make a case for the unlocking of waywt shit talking thread.

haptronic

there have been any number of complaints about the locking of the waywt shit talking thread and requests for the unlocking.

please use this thread in order to make a case for yourself and the thread.

i would like to see why it is those are complaining think that they are qualified to talk shit about the way other members dress.

it is always better to see who it is that is talking the shit in order to understand the perspective.

granted there are some people who themselves may not be able to dress well but are good at critique, somewhat akin to the idea that those who cannot play coach/teach/referee.

things that you have to show in order to participate in this discussion.

-a link to a post where somebody else has put you in best waywt

[obviously the more the better]

-more than 50 posts in mainline waywt

[this at least shows that you are prepared to put up your own pics]

-a link [from before this thread] of a post that you have made with someone else's pic in best waywt

[in order to hate you must show you are capable of love]

-links to constructive critiques of fits in any of the waywt/waywt disscussion threads.

['your fit sucks' 'you look like a faggot' don't count]

-links to intelligent discussion about clothing/fashion by you from anywhere on the internet.

once you can show that you qualify with any of the above, then give me a good reason as to why shit talking should be reopened. make it as articulate as you can, if the quality of your hate is good enough to warrant a thread unlocking then i should be able to tell from this.

n.b. things that disqualify you for this discussion

-you have been banned and have a new account.

[this is especially bad if when banned you claimed 'i don't need this stupid site' or 'it's only a message board']

-you have ever posted 'get on aim' anywhere on supertalk.

[this is not myspace/facebook you are a tool for posting this crap]

here is your chance, convince me.

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Alright, well...

I'm going to go ahead and ignore the rules of this thread and say that if we can manage to bring back the shit talking thread as a dual entity instead of a purely stylistic critique we can keep it cruelty-free.

When the blaster master left the shit talking thread it started to become very cruel. It wasn't funny anymore and became a real bully-fest which probably scared some people away from posting.

The initial kick I got out of it was when I was posting there, it was obvious that nobody took it seriously and it wasn't meant to be. People talked a lot of shit and not even about fits. It was language-fu and that was fun. We'd pick on wack fits, yeah. But it wasn't too harsh. I think if we remember to keep it shit talk first, and fits second, or maybe not even fits at all, it can be fun.

We have the chat edition we can use to shit on fits and because of the nature of the thread, I think it will keep things a little subtler than they were in the shit talking thread.

The shit talking thread, at one time, was and should be about talking shit. For fun and funny. It was fun and it was funny and if people were offended then no big deal, more to laugh at.

hap - get on aim!

joking, serious answer - i attribute 90% of my progress over the past year and a bit to the humiliating public discussion found in that thread. neg rep is easy to ignore if you just say to yourself "its just one person" however when people are actually discussing it it becomes difficult to ignore. also, if the moderating team was truly serious about having no channel for shit talking, they could just as easily eliminate neg rep as well, however that is still around.

also, i don't think i qualify for this discussion after going back and reading over your list.

Haptronic -

One thing I'm curious about is if you could give us some reasons why it was shut down? Was it too "cruel?" As it stands at the moment, I'm sure myself and many others are still confused as to why it is even necessary to justify the creation of a new WAYWT Shit Talking Thread since we're not really even certain why the last one was closed.

It seemed rather arbitrary. We saw time and time again that in the longterm it would always settle down to a place that was, in a large part, I think extremely useful to new members, old members, and the definition of the community. If you're so concerned about short term issues I'd be willing to moderate it at, I'm sure, considerable damage to my person "e-reputation" because I think it's something the community needs badly.

As well, I think if, like me, you'd like to see more contribution in terms of Superfashion and introducing new brands and ideas to Supershopper then it's necessary to have somewhere to go and make these ideas seem relevant.

At it's best, WAYWT Shit Talking thread forced people to look at designers in Superfashion and follow good streetwear trends in Supershopper and, in doing so, would often contribute as they took information from their and applied it to themselves. Once they begin to improve they started to develop opinions and tastes that allowed them to contribute to discussions and start threads on their own interests.

As it is, there's no reason to do so since they can just float by on whatever they've gleamed from the lowest-common-denominators of this and other forums.

As well, I think if, like me, you'd like to see more contribution in terms of Superfashion and introducing new brands and ideas to Supershopper then it's necessary to have somewhere to go and make these ideas seem relevant.

At it's best, WAYWT Shit Talking thread forced people to look at designers in Superfashion and follow good streetwear trends in Supershopper and, in doing so, would often contribute as they took information from their and applied it to themselves. Once they begin to improve they started to develop opinions and tastes that allowed them to contribute to discussions and start threads on their own interests.

As it is, there's no reason to do so since they can just float by on whatever they've gleamed from the lowest-common-denominators of this and other forums.

These are good points. What you're talking about here is a far more organized system of forums consciously cross-referencing each other. Whether or not users did this knowingly depends on the user but if we could get cross-forum discussion more actively involved with each other it might be more focused and less catty and pointless. That, and the shit talking thread might have been the perfect and only thread to do that in. Or at least the only thread where cross-forum discussions would be appropriate. You can't honestly say that, toward the end, the criticism was constructive. It was a filtration device if anything and seemed to be very low brow. It's a tricky situation but maybe we can open it up and let it work itself out for a while. People should be willing to stand up and let certain other members know when they're simply being a bitch, though.

i qualify for all of them except 50 waywt posts i think... i have 10 maybe?

so do servo and e0dnob

the main reason is that you need a system of checks and balances, kind of like there is the senate and the house in American politics. the shit talking thread ensured that waywt kept a certain standard of quality for the most part, and now that it's gone, waywt has become 90% garbage.

also reading jmatsu hate is entertaining.

I am literally not joking at all I am going to go the mall and get a cinnabon now (I hope there's a cinnabon at the mall :( )

the best case that can be made for the shit talking thread is that it will hopefully discourage shitty dressers from polluting the WAYWT thread.

With the WAYWT Shit Talking Thread in place, instead of being WAYWT Posters they'll hopefully become lurkers again and posting on WAYWT will return to being a privilige and a real question that people ask, i.e. "How does this look? I took advice and did my best to put together a cohesive outfit?" instead of "Whatever here's something I wear sometimes please +rep whatever" which basically seems to be the new tone of posting.

Before the STT there was Worst Waywt, which was basically what you guys are talking about, a place where bad waywt fits would get reposted and hated on, but solely on the quality of the fit.

A while after STT was started it started replacing worst and people started getting harsher and harsher and eventually just ripping people apart for the fun of it, which, in my opinion just "wasn't very nice"...

Another thing is that a big portion of the fits being posted currently are not even worth responding to in any way.

Add to that if you look at the "good days" of STT almost everybody posting in there was also posting in waywt quite regularly, so as Hap states, the people "hating" weren't just playing anon keyboard warrior.

I have never been the biggest fan of any of the publicly ripping people apart because of how they dress threads, but it seems that it did infact keep people from posting just anything.

It also seems that waywt has been very good for the whole community aspect of superfuture, as waywt was a place where you could see the people behind the posts (as are recent purchases, superconfessional and the music threads in a way), but our waywt seems to have turned into another place on the web for people wearing shitty stuff to cross post in.

That being said, something has to change because the current state of waywt makes me not want to browse it, let alone post.

(extremely all over the place post, also Francis, you can edit again without having to fear your post disappearing)

Guest jmatsu

servo b a mod and don't even know why shit got locked in the first place?

everybody who got it, just got it. shit may have not seemed fair (to the ones who favored it's demise) cause of the numbers, but every so often the highprofile shit-talkers got shit talked too. it brought a sense of community to members in for the log haul. members who've 4 the most part actually contributed something of value to superfuture.

and i think that a couple of members really benefited from it. evan is a living testament 2 this. mainly cause he/they applied themselves. it also provided a forum medium for inevitable internet debates...or flamewars.

fyi the shit talking thread was originally started for people to post things that were kind of bad but not worthy of the worst waywt. right now easily 2/3 of the waywt fits are awful so while they may be in the 60th percentile they still deserve criticism.

I still don't think posting fits yourself is necessary to join in on the shit talking. Rather, the qualifier should be being a decent poster.

Xeno posts a fit everyday, should people listen to his opinions?

servo b a mod and don't even know why shit got locked in the first place?

and i think that a couple of members really benefited from it. evan is a living testament 2 this. mainly cause he/they applied themselves. it also provided a forum medium for inevitable internet debates...or flamewars.

I think there might be a mod e-mail thing that goes around but I don't think I'm on it

Anyway, the flame wars points is good - when you have a designated "flame wars" thread essentially at the very least it keeps it one place.

fyi the shit talking thread was originally started for people to post things that were kind of bad but not worthy of the worst waywt.

Consider it a diffusion line of Worst WAYWT…

criticism is everything. if you only praise good fits and say nothing about the bad ones, everyone who has just started posting and hasn't been with sufu for some time has no understanding of what makes the good good and the bad bad. so you either get people directly emulating other peoples shit or just posting the same stuff every day hoping people will say something.

having been on the receiving end of some of the most bitter and uninspired hate i still think it was absolutely pivotal to where i am now much like what evan said.

-It keeps people posting

-It may keep someone in jeans+crappy t+vans or jeans+ill fitting shirt from posting. Or all 3249034 of them from posting in WAYWT.

-It keeps people browsing SuFu.

Just set some ground rules at the beginning and if mods think it's getting out of hand, throw out a few infractions and a warning in the thread. If it gets stupid, lock it.