What are your jeans doing today?

ninetynine

xpost from the ROY x Cone contest:

What my ROYs did today:

Got in the truck:

5394349451_d91b68e9b7_o.jpg

Went to several nurseries looking for specific plants, mulch, & compost. My favorite SF nursery is Flowercraft- it's a family owned business in the bayview. Recently, after years of legal wrangling a Lowe's opened up right across the street from them and set up their crappy, low-budge, under-priced garden center, hoping to drive out all of the City's mom & pops.

My friend Abbey, who's worked at Flowercraft for 20 years, had something to say to Lowes:

5394945082_232fa84e48_o.jpg

After that I hit Flora Grubb (the owner's real name). It's SFs glamour nursery. Everything is really cute and about 30% more than you would pay for it anywhere else. Buyt Flora has impeccable taste in plants, and the nursery is full of art pieces and crazy installations:

5394349655_1d84b9c5a3_o.jpg

5394349571_470b4de423_b.jpg

Out back:

5394349711_d16ace2063_o.jpg

Across town:

5394945338_84e60b96e2_o.jpg

Lunch:

5394349781_3121c518cb_o.jpg

Planting:

5394945446_13d42c9c8a_o.jpg

One of my gardens:

5394945556_ff87b63b9c_b.jpg

Another garden later in the day:

5394349941_5249d2fb46_o.jpg

Behind this lattice-work covered window is one my least favorite people in the world. It's the basement window of the house next to my garden. In the dry months the whole garden gets hand-watered, and the woman who lives here insists on leaving her window fully opened, even when I am watering the garden. She sits on her couch and waits, and the second a drop of water hits her window she yells "I just want you to know that you are getting water on my property!"

I usually suggest at this point that she close her window. She usually slams it shut and then glares at me until I leave.

Out front the driveways for these two houses are side by side. My clients let me park in theirs, but if I get within a foot if the other drive this woman will come out on to the street and ask "Excuse me! Excuse me! Does Deborah (who owns the next door building) know you are parking here?!!"

If you ask me, that's a lot of lip from a fat, unemployed, single chick who lives in a basement and sits on her couch all day long watching reruns of Caroline in the City.

Right after I snapped this pic her baleful red piggy eyes swarmed up to the glass behind the lattice work.

"Excuse me! I didn't give you permission to photograph my window!"

That's awesome. I grew up with the Grubbs - there were, I think, five or six siblings in my neighborhood in Austin; Flora was a bit older than me, three boys were around my age. An interesting, eccentric family. I had heard about the nursery, but never been. Thanks for that detail.

Small world, eh?

Flora's nursery is a huge hit here, and has gotten a lot of national attention too.

A few more pictures from around her nursery:

5395845841_135e0733a4_o.jpg

5394349611_03fe55c81f_o.jpg

Please forgive me for the photo dump, it was pretty exhausting these past few days. Since I have but a few days left in Osaka, my friend and I decided to visit the more unique/town feel side of Japan. We took the kintetsu and JR to Nara and Kyoto. These are the better pics that I took via my iPhone 4

Here it says "Famous Nara Park"

IMG_0701.jpg

Nara has a ton of deers and when there are deers there are people who sell deer food. Took the opportunity to feed some deers. These fellas are smart or rather pretty alert when people like me approach the store that sells deer cookies

IMG_0714.jpg

One of them even ate our map; it took it straight from my friend's pocket

IMG_0737.jpg

IMG_0764.jpg

Some scenery pics of Nara

IMG_0735.jpg

IMG_0800.jpg

IMG_0802.jpg

Now for Kyoto

IMG_0820.jpg

IMG_0832.jpg

IMG_0849.jpg

On our way back saw this old cool geezer

IMG_0853.jpg

Since all the temples in Kyoto close around 4:30pm we headed back to Osaka in time for some arcade playing. My friend and I specialize in grabbing dolls. Here is my loot for one night, spent around 3000yen for 2 hours of fun. When I got the two rirakkumas some girls who were spying on me squealed Kawaii. If only my Japanese was good enough and I had balls I would have totally tried to strike up a conversation.

IMG_0855.jpg

I hope you guys enjoy!

kids are at grandparents this weekend,time to breath deeply and take the wife for a walk.

5397978351_c689785774_z.jpg

stopped by this little art gallery

5397973675_0e0c8705b6_z.jpg

nice paintings so far,time to add a real art-gem

5397974503_be30f5c0bc_z.jpg

(the jeans,not the person)

5398573742_0501a840ce_z.jpg

i must admit,i didnt felt out of place in here

5397974171_39b7e2e37b_z.jpg

on the way back i couldnt resist...

5398577620_44bff92854_z.jpg

...so sorry!

5398578052_3858b818a6_z.jpg

and always remember:dont believe everything you see here

Ha ha, great posts Almost and Max, looking forward to hitting Germany next weekend myself.

Forbidden, how did you like Kyoto? It was my favourite place in Japan, your pictures make me miss Kiyomizu Dera.

thank you Doc! Actually the square format shots are all from the Vignette camera app for Android. My Droid Incredible has quite the camera...:D

and I agree, joelz you rock.

Whoa dude. That is crazy that app. I just downloaded it, and I don't even know what to do with it, but I thank you for putting that name out there for me to download :D. By the way, I have the Evo, so I think the Incredible has the same MP as my Evo.

Guest I LOVE LFC

Took Shiloh to the play area

d0567261.jpg

62e880ad.jpg

Fell asleep on the way home

f4a43ebb.jpg

Prawn curry for tea

280e4738.jpg

Bit of an F.A cup party, plenty to drink

2500b9e7.jpg

Jeans getin all sweaty from dancing, Get Juice FM, Liverpool on people!

f55f1bd0.jpg

Have a good weekend everyone.

Ha ha, great posts Almost and Max, looking forward to hitting Germany next weekend myself.

Forbidden, how did you like Kyoto? It was my favourite place in Japan, your pictures make me miss Kiyomizu Dera.

Man I sure miss Kyoto...all my trips to Japan and last winter was my first time there. Fushimi Inarii was memorizing. As was everything else. I like the pace of life there better than in Tokyo as well. Feels more like Minnesota (Japan edition...)

Had some great okonomiyaki there, and the market is awesome as well. Damn need to go back!

another saturday, more drinking with friends. this time to the longfellow grill for $3 taps...and some really good sweet potato fries.

5400524048_b98ae25738_z.jpg

then over to one of my neighborhood favorites the groveland tap for $2.50 microbrews.

5399926565_edd3ac5b39_z.jpg

5400529056_61afb52ee1_z.jpg

Tonight i started with 2 Grainbelts, 3 Anchor Steams, then had a Mirror Pond, and a Magic Hat #9 which was one of the best beers I've ever had. definite buy.

and just got home to the good old industrial neighborhood. I actually love looking at these damn smokestacks all the time...don't really know why.

5400530826_17585df18c_z.jpg

hope you're all as drunk as I am. cheers. gonna go listen to some Jonsi and Alex and pass out.

Man I sure miss Kyoto...all my trips to Japan and last winter was my first time there. Fushimi Inarii was memorizing. As was everything else. I like the pace of life there better than in Tokyo as well. Feels more like Minnesota (Japan edition...)

Had some great okonomiyaki there, and the market is awesome as well. Damn need to go back!

^Tell me about it...I still call Kyoto my hometown (used to live a literal 5 minute walk from Kiyomizu) but I haven't been back in 4 years...It's such a magical place and I miss it dearly!

Mega: To be honest, since I grew up in major cities (Vancouver, San Francisco and Hong Kong) I personally liked Nara a whole lot more than Kyoto.

-Z-: You should definitely visit Nara next time you visit Japan. I am most certain with your caliber of photography there will be many if not few spectacular pictures to be had. By the way, the best okonomiyaki is in Osaka I think. There is this building called Shibuya something in the heart of Tennoji station of Osaka and on the 3rd floor is the place. I posted pictures of the okonomiyaki being cooked in front of our personal cooking area.

aho: Next time you return be sure to let me know, I just might drop by so I can get a more local feel of the area instead of the touristy thing of visiting Gingakuji, Kingakuji and Kiyomizudera.

That is awesome Flo, I visited the USS Intrepid in New York last month, and the USS Growler Submarine is at the side of it, really interesting stuff. I love old naval vessels, plus they make great pictures.