Ooe yofukuten world tour 2009-2010

pomata

hello my friends. got some catchin up to do. nothin too exciting yesterday. my story was in VA Beach at a church who had missionaries on the ground in Haiti when the earthquake hit, who were just getting backI]anda group of missionaries that were getting ready to leave with medical supplies and goods. i didn't have the still camera with me (and i was busy workin) to take pic's of that, but i think it's a good idea to keep in your thoughts the people there that are suffering and the folks from here that are going down to help. our station sent a crew (Art who was in one of my pic's and Jeff, who is my boss). they're onboard the USS Bataan just off the coast and are going in with Marines today to do some stories.

here's a link to my story from yesterday- http://www.wavy.com/dpp/news/local_news/local-churches-do-their-part-for-haiti

afterwards we hit up some Chipotle near town center in VA Beach. when i moved here almost 12 years ago, there was nothing in this spot but trees. now it's home to the tallest building in VA, the Westin hotel. across the street from that (not pictured) is a beautiful performing arts center. but by and large, it's your typical shopping and restaurants.

IMG_2452.jpg

IMG_2454.jpg

IMG_2455.jpg

IMG_2460.jpg

after work we went to Tortilla West (already did a segment there earlier) for cheap taco night. nothing too exciting to report here.

IMG_2468.jpg

IMG_2477.jpg

IMG_2544.jpg

IMG_2546.jpg

so that was my Monday. how was yours?

i had some time during "lunch" today to drive around and shoot a quick photo essay on Olde Town Portsmouth. this is where my station is. i actually live in Portsmouth even tho it says Norfolk in my stats (was living on the other side of the water when i signed up). again, lots of history here- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portsmouth,_Virginia

the shipyard (not pictured) is right down at the end of the street from my station. this mid-size amphitheater is directly behind my work. they have some really great bands come through here.

IMG_2604.jpg

the Bier Garden is a great bar and restaurant. one of the best selections of beer in the region.

IMG_2595.jpg

the Commodore theater was built in 1944. it was renovated in the late 90's, has one of the biggest screens in the area and is THX certified. the floor seating is set up with chairs and tables so you can order food and beer. the balcony is seats only. place looks great lit up at night.

IMG_2593.jpg

Visual Arts School

IMG_2601.jpg

i like this place. it's actually an old firehouse that was converted into a home.

IMG_2580.jpg

confederate statue at High and Court Street

IMG_2589.jpg

some skater at the municipal building

IMG_2464.jpg

downtown Norfolk skyline from the Portsmouth side

IMG_2577.jpg

the oldest Naval hospital is in the backround. can't get a good shot of the old building tho.

IMG_2574.jpg

Amazing pics shooter!

The mention of the Naval yard brings back memories. A buddy of mine, kid's dad was my dad's "boss", lived in one of the admiral's houses (those huge 3 story/6000sqft. houses) next to the yard. such an amazing place. Can't wait to visit in June.

edit: just noticed the Naval hospital in the background! my pop's old place of business, haha

ya know, the cool thing about my job is that i'm not stuck in an office all day. however, the downside is sometimes i'm thrown out into hurricanes, cold weather, hot weather or in the case today- just good ole plain stuck in court. so the bad news- not much goin on. the good news- MORE PIC'S! here's the court building...

IMG_2653.jpg

most of the time, i wait outside b/c court makes me sleepy, almost to the point of being comatose. fortunately, i am able to make do with a little afternoon sufu checkup in my "office"

IMG_2649.jpg

downtown Newport News is pretty much a dump. well...kinda. the Newport News Shipyard is one of the biggest employers in the area. and here's why-

IMG_2617.jpg

AMERICA KICKS ASS!!! WE BUILD AIRCRAFT CARRIERS BITCHES!!!! lol. that's the George Bush being built right there. they also build sub's and other stuff. the shipyard its pretty big and you're not really supposed to take pic's of stuff beyond the gate.

IMG_2607.jpg

but other than that, it's pretty much municipal buildings and corner markets for workers to grab a sandwich

IMG_2620.jpg

and nobody really "lives" down this end of town (which it is, literally, the point end of the peninusula.)lot's of beat up buildings that could be put to better use.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virginia_Peninsula

IMG_2609.jpg

alas, there are a couple of neat buildings here. the post office-

IMG_2621.jpg

the Victory Arch

IMG_2612.jpg

for you football fans, the federal court building where Mike Vick had his bankruptcy hearings at.

IMG_2616.jpg

and that's the tour of downtown Newport News folks. . .

IMG_2656.jpg

good ole Bad News (Newport News for you non-VA mofos), proud origin of Mike Vick, Bubbachuck(Allen Iverson, pound-for-pound the best player to EVER play in the NBA, quote that bitch), and a bunch of other motherfuckers not worth mentioning. don't fuck around to much there, they cut niggas heads off out there(no bullshit!. burn the jawns on the George bush carrier, throw the ashes out to sea, piss all over the part that says ''george bush'' and then leave...

JEEZ!!! why is this on the third page?!?! c'mon guys make some fukkin noise!!! if you want a kick ass world tour ya gotta scream for more! this is like a rock concert- the more you yell, they louder we play!!!!

anyway, i saved this for a rainy day, which it is. the weather in VA is crazy. one day it's sunny and 60, the next day it's a nor'easter. (that's like a cold wet hurricane in the winter for those who live in other parts of the world) we went bowling last week and shot a ton of video. i'm really not sure what to do with all of it cause it was pretty much drunken silliness. might have to post that later on down the road. i had a really cool event lined up this morning that had to be rescheduled due to the rain. but, i'll have that vid posted early next week when it does happen. here's some bowling pic's to hold you guys over...

IMG_1959.jpg

IMG_1949.jpg

don't laugh

IMG_1948.jpg

if you notice, we had the entire place to ourselves. the first alley we went to was having a league night and we couldn't play. so we went to this one instead.

IMG_1929.jpg

some more flathead love!!! this girl is wearin these harder than most dudes are. you'll see when i do an evo on these later on.

IMG_1936.jpg

IMG_1952.jpg

gotta love the cheap beer pitchers at the alley

IMG_1964.jpg

this is how tv gets dem "unique" shots. . .

IMG_1955.jpg

IMG_1938.jpg

style for miles

IMG_1957.jpg

so that's it for today. i got a surprise guest on the tour today so we'll see the aftermath of that later. ALSO, i'm gonna do a surprise giveaway soon (CONUS only, sorry) so pay attention!!!! hope ya'll havin a good one...