, etc.

Appreciate all the comments though everyone! I hate to keep switching back and forth on the whole cut issue so lets settle once and for all after we hear back from Gordon/Nogami-san.

I know we have changed directions since the onset of this contest but it was never strictly a Leepro contest...Lee inspired, yes, but not a full out Leepro jean. The idea was to utilize LHT denim...There is nothing wrong in and of itself with the Jin line and if it provides the cut you're looking for then by all means, buy away! However, what we have here is an opportunity to create something different...that might not always apply to what you want but we're just going to have to compromise. The XJ line was listed on the original poll...less than 10 (if I remember correctly) actually voted on either, total, with the S0500 and 710 being the majority.

On top of the LHT contest idea, it was suggested by Gordon (and I'll admit, I was the main supporter of the idea) to create a blend of Levi's/Lee details...Frankenstein, maybe, but if we're going to customize, why not go with a fit that gets voted on (S0500, sorry) with details we'd never get to see otherwise? There's no point in naysaying right now, the details haven't even been voted on yet (I'm sorry if my stating of my wants led anyone to believe otherwise) but really, everyone always has the choice of buying or not buying. Until then, lets try to keep patient and consider the possibilities...

I still think the 0500 cut is going to be the most versatile cut if Samurai can have it done. If you want a looser, straighter fit, sizing up one won't hurt. Same can be said with a slimmer fit and sizing down.

The Frankenstein idea is pretty unique. I think a cool idea would be to create a jean that's lht, but is also an all-Americana jean, with details from Lee, Levi's, and even Wrangler.

i know , i think ill just buy a jin instead .

if the details will be too crazy and there's a cinchback, that's exactly what I'll be doing. just get me a S0110XJ.

but I hope we use possibility and create something unique but still wearable.

About the BiG-reference: as you see the 17oz LHT has already a blue lamé. probably they can do a special run with blue and green lamé together or one side of the selvage blue and the other green

if the details will be too crazy and there's a cinchback, that's exactly what I'll be doing. just get me a S0110XJ.

but I hope we use possibility and create something unique but still wearable.

About the BiG-reference: as you see the 17oz LHT has already a blue lamé. probably they can do a special run with blue and green lamé together or one side of the selvage blue and the other green

good ideas.

The Frankenstein idea is pretty unique. I think a cool idea would be to create a jean that's lht, but is also an all-Americana jean, with details from Lee, Levi's, and even Wrangler.

I like using all three brands the best. even more of a frankenstein, and even more unique. sorry i didn't see that in your original want for the wrangler arc's aho. :thumbsup:

Wrangler patch and normal patch?

PEACE and great thread.