What are your jeans doing today?

ninetynine

I just finished a 3 day trip in Vancouver BC, it was pretty fun. My dad went up for some statistical conference, and I decided to tag along with my bike and my mom haha.

Anyway, we showed up kinda late at night on friday, got a bite to eat, and the day after I went on a bike ride around stanley park along the seawall.

It was a nice ride, really nice weather, kinda just a perfect day.

4858988509_f9d630dbd0.jpg

I also saw some guy stacking rocks which was pretty cool, he was really into posing for the photos.

4858991197_43aec24947.jpg I was thoroughly impressed, I mean, being able to balance things that well is just impressive.

That night we went to Tojo's for dinner, which was simply amazing. I forgot to take a picture of the sushi platter, but aside from that we got the Toro sashimi, and Wagyu, which were both experiences in their own.

4859613260_8f5c823d09.jpg

and

4859613658_89632cf9cb.jpg

and for dessert, green tea creme brulee and black sesame panna cotta

4859613812_9ca38c1e30.jpg

It was probably one of the best meals I've had, at least in terms of japanese food. The sake was great too. If you ever have the chance to try Wagyu, ignore the fact that it's expensive if you can, just eat it. It's worth it.

That was the first day, I'll post the second and third a little later just to avoid completely flooding this thread with pictures.

The gf and i went cycling and had a nature walk today. Great weather to cycle despite recent rainy days here in Singapore.

IMG_2595sufu.jpg

IMG_2688sufu.jpg

IMG_2687sufu.jpg

This guy probably has a sensor with a 5m radius. Had a hard time trying to get his picture

IMG_2673sufu.jpg

Rubber tapping

IMG_2667sufu.jpg

Granite Quarry

IMG_2674sufu.jpg

Rambutan Trees

IMG_2664sufu.jpg

The Suburbs is a monumental album...hoping they come to minneapolis again, my sister in law just saw them in boston and was floored by the performance. I would pay handsomely to see them...getting excited for the national and interpol now though!

^ Hah, oh the OC fair... where all the people I thought didn't actually exist in orange county all congregate in one place.

Been off the radar for a few weeks. Working my fucking balls off... launched the financial education component of one of my projects (to great response - we apparently had over 100 members show up to one of the youth clubs in Arua for the third session of the curriculum!), now ramping up to launch my next project on Saturday. Hoo boy!

Actually spent last week in Kenya for a research and staff training. Around 100 people total - from our Africa offices, headquarters and some people from partner organizations who attended for some methodological training. Despite only having 10 months of training, they decided I should be a "team leader" for the small group-work components of the training. Hah! I fudged my way through.

Pretty great week both professionally (learned a TON, made excellent connections) and personally (met some pretty rad people, loved being in a different environment)

Two Saturdays ago, I went with some colleagues to do a bit of field work in the East (Mbale district). No pictures, but learned some pretty fascinating shit on a partner organization's operations (and that you can use pig intestine to prevent termite infestation of banana plants). We then hopped on the bus with the rest of the Uganda crew as it passed through Mbale on Sunday.

Twelve hours later, arrived in Nairobi and piled into a couple of guesthouses where everyone else attending the training was also staying.

At the border, some preventative medicine, courtesy of the Kenyan government:

IMG_1607.jpg

Went out that night for a bit. Nairobi is fucking BIG. I hadn't really thought about it, and had assumed it would have a similar feel to Kampala, but it's toooootally different. I felt like a country kid in the big city - craning my neck to see the tall buildings, taking up as much space as possible on the (well-lit!) wiiiiide sidewalks, marveling a escalators and indoor malls. Had some over-priced but delicious Japanese food (been a LONG time), then a handful of us went out to a bar (pretty empty since it was Sunday).

I was at the bar ordering a beer when this broad next to me hands me a shot of tequila. I graciously accepted and wound up chatting with her and her friend. They were both probably in their late 30s. She was a massively plastic-surgery-ed up (HUGE fake boobies) Brazilian real estate agent who refused to let me speak Portuguese with her. He was a profoundly hammered Kenyan "preacher" who kept telling me he was straight and then asking me if I was suuuuure I was straight and telling me I was attractive. Entertaining duo. At one point she bought another round of tequila, and automatically put the salt and lime on her (abundant) cleavage for me. I respectfully declined.

Next morning we headed to Limuru to where the training would be held - a Christian conference center. It was beeeeeautiful - green, misty, clean, hilly. Running trails right outside reminded me that I fucking love running (just not in Kampala). And it was COLD. Apparently even Equatorial Africa is fucking chilly when you get to ~6300 feet altitude!

IMG_1613.jpg

Not too much to report on for the week - mostly lots of professional development. What was pretty funny though is that since it's a Christian retreat center, they did not "sell nor allow" alcoholic beverages. So naturally a Freshman year dorm mentality prevailed - we all brought booze in our bags and proceeded to hang out in different peoples' rooms each night, boozing it up on the sly. Fun!

Had a big bonfire dinner one night. The heat was quite welcome

IMG_1616.jpg

Thursday morning (a week ago today) we went to Naivasha Lake, to this peninsula which apparently used to be an island up 'til just a few years ago. Apparently it used to have little to no wild-life, until the makers of Out of Africa decided it was the prime spot to film their movie, so they moved in a fuck ton of "African" animals from around the country and made the place a stereotypical safari-scene.

A bit hard to see, but a huge herd of springbok and wildebeest running by in the distance:

IMG_1302.JPG

Tellasons enjoying the view

IMG_1315.JPG

Aaaaand back in Kampala I am now, sleep deprived and stressed as a motherfucker... as per usual. Gonna be crawling to the 19th, when my family's coming to visit and I'm taking a couple weeks to travel with them. Woo!

Haven't done B+W in a while, wanted to drive to a certain spot i've been looking forward to for night photography, but was waaay too drunk, so i wandered my neighborhood instead...

dinner: pork with cabbage, shiitake, scallion, other veggies in lettuce wraps + sriracha and hoisin...

4865255736_9e46fb2a79_z.jpg

1st bottle of wine...

4865255492_9ed70829c6_z.jpg

Then to the roof...and another bottle of wine.

4865254818_e5a1b6a3f1_z.jpg

4865255256_41eb39fa27_z.jpg

ahhhhhh.

4865255050_a7b6617e68_z.jpg

Haven't given The Suburbs a good listen yet. If you're up for it, Zach, Birthday Suits are playing this sat at The Hexagon. They tour so much these days, it seems harder to catch them here!

jeez Lando...that looks sweet, and maybe you can achieve some cool canvas fades on those sneakers??!!

anyway, I'm feeling a bit like another post today, my jeans went hunting for photos at a lovely little spot under a bridge in Saint Paul coming up out of downtown...i'd seen it from the road, but never been down here. It didn't disappoint.

Lowertown Depot

4867516809_9b7e8b1bfc_z.jpg

My way in to get some of the more interesting shots...

4867507405_5a1f65814d_z.jpg

some artwork

4867508775_32085fa5a8_z.jpg

4867509975_a9102afc53_z.jpg

pipes and old broken down utility features are always interesting..

4867509309_5ae24a320a_z.jpg

Almost didn't take this picture because my camera can barely do the texture justice, peeling paint with a nice splat of blue paint, I have a picture of me taking THIS picture which looks hilarious, I'm hunched over looking through my camera straight into a solid metal door...I'm sure if somebody was watching me do this they would wonder about my mental health!

4867515657_90a4a1600f_z.jpg

4867514129_89771912d8_z.jpg

4868127366_dd90c0173e_z.jpg

I do this for shots like these...worth it every fucking time!

4868127638_423ae5a723_z.jpg

4868130126_c03b78821d_z.jpg

check the WAYWT (denim) for my denim outfit extraordinaire, as well as the stupid shot of me (with my skulls falling off my ass i might add) shooting into a wall....night sufu.

yup.

Yesterday my jeans did a whole lot of cleaning. And went under the needle for the first time.

Had a few pairs of jeans I'd like to wear, but had holes in certain areas that made them useless. I don't want coins falling out of my pockets and holes in the crotch area! So I decided to try out patching things for myself, rather than going to a tailor and wasting money.

Patched a pair of Evisus. Shittest job, no pics.

Second try, Sugarcane Okinawas. Needed to reinforce the crotchal region.

c22e3b97.jpg

Shit job, but it gets the job done.

Later on worked on some jeans I bike in and did the whole X pattern stitching or whatever. Now I can bike in these again! No pics as well.

Later on...

My lady, my buddy and I went to Cafe Du Nord to catch The Phenomenauts.

Shit pic.

f695ec19.jpg

More eventful day today. Sort of.

I need some sleep.

Been a pretty boring week, spend most of my time job hunting and interviewing at different places. Picked up a new suit for my interviews because my main suit was at the cleaners(went to a bar after graduation with some friends and I sad in the corner of a booth, which meant sitting on a fist sized piece of chewed bubble gum that was hiding in the dark).

While I was at the mall getting my cheap ass suit I dropped into the lego store. Made me want to go to my parents house and dig out my crate of legos so bad.

FxCam_1280536540922.jpg

FxCam_1280536791472.jpg

FxCam_1280536714640.jpg

Here I am in my Oakland neighborhood, walkin' around on a beautiful Saturday. Sorry, it's been awhile since I've posted...life has not been kind to me regarding spare time. I picked up a Vietnamese lunch to go (veggie spring rolls and tofu salad) at Miss. Saigon first...The place is known for great vegetarian offerings even though the sign only mentions seafood. Here I am with "Timmy" the owner :

4870128370_a0c34af508_b.jpg

4870132360_c8ff10a2c5_b.jpg

I swear, Miss. Saigon serves up the most delicious Vietnamese food

in The Universe !

Met a friendly, handsome young man named "Ed" while

walking up the hill back home. Ed -- an already published

and aspiring writer -- recently moved to Oakland from NYC !

(while LandoCal seems to be doing the exact opposite !)).

Ed didn't mind being published on SuFu.

4869511377_80aa9a79aa_b.jpg

4870088604_14c4225438_b.jpg

What I'm wearing :

Iron Heart Super Tan Belt from SESF (W32)

<The waist on the 301S has gotten looser thanks to

constant wear>

Iron Heart 301S from SESF (W28)

American Apparel Unisex Tri-Blend T (XS)

Sperry Topsider shoes (6N)