Left Field Jeans

scotty2

Hey everyone! My name is Stryker (I like to think it's from the movie "Airplane" but I don't think my parents share my taste in comedy). This is my late intro to the contest (I've been pretty busy). I'm a senior in high school in Saint Paul, making me yet another BlackBlue participant.

My fit info: I went with a medium and I kinda regret it. Definitely a baggier fit but whatever, they're sweatpants and I can always get 'em tapered (probably will). I threw them in the wash/dryer on max heat and I got a bit of shrinkage. Seeing how some of the competition stacks up, I think my chances of winning are about as slim as the Petite Standards I bought from BlackBlue, but I haven't given up hope! Anyway, here are my pictures. I'm still getting practice with the camera so we'll see if I can improve them with time.

NQJkBpB.jpg

4bjY46V.jpg

nVBf2Kb.jpg

rq0LtCC.jpg

I think my favorite part of these pants is the leg opening, because I have the feeling there will be some really cool fading sort of like the roping on a chainstitched hem. Mine is already coming in a bit.

D0OU2Fc.jpg

And lastly, this bastard is the bane of my existence when I'm wearing these sweats. "Medium shedder" my ass.

LfPUCoX.jpg

Thanks everyone! I'm excited to be a part of this for the next year!

good to see you here, stryker. great first post!

here are my sweats before soccer tonight:

E97736EA-7D60-4A09-98F3-81AF00C94132_zps

here are susan's catching a tan in southern california:

E9EB797C-828E-45E5-AA39-62C806944267_zps

in other LF news, i hemmed a couple pairs of LF jeans for a rad tattoo artist here in MPLS named Jason. his shop, seawolf tattoo is totally within the scope of LF's vibe. check it here: http://www.seawolftattoocompany.com/

i didn't get a pic but here are his black chelseas inside out mid-hem.

A5FA5E59-FDCF-44EF-ACEF-B88D5C175D72_zps

I decided I wanted to go ahead and do a hot soak of my sweats to prevent any possibility of my fades shifting around later on.  Instead of just doing my normal soak photos, I pulled out my old GoPro, threw on the waterproof housing, and tried to make it a little more interesting. Here are some gifs I put together of the process. 

bOS79iD.gif
Filling up the tub

aQoL1Eb.gif
Bubblesssss

2GRtXiR.gif

Saturating with plates to keep them submerged

m4SO864.gif

Removal and wringing them out

LXeaOCB.gif
Rolled them up in a towel to soak up the excess moisture

CQBjp9V.gif
Started the drying process with a little space heater so they don't stretch too much on the hanger

I will post some pre-soak and post-soak measurements once they are actually dried. 

Hope y'all enjoy!

Hey guys. Loving all of the activity in here.

I finally got around to hemming my sweats on the Union Special last night. I ran some tester fabric through and it went well so I figured why not? I normally cut both legs at the same time, but since the terry has a tendency to turn at the edge I cut each leg right before sewing. Turned out pretty well.

TmFQoae.jpg

mPdu3At.jpg

Edited by pepper davies

Wow pepper, that is beautiful! I had been thinking about how cool it would be to chainstitch the sweats. I'm happy to see it looks so good. Can't wait to see how beautiful that roping is once they start fading...

Not too much roping (unfortunately), but I couldn't get too much tension on the hem due to the stretch in the fabric.  The coolest part in my opinion is that since the fabric is so thick and soft the stitches kind of sink into the loft and the hem itself has a nice tight round roll.

Not too much roping (unfortunately), but I couldn't get too much tension on the hem due to the stretch in the fabric.  The coolest part in my opinion is that since the fabric is so thick and soft the stitches kind of sink into the loft and the hem itself has a nice tight round roll.

Ah I see. That is a pretty sweet aspect nonetheless. 

I've never owned any Left Field products, but am thinking about pulling the trigger on a mystery box.

Still some good stuff sitting around?

M is getting low, but all other sizes still have pretty heavy stock.  Most of the bottoms have been dispensed at this point, but still tees, hoodies, and some other stuff available.  If you write Superfuture in the notes section or let us know your preference we'll do our best to get you what you want.

^we have a couple medium dobby shirts. PM me if you want me to send you one. 

Is there going to be a restock in that dobby shirt? Looking for a medium.

Also wtf, these might be the best shipping prices I have seen from a company. 27 for two day international?!

Yeah pick it up through Satchel.  Believe we sold the last M a week or so ago.  Not going to be rerun in that exact fabric as we'd like to be able to run new stuff continuously (and there's some cool stuff in the pipes).  I missed the dobby stripe in my size  :(

Oh also - shipping prices are calculated rate so that's exactly what it costs from Fedex.  Glad it's affordable!

Edited by pepper davies

@formulaPfaff thanks man! Great pics and such a cool idea with the gifs. I’m gonna have to get you to take some good fit pics for me this weekend! I think I might wash them before then. That should bring the waist in. I might be able to squeeze a little more length out of them.

@pepper drawstring has been working great, and I’m definitely happy to keep wearing them that way. I think a hot soak up top should shrink it some though. Great looking pup too!!!

@jyoni haha I was for sure just kidding. I got some fun activities planned for them and if it keeps staying this cold I should have plenty of time wearing them for the fades! How’s the festool stuff? I’ve only looked at any of it briefly, worth spending the extra dough for a hobbyist?

@formulaPfaff thanks man! Great pics and such a cool idea with the gifs. I’m gonna have to get you to take some good fit pics for me this weekend! I think I might wash them before then. That should bring the waist in. I might be able to squeeze a little more length out of them.

@pepper drawstring has been working great, and I’m definitely happy to keep wearing them that way. I think a hot soak up top should shrink it some though. Great looking pup too!!!

@jyoni haha I was for sure just kidding. I got some fun activities planned for them and if it keeps staying this cold I should have plenty of time wearing them for the fades! How’s the festool stuff? I’ve only looked at any of it briefly, worth spending the extra dough for a hobbyist?

thanks!  hope the wash goes well.  i'm trying to hold out until april 1 for a wash a month, but feel like they're due now

and you're considering power tools in a major us city?  very jealous.  wish that was possible in ny.   :unsure:  :P

thanks!  hope the wash goes well.  i'm trying to hold out until april 1 for a wash a month, but feel like they're due now

and you're considering power tools in a major us city?  very jealous.  wish that was possible in ny.   :unsure:  :P

Yeah I spilled some food on them and they are kinda starting to smell. I thought I'd be able to hold out longer...

I have a circular saw and some other smaller stuff right now, but it all packs away pretty quick and I've build some stuff for brewing just in my landlords parking spot, but I'm actually moving back to the bay area in about a month. I'll have access to my dad's tools once I'm out there, but it's always nice to have your own new stuff! I need to build some more brewing things and am hoping to slowly replace my ikea furniture with stuff I've built myself.

Yeah I spilled some food on them and they are kinda starting to smell. I thought I'd be able to hold out longer...

LOL, I dropped a giant piece of cake on mine the very first day.  

Just cold soaked + hot dried mine.  They fit so much better.  Will get some pics up ASAP.

@jortslife If you hang them upside down by the hems to dry they'll give you a little extra length. I bet you could get a couple extra inches if they were fully wet considering they get so heavy when saturated. Mine were pretty dry when i hung them up and once they had fully air dried i still got a little extra length in the inseam. 

sBrljobl.png

Did a cold soak on mine and dried 60min on high in the dryer.  Forumla's chart is accurate.  I noticed the most shrinkage in the waist/thigh region.  I think I might have had a little more shrinkage in inseam.  It's hard to tell the due to the angle (pointed downwards which elongates the photo) of the first photo but I can feel a very noticeable difference in fit through the thighs/knees/leg opening.

Also, for those of you worried about indigo loss, the water was only lightish blue after the short soak.  I would say very mild indigo loss at most.   

pn2Jw9ll.jpgr201TIWl.jpg

Edited by zenrunner

image-4_zps4bff7b8d.jpeg

We just got some more snow here in twin cities and I've got the day off work so I figured I would snap a pic and try and get this posting of photos down. Finally! Some posting success hahaha  I also went through and edited my initial fit pics so that you dont have to click on the link to my photobucket anymore.  I am very excited to have figured this out with Satchels help of course.

Edited by guthriegking

Snapped a quick pic of the Greasers while at work waiting for the grist case to fill up for tomorrow's brew day.  The lighting is pretty poor, but these got covered in grain dust. 

IADNpyp.jpg

It's bad here too.  Another carpenter and myself have lost a couple grand's worth of stuff to theft.  One incident was very bold, while we were there on site.

Festool is the best available for a track saw.  If you're already thinking of spending the money on a Makita or a Dewalt, then I would say absolutely pony up for Festool.  My only real gripe is that the soft-start is very rough on both the 75 and 55.  I don't know if the new 55req addresses this in its upgrades.  For a typical track cut it isn't a big deal, but the soft-start rumble was killing me with the way I had the giant 75 balanced on a rigged-up wedged track for those >45° bevel cuts in the photo.  They are very versatile saws.  The Festool will give you the least trouble hugging the track properly.

The other stuff is definitely good, with lots of cool features.  I'd have a hard time forking the extra dough over for most of it.  However the 420 Carvex, now that is quite a tool.  The strobe light makes it look like the dust is just frozen in place, perfect visibility to the line, and the pendulum stroke holds a fantastic cut.  Also, the miter saw has really, really good dust management.