the 'ask a black dude" thread vers.1.0

icandunkonu

dude EVERY black person knows the handshake and this isn't a stereotype or lie, I'm dead serious. You can be an oreo from white suburbia all your life and you still know @ least the slap hands/finger clasp combo.

Serious. I meet alot white guys that do the slap hands/finger clasp combo off gate, but there are still the ones that fuck up your rhythm and give the generic handshake. EVERY black man in a non-formal setting does the sh/fc combo to other black strangers and maybe a variation of a shoulder bump to throw in the mix. In a way it shows solidarity.

Ha. I've noticed this, too. Everybody tries to give me a variation of this handshake. Usually its just the shake with the finger clasp. I refuse to participate, instead I go for the relaxed/somewhat firm traditional handshake and people always fuck that up, trying to railroad me into a modified version with bells and whistles. No fucking way, man. We shake like our fathers shook - straight, NO GAMES, MAN. NO GAMES.

• Replies 537
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

one time i went in for the pound the other dude snapped his fingers it was awkward i felt like i couldn't trust the guy

LOL , your suppose to snap too like simultaneously.. it happens to me ,but something grabs me during that 1/2 milisec to snap also..

Sayword speaking truuff

dude EVERY black person knows the handshake and this isn't a stereotype or lie, I'm dead serious. You can be an oreo from white suburbia all your life and you still know @ least the slap hands/finger clasp combo.

Serious. I meet alot white guys that do the slap hands/finger clasp combo off gate, but there are still the ones that fuck up your rhythm and give the generic handshake. EVERY black man in a non-formal setting does the sh/fc combo to other black strangers and maybe a variation of a shoulder bump to throw in the mix. In a way it shows solidarity.

The funniest thing is when some white folks try to hit you with the advanced combos in formal settings. I went to an interview at a bank and the regional manager(white du btw) of the whole bank greeted me with slap/thumb clasp/fingersnap combo which is pretty much an advanced maneuver, I had a good laugh about that afterward, i wonder where he acquired all his exp

Probably listening to Wu and going to concerts back then .. it can advance your experience so much, that you have to kind of control your inner self of just going all wigga like lol. I bet he wanted to give you a pound and say "whatsup my brother" he fought it though.. good guy lol

The funniest thing is when some white folks try to hit you with the advanced combos in formal settings. I went to an interview at a bank and the regional manager(white du btw) of the whole bank greeted me with slap/thumb clasp/fingersnap combo which is pretty much an advanced maneuver, I had a good laugh about that afterward, i wonder where he acquired all his exp

did you get the job?

Probably listening to Wu and going to concerts back then .. it can advance your experience so much, that you have to kind of control your inner self of just going all wigga like lol. I bet he wanted to give you a pound and say "whatsup my brother" he fought it though.. good guy lol

lol

i don't like the white people pretending to be black, i feel like they're mocking black people.

i don't like the white people pretending to be black, i feel like they're mocking black people.

Believe me, the sentiment is mutual.

2299_EWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW.jpg

Though, I've never met any white people who actually act how black people portray them mockingly. Valley girls are another story, though.

Once I met this black dude at a party where he was the only black. He was really milking that shit and it was annoying the piss out of me. He tried talking history and started making shit up. I played ball to be nice and didn't call him out, though. Later that night he starts talking trash about my buddy, who's black and was not there. If only because he was the "other black" within this circle of white friends. He said that my guy "made him embarrassed to be black because he tried to be white." I then proceeded to call him a fucking faggot.

He was trying way too hard to "act white" by trying to talk western civ and shit. He didn't know his ass from his stupid face.

What the fuck is up with that shit?

Believe me, the sentiment is mutual.

2299_EWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW.jpg

Though, I've never met any white people who actually act how black people portray them mockingly. Valley girls are another story, though.

Once I met this black dude at a party where he was the only black. He was really milking that shit and it was annoying the piss out of me. He tried talking history and started making shit up. I played ball to be nice and didn't call him out, though. Later that night he starts talking trash about my buddy, who's black and was not there. If only because he was the "other black" within this circle of white friends. He said that my guy "made him embarrassed to be black because he tried to be white." I then proceeded to call him a fucking faggot.

He was trying way too hard to "act white" by trying to talk western civ and shit. He didn't know his ass from his stupid face.

What the fuck is up with that shit?

I don't think the people in Fresh Prince were trying to be white, they just spoke proper English and the men didn't wear their clothes down below their ass. Perhaps it's me though?

I fail to see how trying to talk about history means you're acting white.

I don't think the people in Fresh Prince were trying to be white, they just spoke proper English and the men didn't wear their clothes down below their ass. Perhaps it's me though?

c'mon, you know that the character of carlton was purposely supposed to be an oreo.

c'mon, you know that the character of carlton was purposely supposed to be an oreo.

It's kind of ridiculous to label things black and white, especially since the biggest influence for black culture in America has been poverty and oppression. I can't say I really believe he acted white, but more like a wealthy person.

Some things black people in this country label white are ridiculous, like wearing clothes that fit and speaking English correctly.

the whole acting black/white argument is retarded, i'll be damned if wearing pants properly and using proper grammar is gonna cost me my race card

That's the thing I've never understood about this country.

Even when I came to America I lived in a predominantly Haitian area until I was 18, so I've never had people really try to joke around with me about wearing clothes that fit or trying to speak English well, but when I came to Tampa black people associated those things with being white. No, some black people just don't want to look and sound ridiculous.

It's kind of ridiculous to label things black and white, especially since the biggest influence for black culture in America has been poverty and oppression. I can't say I really believe he acted white, but more like a wealthy person.

in your opinion, how do wealthy people in america act? like carlton??

i get what francis was talking about. theres nothing worse than the uncle tom nigga that is so used to having to embody everything black for his white cronies that he becomes a walking minstrel show..

I have a friend thats half white and filipino and is always trying to freestyle at parties although hes horrible. He tries to create a cypher in the most inappropriate situations ever.. and then gets butt hurt when I dont want to rap infront of a room full of crackers. Honestly, its all about holding your ground and rejecting stereotypes... I hate it when some niggas give in and are down with cooning out as long as it gets them attention in a situation where people could care less if they were there or not.

in your opinion, how do wealthy people in america act? like carlton??

Perhaps I should rephrase that, the character Carlton seems preppy[i believe it's the term]. He acts like a man who's never had to do a hard days work, so I'd say that could be considered acting as if he's wealthy. Considering his father[on the show] is a judge who more than likely makes a good salary, Carlton will have a wealthy person to guide him through life. Much different than if the show was Fresh Prince of Compton.

I'd like to think wealthy people in America take advantage of their situation, like getting a good education, make their family proud, and get a good job. That's not always the case though. I know some wealthy black people who conform to the stereotypical image and behavior of poor black people, which to me is absurd, especially considering they're fairly intelligent but put forth a false front that they're stupid.

I fail to see how trying to talk about history means you're acting white.

I probably should have been more specific with this one.

I was in the kitchen with an old friend of mine and he was asking me if I was still pursuing my history major. At that time I had stopped because there were no well-developed programs for central european studies within north america. My focus is on tribal migrations throughout europe. My concentration was Germanic. This dick jumped right into the conversation and started rambling on about things he obviously knew nothing about. He started talking about medieval shit in a stereotypical way and went on, and on, and on, and on, and on and the longer he went on the more he stumbled over what he was trying to say. The really unattractive thing about it was that he was trying to impress me with what he saw as a "deeper understanding of my people than most other black people had" (and yes, this was his intent) which made me want to vomit because he did not and to try to use such a thing to impress me was really, really embarrassing for both of us. I would have been fine had he not known anything about Germanics. I don't care if people aren't finely honed in the verses of my people's sagas. That doesn't offend me like it does people who play "culturally sensitive." The dude was an idiot. He was playing to what he thought "white people wanted out of him" and he was making a humiliating fool of himself. It was as if my cock was already in his mouth when we first met. Gross.

Yeah. First you see what the show was trying to present on the surface, which was an issue of wealth vs. poverty. Then, when you turn down your denial dial you start to see intent. The intent with the Carlton character was to portray a racist, uninformed, brutally shallow version of what a person with a very strong, racist objective sees as "essentially white." To deny that fact upon witnessing even five minutes of that character is absurd. Unfortuantely, I've seen the bulk of its episodes as my father used to watch that show sometimes. Ugh...

Some things black people in this country label white are ridiculous, like wearing clothes that fit and speaking English correctly.

I think you just answered your own question there.

i get what francis was talking about. theres nothing worse than the uncle tom nigga that is so used to having to embody everything black for his white cronies that he becomes a walking minstrel show..

And that's really what this kid was doing. He was trying to act "very black" while conveying a "deep understanding of" and "sympathy with" Germanic "struggles." Yes, that was his intent Get the fuck out, m'man. If he had a deep understanding of what he was talking about, which he did not, I would have thought he was down because any deep understanding requires genuine interest. This guy had no real interest in what we were talking about, but tried to sell himself off to me as a "sympathizer" when nothing I said or did conveyed a desire for "sympathy." I spoke not of struggle. He rambled on about it. It was awful. I see a lot of white people do this shit to and it needs to stop. Again, a deeper understanding is represented by conveying that deeper understanding with knowledge. People of any persuasion who so this shit and put up a front just need to be sodomized with a broken bottle.

The worst part was, he started putting down another black dude for "acting white." This dude just happened to be my friend, which is why I called him a fucking faggot. Soon after my buddy and I left. I really couldn't take it any more which sucked because I was totally trying to get down with this one little cutie who was there.

to go back a couple of pages...

i can't stand when i meet a young white male for the first time and they're cool and we're talking etc etc and then when we go our seperate ways, they always want to do some elaborate hand slap, finger snap, knuckle bump elbow pop movement like im some type of pimp.

I'm a grown man, who wears his pants on his waist and im not wearing a jersey, shake my hand like a man god damnit:mad:

to go back a couple of pages...

i can't stand when i meet a young white male for the first time and they're cool and we're talking etc etc and then when we go our seperate ways, they always want to do some elaborate hand slap, finger snap, knuckle bump elbow pop movement like im some type of pimp.

I'm a grown man, who wears his pants on his waist and im not wearing a jersey, shake my hand like a man god damnit:mad:

yeah man, i hate that shit too. not so much the handshake shit, because some white dudes just do it like Nike. The thing I have a problem with is when they get more urbanized the longer the conversation lasts.

• 1 month later...