What are your jeans doing today?

ninetynine

First, sorry to the Dirtzy Dozen guys - went out for my last day in the MF dungarees thursday... and my memory card dies. Will post once i manage to cadge some phots.

So. Back to SDA. Back to East London.

Stop Number 1: beigels. Complimentary as per usual.

beigels.jpg

One of the first old stores we went in hat had a Cat In A Hat. I think the hat is French WW2. The cat is playing some kind of keyboard made from a gentleman's outfitters sign. The area is full of stylish characters...

catinahat.jpg

Fall is well on the way. It was cold, with strange, almost frozen rain that drifted in the wind like snow; while the light's turned blue.

stairwaytoheaven.jpg

WE got out early, too early for one of our fave shops where I tend to buy birthday presents for 30 and 40 something friends. Next one might be this machine...

robot.jpg

I"m back with the SDA, which should take me thru to December I reckon...

SDA.jpg

Obviously, a boy can't survive on beigels alone. Next stop, at Columbia Rd: this little stall sells rock and native oyseters...

oysters.jpg

Then licorice sports mixtures, and sour apple concoctions, from another favourtie shop, Suck and Chew. I hope the npper ain't going thru another growthing spurt, not when he has some 10-size vintage Levi's on the way.

andsportsmixtures.jpg

One stall has tote bags made out of old army tents. I like the idea, I've been thining of running up something similar using old denim.

canvasbags.jpg

I love this time of year, when the hydrangeas are all faded and purple. Lucy, from our regular stall, has a strange expression, not sure if that's down to a licorice or a Sour Apple sweet.

flowers.jpg

ON the way out to Present, for coffees, we stopped off at another fave store, just by this rather elegant Victorain striptease joint. Is it open on Sunday mornings I wonder??

striptease.jpg

The store is M Goldstein's . THe proprietor wears a very coold knacked military canvas coat, and for the mailing list, you sign your name in a clothbound drugs record book whcih came from an insane asylum.

I liked the monkey.

monkey.jpg

It wasn't a perfect morning - this is a dodgy area, when I got back to my old Volvo I found some gang of kids or winos had prized off the name badge at the front with a screwdriver, and attempted the same at the back. And I dropped my bleedin' camera and dented it. But I was cheered up by

this collection of Victorian topless photos. And a doll's head. A coffee from Gwilym , who we've seen before, helped some. Life could be worse. I could be a stuffed money.

glamour.jpg

head.jpg

nice post again Paul...seeing those pics of the bagel shop at bricklane and the flower market at columbia road always brings back memories of when I was a student and working in London. Those were definately some of my fave sunday morning hangouts back then in late '90s / early '00s. damn how I long for one of those salt beef bagels with extra mustard...

need to find an excuse to visit again...

From yesterday - the usual stuff: playground, walking around, dinner....

New kid at the playground:

0ff74f91.jpg

d63850b3.jpg

Yo Morse! I finally got my first 5950 - and it's been borrowed already:

119bb46a.jpg

07639d17.jpg

56402b82.jpg

They were by the hundreds... Shades of the "Birds"...

2b920c21.jpg

Dinner:

79a808cc.jpg

2f6c1721.jpg

b4a77072.jpg

Parting shot: this was my bizarre sighting of the day - anyone want to try for a caption? Heh heh!

4797e62d.jpg

i'll take you to eat your fucking heart out if you come visit me dkatz! thanks for the nice compliment. : )

Oh man... careful what you promise!

then began prep for this...

5021821671_e0bc92d77e_z.jpg

finally, as we speak sitting down doing some work on the book...thanks to the amazingly easy book creator on Aperture 3. using this as a preliminary way to figure out what I want aesthetically. cover shot. this photo seems to lend itself very well to a book cover.

5022453030_1a6cba6755_z.jpg

Dude I'm excited for/proud of you for pushing with your passion! Getting in on an art walk and working on your book? Good on you! You're definitely damn good enough to succeed on both fronts so I look forward to you keeping us posted on how it's going!

edit: also, I dig the cover-photo massively, and the way it plays with the title!

Oooookay, finally going to play some more catch-up from what my jeans were doing during my trip with the family (only 3 weeks late now...)

For those of you following along, we've already seen:

Episode I: Lamu

Episode II: Flying to Kidepo

and now we have Episode III: SHIT-TONS OF ANIMALS!

We spent 4 full days at Kidepo National Park, in the Northeast corner of Uganda (bordering Sudan to the North and Kenya to the East). The quick summary would be: SO MANY LIONS SO CLOSE HOLY SHIT HOLY SHIT HOLY SHIT!!!

I decided on a meditative cup of tea upon arrival, to take in the surroundings. HOLY CRAP THIS PLACE IS RAD. The lodge is built on a natural rock outcropping in the middle of a valley (the name is escaping me). Apoka Lodge has a very natural feel, courtesy of being built with and around natural elements, such as this gigantic rock which lines the pool on one side (you can see the corner on the left).

IMG_1804.jpg

My brother and my room. Bad. Ass. Notice the walls are all canvas!

IMG_1807.jpg

On our room balcony. Endless savanna-vista to my right.

IMG_1891.jpg

And it begins. Day one. Hour one. LIONS.

"Hark, what be these?" says the ranger (not really)

IMG_1845.jpg

LION TRACKS!

IMG_1923.jpg

(with second-hand NATO shirt, Tellason Strummers and Mount's Bay boat shoes)

THAR SHE BLOWS!

IMG_1668.JPG

We were in an open truck about 15 feet from the base of the tree in which this lioness was resting after having feasted on a fresh buffalo kill (about 15 feet to our right). So close we could hear her breathing (she was doing that holy-shit-I-just-ate-way-too-much-and-can-barely-breath kinda labored shallow breathing... pretty funny and led to running jokes for the rest of the trip).

Lookin' like a doofus. Stoked/scared as shit! (and out of focus)

IMG_1823.jpg

Another day, more lions.

IMG_1956.jpg

These are Tim and a couple of his kids. Tim's pride apparently controls half of the valley that Apoka Lodge is in. He's about 14 years old, though, so the guides were (in an adorably sad manner) explaining that he'll probably be kicked out of the pride by one of his sons pretty soon. Again, we were about seven strides (I mentally counted it out) from these lions.

A buddy of mine from home upgraded from his iPhone 3g to an iPhone 4. When I found this out, I asked if I could buy his old one off of him, since it would be handy for emailing while on the road here. He said no, but that I could have it for free! Stoked! My parents brought it out and I took this photo as a thank-you (as well as a Ugandan care package I sent back with them, and a few beers next time I'm home)

IMG_1953.jpg

Tim and the boys in the background

Tim.

IMG_1849.JPG

Continued on page two...

We were eating dinner one night when one of the guides came up and oh-so-apologetically (for interrupting our meal) asked if we would like to see some more lions. We were gone from the table at a dead sprint before he could finish the sentence.

These bad-boys (some of Tim's kids) were drinking at a little watering-hole RIGHT outside the lodge... and in fact about 10 feet from the home of one of the guides! (just out of frame to the right)

IMG_1877.jpg

Aaaaand we did see some other stuff. A ton, actually! Including:

Elephants!

Notice the one-month-old baby between pissed-off-Mom's legs

IMG_1863.JPG

It was pretty fascinating - the guides were significantly more sketched out from being around these elephants than around the lions. We gave them a MUCH larger buffer. Apparently when there's a cub (?) present, particularly one this young, elephants are NOT to be fucked with. Several of the females in this group were giving us very clear warning signs (raising their trunks like this one, uprooting bushes and beating them on the ground, etc.)

Giraffes!

IMG_1769.JPG

Surrounded on all sides by eight of these elegant suckers. Seeing giraffes run is amazing!

Zebras!

IMG_1639.JPG

More than you could shake a stick at.

and Water Buck!

Whiiich I unsuccessfully tried to catch and make my friend/dinner.

IMG_2063.jpg

At one point while we were out, we got a wheel stuck in an aardvark-hole. Little bit of bush ingenuity and we were right as rain:

IMG_1868.jpg

jack up the truck at the stuck wheel until the frame's no longer touching the ground, and drive off that sucker like it ain't no thing...

...until we drove into a mud-pit. Whoops.

IMG_1929.jpg

All four wheels stuck this time, and nothing to even try to get jack-purchase on. Sooo we called in some friends with another truck and they dragged us out. Hah!

The guides were great sports about the whole thing, and found it almost as amusing as we did.

Idi Amin started building a pretty massive lodge in Kidepo in the '70s. (Un?)fortunately he didn't finish it before being ousted, so it sat unfinished for twenty years, then caught on fire, and has since sat still-unfinished, and charred too.

IMG_1870.JPG

We went up to explore and have a sun-downer one evening.

IMG_1915.jpg

dkatz & bro.

Tellason Strummers.

Endless African savannah.

Thuggin.

I'm not a terribly religious bloke... but I'm pretty sure God is here

IMG_1983.jpg

Page 3 (final page of this installment) in just a moment...

Meet Bull-bull. Bull-bull is, you may guess, an adult bull elephant. Bull-bull is gigantic. Bull-bull hangs out around "camp" where all the guides and their families live. Bull bull hangs out there because...

Bull-bull is an alcoholic.

No joke. Dude's been hanging around/coming and going for years. He routinely breaks down doors and windows to sniff out whatever booze any of the locals are keeping in the homes. In fact at one point we were drinking beers in the truck about 20 feet from Bull-bull, who was facing away from us. My pops decides it's a good idea to say "Heyyyy Bull-bull, look at what I have!". Bull-bull proceeded to turn around, trunk raised and moving towards us (and directly towards my dad and his unfinished beer). The guides hastily started the truck and moved us along.

IMG_0419.jpg

Apparently the only way the locals have of keeping him at bay is burning red chillis... he can't stand the smell.

Wound up on the border of Sudan at one point. See? There it is. Right at my feet. I decided to neutrally straddle the issue.

IMG_1861.jpg

Second-hand NATO uniform shirt

Unlucky

Tellason Strummer

Mount's Bay (seriously.. seriously... I need some damn boots in my life)

And then I decided to poop in the ambiguously Ugandan/Sudanese wilderness

46875_907905033907_3608896_49607060_6361553_n.jpg

We decided to go visit a Karamajong village just outside the park. I've obviously been to a number of villages, but my family was pretty keen to see what "real life" was like here.

I felt a bit uneasy about it - just feels a bit exploitative to me. This feeling was reinforced by how much the kids clamored to have their photographs taken. I object to the objectifying (heh...) effect that photographing the locals to show friends at home seems to have, so I refused to take pictures of any of the people. Instead, I opted to teach a couple of the kids how to use my cameras, and let them have a field day!

A couple of my favorite results:

IMG_1897.jpg

IMG_1895.jpg

The Flat Head chambray

goofy damn brother

Mom caught a picture of the ensuing chaos

photo.php?pid=49607132&id=3608896

The last night at the lodge none of us slept much because the neighbors were being damn loud. By "neighbors" I of course mean Tim and a couple of his boys, who spent the night RIGHT outside my parents' room, roaring/woofing on and off throughout the night. GNARLY.

The next morning we found further evidence:

IMG_2040.jpg

lion tracks through the lodge compound...!

Okay, just a couple more lion shots:

IMG_1791.JPG

(eyeing some vultures after chasing the jerks away)

IMG_1796.JPG

I seriously have several hundred photos from this part of the trip alone... but I'll leave you with just one last shot from Kidepo... some of you may remember my confession about the need I always find myself faced with when in high-up beautiful places:

IMG_2023.jpg

That's all for now... but stay tuned for Episode IV: Back to Dirty Dirty Kampala!

That is gnarly DK. My sister got back from the ol' UG about a month ago. She brought me a ton of genuine wax-print African fabric, some of which has GENUINE WAX-PRINT AFRICA FABRIC printed along the selvedge.

Following up on my post from yesterday:

This is what I looked like when I set out at 12am to go strike the Kid Cudi stage.

IMG_2780.JPG

It had cooled down a lot, so I decided to try out the button-all-the-way-up. This did not last long.

IMG_2795.JPG

Waiting for the train I took a picture of the selvedge on my jean jacket.

IMG_2788.JPG

And the big bummer of the evening: while putting on my boot, the gusseted tongue tore, visible here. Still functional, but when I heard that rrriiipppp sound, my heart tore a little bit too.

IMG_2783.JPG

Got to the job sight at 1am. It's a dance studio / performance space that's frequently rented out for fashion shows and other events. Cudi had played his set but the party was still going, as you can see from this photo of a video monitor of the party. Turns out it was a shindig for Details Magazine and the Cudder was just making a guest appearance.

IMG_2797.JPG

Half an hour later the party was still going. We were waiting in the offices to be able to strike the stage. Suddenly we heard roughhousing in the studio. The party was only supposed to be in the performance space, not the studio, so we immediately feared the worst: drunk white people looking for a place to have sex. BUT NO, it was Cudi and his entourage trying to find a place to get blazed. The tech director told 'em to scram. I had hoped to meet Cudi somehow, because we went to the same high school and he was buds with my older sister. No such luck tho.

About two hours later we'd struck the stage and cleaned up all the broken glass and spilled booze.

IMG_2800.JPG

And this is me back on my street, one tired puppy.

IMG_2803.JPG

cool all around posts the past few pages.

PaulT: it sucks to have to hear that there were some young punks messing with your car. you must be feeling eager to give them some ass whooping these young shites. but that is a massively cool shop, the one with the monkey in a suit. i would love to go visit if i ever get the chance to.

riff: great post too. the dog is fucking cute! and whaddup with that. is that a sanitary pad stuck on a yellow fire hydrant?!?! what the fuck! haha, cool pictures of the flowers though!

dkatz: of course i will take you out to eat if you ever come around. i'll make sure you do the holy-shit-I-just-ate-way-too-much-and-can-barely-breath kinda labored shallow breathing thing. HA! way way way cool post, couldnt be more excited with all the pictures of the animals. pictures of lion tracks are way cool! glad to have seen your post.

mtchfrnk: you indeed look like one tired pup. before and after picture says a thousand words!

great posts everyone, must get back to rep you guys if i can! more pls!

night shooting in downtown mpls. wasn't really feelin it tonight. I'm dead tired from a bit too much to drink out last night with the wife but I decided it was too nice to pass up the opportunity. just fucked around most of the time, not trying to get anything earth shattering tonight, just having fun.

5029082970_f925edc041_z.jpg

5028419903_7e05d973b0_z.jpg

5028419681_c775ddf370_z.jpg

5028415521_3c23aab4ee_z.jpg

5028415141_b111c54e98_z.jpg

5029043516_b60666be3d_z.jpg

5029043350_c0a74b120e_z.jpg

5028420237_3b2cc484d3_z.jpg

5029034958_9e7c2ae759_z.jpg

setting up long exposures and stuff for the fountain.

5028416975_a272496fca_z.jpg

anyways, just wanted to say thanks for the rep, comments, advice, etc. lately. trying to make a big leap creatively soon, and using this place as an outlet for my photog stuff has been helpful to both motivate me further and allow me to touch base with viewers, which in any place / format will be the end result of my art. pleasing viewers, producing pleasing images is what I strive to do, and it is always a big help to receive some nods one way or the other. once the website address pops up in my sig feel free to check it out (not coming yet, but soon-ish) and when i near completion of my book i will be doing some more detailed information about what exactly it is, etc.

cheers you guys (and gals)

oh by the way. who else is EXCITED AS HELL that oktober fest seasonal brews have been out for a while. favorite time of year for so many reasons it seems!

took this shot a few days ago for an article i am working on about death and mourning (yeah, it's a little cliche.. but not as cliche as the graveyard i am shooting tuesday or wednesday ;))

5029199978_7ccd1020a2_z.jpg

today, i started the day off at work.

5028562167_0272cca45e_z.jpg

took a photo of the ande whall 15.5 oz okayama denim on my break.

5027914541_c8eb36576a_z.jpg

then, went home and ate some dinner with mom and sister, and watched mad men with mom. at eight my cousin, and fellow photographer, came to pick me up and take me to shoot in portland with him. our first goal was to shoot the st. john's bridge in northwest, but we got suuuper lost up in the hills trying to find a good spot to shoot from. so, we ended up just going downtown to shoot the freemont bridge from a spot we'd found a while ago. it was a fun night and a good learning night for sure.

5028559361_77e62f0291_z.jpg

5029175914_1409e85409_z.jpg

5028560683_c9d3b0ec21_z.jpg

5029177260_5b73f71f9f_z.jpg

click any of the images for alternate views.

Guest I LOVE LFC

Been away this weekend just gone to see my cousin and her family we haven't seen for a year. They live in great big house in Huddersfield. Not that many pictures really but we had a great time.

On the way in the car, M62, the highest motorway in England

DSCF8337.jpg

This bridge is notorious for suicides, I work for a chemical company which have large tanker fleet, lots of them have stories about this bridge, it creeps me out when I go under, it's huge!

DSCF8339.jpg

On the M62 there is a house that makes the motorway split, story goes they offered him millions ££££'s for him to move out and let them build through it, he said no!

DSCF8335.jpg

The local park with the kids and dog

DSCF8341-1.jpg

DSCF8342.jpg

Had a little train journey with Shi around the park

DSCF8349-1.jpg

And that's it for pictures really. Me and the lady took the train to Leeds on the Saturday, I wanted to go and buy some Quoddy boots and check out the Supreme stuff at a shop called Hip, in the city centre.

It didn't go quite to plan as I got nothing and wasn't really that impressed with the store, staff weren't too bad. So we ended up in a bar watching the Liverpool game and getting pissed. Then went for a class indian meal, and home to see Shi.

great post I LOVE LFC. i love to be caught in the position where i have a house built right smack in the middle so that people have to offer me tons of money so that they can build a road right through my house. haha.

edit:

^Must spread dkatz/-z-.

The only time I come into this thread is when I see dkatz, -z-, or ran, have posted. You guys are awesome!

wow, that is a really huge compliment coming from you. im glad you enjoy my posts. thanks!

x-posted from the Burgus World Tour thread

hope nobody minds me posting on both here and the burgus thread. let me know if you are find it annoying because i thought heck why not since i paid for a month of photobucket pro. unlimited bandwidth, so why not!

missed a day of update so im back here again today as always. yesterday was one of those stay home days and i was lazy as hell. didnt even want to get my fat ass out to buy some food and we had no ingredients at home so we ended up ordering pizza and watching videos. damn pretty chill.

R1001756.jpg

ordered some dominos pizza.

R1001755.jpg

got the half n half, dominos in australia is pretty different from the one we have in singapore in terms of flavours and taste. i like it better here.

R1001753.jpg

had some chicken tenders as well.

R1001754.jpg

chocolate lava fudge. i love how the thick gluey chocolate oozed out when you dug into the middle of it. kind of reminded me of how a kid in junior masterchef made something impressive as this in his 11 year old category. sidetracking but yeah, the kid was good.

R1001757.jpg

baked some chips as well. more like wedges actually since they were thick as hell (obviously lying when i said there was no more food. actually we had some microwaveable food but lazy habits die hard).

this was basically yesterday, food, videos, nap, repeat routine till daybreak. yes thats how the tour jeans rolled.

R1001761.jpg

today we decided to head out to run some errands. went out to the post office to collect a package that my gf missed. made a trip to the local post office (same place that i collected these tour jeans) at strawberry hills. funny place name. it sounds gay but no hate.

R1001786.jpg

errand running done and of course it was almost time for lunch. it is a stipulation that on every burgus world tour, we have to go have burgers and thats mandatory, so we went to newtown to grab burgers. read a couple of reviews online and the place seemed great so why not! MOO GOURMET BURGERS it was called.

R1001764.jpg

nice waitress who served us. seemed cool as fuck and did her job well.

R1001766.jpg

nice big cow on the wall that greeted us as we entered the place. i like how this seems like a cheery place, a little gimmicky yes but that was fine by all means.

R1001762.jpg

on the menu they had all kinds of burgers. they had the classic burger, duck and bacon burger (what the gf had), the deluxe moo (2 wagyu patties with lots of vegetables and cheese and eggs, this one is crazy thick, think 2.5 big macs stacked up together. wasnt too adventurous with crazy eating so held back on this one) and lots of other burgers. seemed to have a pretty interesting milkshake list too. they had a malteser shake and a lot of other crazy shakes.

R1001774.jpg

but me, i opted for a mixed berry smoothie. this one was really good, not too sour and i think they added wheatgerm, so the texture was pretty amazing.

R1001781.jpg

this was the duck and bacon burger the gf had. if you're a fan of duck, you should really try this as i thought it was really unique with the duck grinded together with the beef and made into a patty. you can taste the duck in each bite and the patty had a smoky flavour. real nice.

R1001783.jpg

i had the BIG MOO which was made of angus beef, egg, cheese, pineapples, beetroot, vegetables and tomatoes. it was by far one of the best burgers i ever had (not that i've had too many)

R1001784.jpg

not the neatest of burger eaters, i never ever know how to eat burgers this thick, so what i do usually is to eat them part by part. kinda stupid come to think of it. hahaha. how do you guys eat your burgers? ok wait, now look at the tensile strength of that egg yolk and how it refuses to break apart. now thats a fucking egg!

R1001785.jpg

yes, i am a messy eater.

R1001780.jpg

we ordered chips of course. who the hell eats burgers without chips? the sweet chili they came with was really good.

and well that was lunch.

after that, we headed around the area and went to a few shops. thrift stores, book stores, etc. newtown which is presumably an area with very rich culture, with its gay and lesbian pubs as well as graffiti filled streets was told to me that it was a hippie area with the area becoming a shadier area at night but it seemed alright to me. during the day, it is pretty bustling and the feel of the place is great.

R1001790.jpg

so here we are at one of the local record stores. i originally wanted to go to one of the record stores further up where i fondly remembered they had loads of good albums but that was further down and we were out of time and this store caught my eye.

R1001788.jpg

dropped in and they had some good vinyl. one of my favourite bands.

R1001789.jpg

another one of my favourite bands. wanted to drop some money on records but i never got around to learning on how to pick a good record player since the record player scene was not really alive at home, though i would love to pick one up someday and add to it my "collecting" hobbies.. thing about collecting kind of hobbies is you dont know what to do after a while with the collection, so i'll just continue with my CD collecting and maybe one day liquidate all of them and spend the money on records instead. but nonetheless it was nice to hold a few copies of vinyls from my favourite bands.

R1001791.jpg

had a bit more time to burn, so what the heck. went to the local hardware store. you never know what you find at places like these. if there was a cheap deal on a screwdriver set or spanner set or batteries or pliers or knives and shit like that, im sure you guys would pick it up as well. sadly nothing good was on sale for cheap.

so we left the area largely unexplored and headed out for a movie. caught "wall street" and it wasnt shitty kind of bad, but it wasnt fantastic either. seems to be the drill these days. catch lunch, then a movie, then dinner, then home. this is a great life.

R1001805.jpg

after dinner was to this place called "thai on wok". if you've been following the WAYJDT thread, you would have realised that this was the place i came to on my first night in sydney for dinner. love the food here.

R1001801.jpg

got a thai fried rice

R1001802.jpg

lemongrass chicken

R1001803.jpg

thai-style fishcakes

R1001804.jpg

and of course tom yum seafood. who wouldnt have this at a thai restaurant? food was amazing and cheap as usual and the service was spot on as well. definitely one of my favourite places for thai food in sydney, which by the way i would say is a lovely city which serves so many different kinds of cuisines that are amazing.

R1001806.jpg

and what better way than to end off the night with gelato. got my milk and cookies fix with nutella ice cream fix, from the friendly italian guy who owns this great gelato place not too far from where i live. great friendly guy who offers heaps of gelato to try and the gelato is top grade! love this place.

R1001799.jpg

of course a fit pic of them again.

self-screened t shirt (photography by yours truly)

burgus plus lot 770

black clarks leather dbs

canvas tote bag

great day today, hope to put up better updates again tmr. thanks for sitting through this. g'day!

^^Hahaha must spread ranonranonarat. Funny to see someone touring my hood. I live just off King St (Missenden Rd). King St is like the Thai food epicenter of Sydney.

If you're a coffee drinker you have to hit up Campos coffee on Missenden Rd, about a block away from the King St corner. One of my favourite things about moving back to Newtown. It's one of the best coffee shops in Sydney. All hella experienced baristas, lots of gourmet bean varieties. It's purely focused on coffee, no food, no non-caffeinated beverages (unless you count chocolate or decaf).