An Un-Official Discussion of Doughnutness

ordo

It is time to give the doughnut its due. Bring your best to play.

My personal favourite comes from a little place in Deep Cove in North Vancouver called Honey Doughnuts and Goodies. They are unofficially called Roly Polies. They tend to sell out in the morning so it is good to get them early. They come in 3 types - chocolate dipped, maple dipped and plain. They are a bit of heaven.

roly-polies.jpg

My second favourite doughnut would be the Tres Leches doughnut from the Doughnut Plant in NY. They have a piped in filling of evaporated milk, condensed milk and cream.

2008-03-30-Donut.jpg

tres-leches.jpg

Honourable mention goes to the hot grilled doughnuts served at Moto in Williamsburg, NY which look something like this:

grilled-doughnut.jpg

There is no better snack on a cold night in New York.

What you got?

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Donut is from Stan's Donuts in Westwood.

http://www.stansdoughnuts.com

http://www.stansdoughnuts.com/cinnamonrolls.html

The Huell is good too (peanut butter and chocolate. basically like a fatty reeses)

standonut.jpg

06donutf.jpg

stansdonutschocpbbitev1.jpg

otha varieties

1001170q.jpg

doughnut are a jewish conspiracy

doughnut plant on grand st isn't that great. i got it mid day so i guess it wasn't fresh, but damn nigga $2-3+ for a doughnut. what

kossar's bialys wack too. got an egg bagel there on saturday morning (lol) n shit was tough n chewy. mexicans stay making pizzas right :confused:

krispy kreme @ penn station used to be $0.98 for any doughnut. raised it to $1.10 :(

Ordo's head can make any donut the best donut ever photographed

To bring some diversity into this thread I present

Specimen A, the malasada (of Portugese descent adopted by the people of Hawaii)

Malasada1-thumb.jpg

Big fluffy balls of dough deep fried with sugar sprinkled on top (image of Leonard's, arguably the best) also comes with fillings (although its untraditional, most just opt for sugar/cinnamon-sugar powdering)

Specimen B, andagi (of Okinawan descent)

off-the-wall-andagi.jpg

Deep fried spheres of absolute joy. The co-cook at my uncle's restaurant experiments with different flavors of andagi and it's absurdly good

We now return you to your regular programing.

Not really a doughnet in the STRICTEST sense, but still fried dough so I think qualifies:

maple.jpg

bananachocolate.jpg

bouchees de castor AKA beavertails. Fried dough in a long flat shape, and covered with any of:

Nutella, Bananas, Maple-sugar sauce, strawberries, or nuts.

MMmMMmmmmMMmmm

Butler's donuts in Westport, MA, been around since the dawn of the donut made in a little clapboard house. Used to gorble these in my youth.

l

Also, Turkish donut, for variety. Like the Portugese donut, but you don't become instantly comatose/ queasy.