What are your jeans doing today?

ninetynine

x-posted from the Burgus World Tour thread

since nobody complained i'll be posting here too! thanks for all the kind words and reps guys! appreciate it.

oh yeah, its me again with today's updates. of course its going to be largely food related since its a burgers world tour. not burgers today though.

R1001808.jpg

so we headed out today to catch a train to eastwood for some chinese food. this photo was really overexposed but i tried to selvedge (lame pun) it. if you're from sydney, maybe you can make out this train station. this is redfern train station. the area around here used to be inhabited by a large number of aborigins and today there is still an area that is inhabited by them. quite a number of years back there was a huge riot over here and because of that, it is still quite a sensitive area.

R1001812.jpg

so we got onto the train without much problems and headed on our journey to eastwood for lunch.

R1001813.jpg

got off the train and was greeted by an amazing sky and great weather. the air around here seems so much fresher. living close to the city has its perks i guess, but the breath of fresh air was well missed.

R1001814.jpg

so this is eastwood. when i got off, there were so many asians living here i didnt feel like i was in australia at all. this area had so many asian shops and i must admit it is a lot larger than chinatown in the city.

R1001817.jpg

got into the restaurant and ordered a small bowl of hot and spicy soup. pairs well with vinegar and pepper!

R1001826.jpg

then got a fried rice special as well. one of my favourite rice dishes!

R1001821.jpg

small awkward evo picture while waiting for the star of the meal to arrive at our table.

R1001824.jpg

can you guess what i was gonna have?

R1001823.jpg

how about another hint? did you get it?

R1001822.jpg

well if you're not too well-versed with chinese food, we ordered peking duck. typically its like a wrap, where you put the dark sauce on the skin and then add spring onions and cucumber, then add a slice of peking duck and wrap it up like a burrito.

R1001828.jpg

if done right, it should look something like this.

there should be an exact number of servings for duck meat for the exact number of skins, with the exact number of servings for the onion and cucumbers. this dish is usually served in 2 or 3 courses, with the first one being a wrap, then a noodle dish. sometimes it comes with a soup as well for the 3rd course but i've only had the soup once.

R1001827.jpg

today, we decided to cut short the 2 courses and opt for the wrap on the first course and the 2nd course be just the duck meat instead of being with the stir fried noodles. not a lot of meat on the 2nd course and we kind of thought we were shortchanged. but we didnt manage to finish that up, so we brought the remainders home to use it for dinner to whip up a noodle dish with that.

R1001829.jpg

walked around a bit after lunch, exploring the area as we went along. cheap knock off places and lots of supermarkets and provision shops. not too much else though. gf saw these shoes and we wondered who the fuck actually wears them!

R1001831.jpg

then went to the asian supermarket to buy ingredients for dinner. stuff here were so cheap, almost 30-50% cheaper than what we usually pay for at coles (supermarket near our place). they had a lot of asian ingredients that were difficult to find as well.

R1001811.jpg

after shopping, we took the train home as i enjoyed the express service and watched the buildings as we zoomed right along. love this life right now, carefree and not much to worry about.

hope all is well with everyone. till the next update!

R1001822.jpg

well if you're not too well-versed with chinese food, we ordered peking duck. typically its like a wrap, where you put the dark sauce on the skin and then add spring onions and cucumber, then add a slice of peking duck and wrap it up like a burrito.

You have no idea how hungry this made me! I had duck Saturday night for the first time in months, and it always tastes sooo good! + rep

R1001822.jpg

The problem is... I'm getting hungrier each time you show us the food :)

I'm definitely going to meet up with you when I go back SG next year.

Let's go find some place where we can this peking duck!

Good pics, Ran!

Never has such an seemingly uneventful day be so enjoyable.

Had to head back to campus for the first time in a while. On the left is the dilapidated School of Chemistry, on the right is one of the many sandstone buildings U. Sydney is typically known for.

img3492ni.jpg

Stopped by my old lab to say hi to my lab buddies. Not many scientists on SuFu, but this is the the ghetto synthetic organic chemistry lab I worked in for the last year of my PhD. Bringing you the drugs of tomorrow, today!! It beats a backyard shed, but only slightly.

Actually, I just heard du in another lab on my floor was distilling something when it exploded all over him. Glass shrapnel to the face, arms, and hands. Apparently he was just picking the larger chunks out of his hands in the sink before they took him to the hospital. FUCK THAT. Safety ain't no joke in a lab, wear those safety glasses people!! Fourth explosion while I was there, two of the others much larger, but nobody hurt.

Glad to get the fuck out and hopefully hook up a position at a first world research institute in the USA. Looking at U. Illinois at Chicago at the moment...

img3497j.jpg

img3500o.jpg

Swung by the student office to pick up my recently printed and bound thesis copies; 4.5 years of my life sums to ca. 300 pages in a 2.2 MB pdf file.

img3482mod.jpg

Took a stroll to the faculty office to submit it. As expected, most anti-climactic thing ever. No balloons, no streamers, no nothing. Just the satisfaction obtained from knowing that I'm a PhD graduand. The completely deadpan "congratulations" from the faculty office woman was comedy.

So, having nothing AT ALL to do for the first time in as long as I can remember, I decided to spend the afternoon reading at my favourite Newtown cafe. This book is fucking dope and highly recommended reading for anyone even tangentially interested in drug trafficking, US intelligence services, or US foreign policy and proxy wars.

img3502xg.jpg

img3503l.jpg

Spent the rest of the afternoon bumping Q-Tip and Mos Def on the balcony a quaffing Kemeny's Hidden Label shiraz...

img3509359cropmod.jpg

x-posted from the Burgus World Tour thread

today, we went to the south korean embassy again since the gf needed to get a VISA for her trip there. but unfortunately (for the 2nd time), things didnt work out again and we had to leave empty handed. so, being angry we left the building and went to somewhere nearby along hunter street, called BACCO, since we heard they served pretty good macaroons and pastries.

R1001833.jpg

here they had all the lovely cakes and pastries and pizza all kept behind the glass piece. all waiting to be eaten. they had lemon meringues, strawberry tarts and lots of others which names elude me.

R1001832.jpg

we ordered a strawberry tart, lemon meringue, dark cherry macaroon and custard roll thing. they were really really nice with my favourite being the lemon meringue since it had this tangy taste. really sweet!

R1001834.jpg

of course we ordered a few macaroons as well, passionfruit, dark cherry and pistachio. i loved the pistachio one which was really delicious. although they didnt provide the best service (bad service actually), the food made up for it.

R1001835.jpg

lemon macaroon which wasnt that bad either

R1001837.jpg

after that pre-lunch dessert (????), we went out to haymarket area to have lunch at a japanese noodle bar called menya. used to be one of my favourite places to head to, but i realised there are better japanese places around in sydney. however, they still whip up a really good and mean udon. i ordered the tori karaage udon.

R1001839.jpg

while the gf ordered a really spicy but tasty ramen. the soup they use was salty but so tasty i couldnt resist.

R1001841.jpg

got some corn toppings as well.

R1001838.jpg

and some very nice tako yaki as sides. i love how tasty these are!

so after lunch, we walked around the area and decided to pick up groceries so that we could invite our friend over for dinner. went to the market to get some ingredients, mainly beef steak, onions, mushrooms, eggs, sauces and lots more.

R1001844.jpg

then we proceeded to head home, where we unearthed almost all of our clothes and began a massive packing since we felt that the place was in kind of a mess.

spent the large part of the afternoon packing before embarking on a new tv series that we downloaded. this show called "lie to me" (im sure most of you have already heard of it) focuses on this scientist, using his observations of human microexpressions to help to solve some crime. this show was really really good and we were hooked on it for whatever time we had left!

R1001851.jpg

but then we had to stop watching the show for a bit since we were expecting a friend over for dinner. so, i helped to make dinner.

R1001852.jpg

baking the buttered corn in the oven.

R1001854.jpg

me mucking around with the camera as the gf prepared the ingredients. some help i was!

R1001855.jpg

so we made the sauce for the steak together with the caramelised onions and mushrooms. yummmm.

R1001856.jpg

thats me washing up along the way as we cooked. notice the cool kmart slippers and how well they go with the burgus plus tour denim :cool:

R1001853.jpg

and then we cooked the steak which was the main part of the meal!

R1001861.jpg

and i mucked around and sat about so i took some pictures of these tour jeans. love how comfy the bedroom slippers are.

R1001865.jpg

and then we were done! lots of cooking in between but didnt take pictures since it would look generic. had a good dinner and after that it was followed by more "lie to me". 3 more days in sydney, wait for more updates!

Seems like every time I check this thread, I'm hungry and ranon is posting fantastic looking food. Which makes me simultaneously more hungry and totally unmotivated to eat whatever crappy food I have on hand. Bastard.;)

But moving on...

Today, my jeans decided to spontaneously create a hole. The hole itself doesn't bother me too much, but I can't figure out how and when it happened. That bugs the living crap out of me.

Y29udGVudDovL21lZGlhL2V4dGVybmFsL2ltYWdlcy9tZWRpYS81Mw.jpg

It's about 1cm in diameter; the selvedge edge from the side seam partially underlies it and makes it look a bit smaller, though.

my jeans and i took a trip to Richmond today . . . for work.

IMG_6240.jpg

this gal works for CNN. she's always the head on cam. . .

IMG_6234.jpg

we're all squeezed into a small recreation room with one air conditioning unit on the wall (far right behind the tree). you can imagine how hot it quickly got. my cam is on the left.

IMG_6247.jpg

waiting for the main act to arrive. . .see the stool in the middle

IMG_6248.jpg

who is this man of mystery???

IMG_6249.jpg

oh it's just Barack :P

IMG_6256.jpg

rockin the Denimes for POTUS!!!

IMG_6241.jpg

very cool guy

IMG_6268.jpg

riff....love those shots! i always lust after a superwide...but i just can't ever bring myself to really finding a day to day use for one...maybe at the next B+H restock of the 11-16 f/2.8 Tokina i'll jump on it. so hard to find for the Canon mount though...

5040750214_b6871cb077_z.jpg

went to the playground today after work. random snapshot.

5040712796_3642ddc92a_z.jpg

i'm apparently a hack with my spot autofocus...lol, but i was trying to climb around / shoot quickly moving child at the same time, ha. why not an out of focus, "artistic" child photo huh??.

man i haven't been on here in forever. i've been busy traveling and starting a new project. so here's part 1 of some of my recent travels.

i gained some weight this summer so the pbjs that i love won't even button up. not even close. so i flew to japan for some business and to size up. finding the pbj store in harajuku was almost impossible... cause the address i got was in japanese and most people don't speak english that well. but anyway, here are some pics so you can see what the store looks like.

small little sign that leads to a little ally way where the store is

pbjstore1.jpg

ally way leads to the store front

pbjstore2.jpg

hanging jeans

pbjstore3.jpg

sizing up

pbjstore4.jpg

and tried on the purple faces for fun...but fell in love

pbjstore5.jpg

denim wall

pbjstore6.jpg

lovely sales girl ringing me up. i bought both!

pbjstore7.jpg

to be continued!!!