make a case for the unlocking of waywt shit talking thread.

haptronic

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm waiting for julian to take this thread to a super-meta level any minute

Guest jmatsu

4 fun somebody make a poll thread.

i'm interested to see which high profile member would be in favor of the sst locked. would also b interested in viewing the votes of noobs or subjects who've actually been in the sst who actually are in favor it's resurrection.

hap,

better yet, if it's not a burden why not turn this very thread into a poll?

Guest jmatsu
all seriousness though, i'm with dom on this one

i owe a lot to shit talking thread, been in worst waywt and been in best waywt

plus the probability of you having a stroke has drastically decreased, right?

shit talking thread saves lives.

i would vote that noobs die at my hands

4 fun somebody make a poll thread.

i'm interested to see which high profile member would be in favor of the sst locked. would also b interested in viewing the votes of noobs or subjects who've actually been in the sst who actually are in favor it's resurrection.

hap,

better yet, if it's not a burden why not turn this very thread into a poll?

it's highly entertaining

its enlightening (for both parties..the posters placed into shit talking thrad and the lurkers)

I never got why people will bitch and complain about being attacked for something they posted volunteerly..I guess waywt shit talking edition is like a wake up call for those who think its fine to tie their laces too tight or to wear furry hunting hat with short shorts and s/l tee..

OK, I think I qualify using Hap's listed requirements, although most of my post are, by my own admittance, goofy bullshit.

The way I see it:

serious advice given in a diplomatic manner: rep or WAYWT chat edition.

SHIT TALKING: this is where you goof off and derail the conversation.

If it's clear it should help keep the mean spirited comments out of WAYWT while leaving an outlet for the harsh stuff.

I mean it's in the trash section of the site (please move WAYWT-chat out of here!) and has a name that says it all. If you don't want to hear that you look like a foul smelling emo kid you keep to the chat, I'm sure the mods will continue to do great moderation there.

I don't really meet any of the qualifications to post, but I'm feelin' feisty.

In my opinion the STT is 10x more valuable for the noobs and lurkers because it was one of the only places which criticisms were being given openly.

Whether or not it was your fit being critiqued, it would help you identify what was wrong and eventually aid you in your lurkage/learning. When it was active there was less of a need to post your own boring/bad fits, because you could view the critiques of others and learn from them, instead of posting our own fits and hoping for some critiques through rep/comments.

$0.02 from a nub

I guess waywt shit talking edition is like a wake up call for those who think its fine to tie their laces too tight or to wear furry hunting hat with short shorts and s/l tee..

I have been guilty of wearing a furry hunting hat and short shorts in the not-too-recent past:(

Edit: But not together.

hi ive been shit talked with pretty big hate, but I don't think I have a reason to cry about it considering that I'm posting a picture of myself on a fashion forum in the first place.

If I'm sharing a WAYWT with sufu, I think I'd be willing to read the opinion of sufu as well.

There wouldn't be much of a point to participate if I didn't want to read feedback on what people think, especially if a comment is on point.

I like sufu because it has an edge to it.

alright, first let me acknowledge that i have low rep and post count and no one knows nor gives a fuck who i am - but hear me out.

it's pretty clear most "high-profile" members what to see waywt stt unlocked. but what about all the dudes like me who rarely post or never post at all (of which there are tons)? i've got a number of, in my mind, very compelling reasons for sufu (as a business, as a community, whatever) to unlock the thread.

as someone who doesn't post waywts (for various reasons, not just because i'm scared of getting shit-talked), i looked at the waywt sst as a way to get advice and criticism about fits that somewhat reminded me of something i might wear. jeans, t, cons seemed like an unobjectionable fit at first, but it then became clear there are numerous ways to liven that up without much effort/cost. maybe i'd see a dude whose jacket fit like one of mine, he got shit-talked, and then i noticed, "hey, those sleeves do need to be shorter," or whatever. so all in all, i would say even for someone like me the thread helped a lot.

next, i think everyone would agree there has been a decline in quality of waywt fits. getting inspiration from the good ones is one of the main reasons i read sufu. the fact that many quality posters post less gives me less reason to visit the site. i feel there are a number of people out there like me who don't post often, but are nonetheless discouraged by the lacking quality. bringing back the thread would not only increase quality (and therefore give me more good examples to admire/learn from) but would also let me see why the bad ones were bad if i didn't get it on my own.

there was a lot of unwarranted hate... that's one argument. maybe so, but it was at least entertaining. entertainment drives up site traffic. needless to say sufu wants traffic. at the same time, unwarranted hate from those who don't deserve to be dishing it out is easily ignored. if i see, say, monitoff, mass, or yardsale criticizing something i'm inclinded to pay attention because i've seen their fits and know what they like. if someone whose style i don't like criticizes something, i just don't pay attention and move on.

all in all, i think bringing back the thread will help sufu in the long run. for everyone 2 kids who get mad they got shit-talked and late there will be fifty who stay because the quality goes back up and they use that for inspiration/ideas. i know no one cares if i read sufu or not, but for sufu as a business, losing tons of readers over something like this just isn't a good idea. sorry this was so long, but hopefully the powers that be will see its not just the regulars who want to talk shit, but plenty of people who will enjoy the site more (and get more out of it) if they are alowed to do so.

Guest jmatsu

guy, i'm sure some people here appreciate the effort/sentiment, but you have just succeeded in composing the ultimate anti-summary. you have just reiterated 90% of every logical point and are yet somehow able to have made shit long.

see? jmatsu's summarization criticism is not nearly as entertaining as his fit criticism. hah, nah, i know that's a drawn-out rehash of exactly what everyone has been saying but if hap wants to hear it from more people, well, there it is. (and longer = more convincing, right???)

Guest jmatsu
see? jmatsu's summarization criticism is not nearly as entertaining as his fit criticism. hah, nah, i know that's a drawn-out rehash of exactly what everyone has been saying but if hap wants to hear it from more people, well, there it is. (and longer = more convincing, right???)

uuhh i wouldn't call my last comment a criticism (or at least it wasn't meant to B), but more of an observation. no hate this time whatsoever, but when you get a criticism from me you'll def feel it all the right ways. your grandchildren will even be haunted by it.

uuhh i wouldn't call my last comment a criticism (or at least it wasn't meant to B), but more of an observation. no hate this time whatsoever, but when you get a criticism from me you'll def feel it all the right ways. your grandchildren will even be haunted by it.

sshhhhh man it was an argument for unlocking. and thats what i'm sayin, we need that shit back in hurr.r without it its starting to seem like a slightly more fashion-forward styleforum and shit. i know you know.

It gives people a reason to progress

people are lazy fat shitheads and they won't change themselves unless extremely motivated, and that's exactly what the shit talking thread does, forces extreme motivation in the form of extreme criticism that gives most people the encouragement to change.

The shit talking thread made people look hard at themselves and only then could they truly see themselves from another perspective and realize their flaws. It forced self reflection in a world where everyone is suppose to think they are the cat's pajamas and the most unique person in the world because they bought a pair of jack purcells or some selvage denim. The thread makes people be honest to themselves and to other people.

(only notable exception to this is fam0us and milspex for obvious reasons)

we need the shit talking thread so we can become a more honest and ethical forum. Sure there are going to be a couple of bad apples who say dumb shit just to get themselves off, but this is easily dismissed when you consider the immense good that the thread does for the forums OVERALL in a broad sense. It helps and nutures growth and honesty in a place where people tend to hide from self reflection and reality.

In all honesty, bringing back stt (which I support) isn't going to make things like they were in 2 or even 3.0. 4.0 reminds me alot of USA today, shit is fucked up, and its going to take alot of work to make it better, and it isn't going to happen immediately; but ground work needs to be set in order to get things rolling. There are other things we have to consider, such as having lost quality posters, how will we get them back? How will we foster a growth of a new witty and somewhat stylish constituency? How can we get people to want to be apart of The sufu community again? How can we make 4.0 relevant?

STT will not solve those problems, but it is a very good start. Why, because an unwritten sufu standard of quality will be established yet again for people to understand what should be tolerated by our own unique sufu community. It establishes our own identity, separating us from any other run of the mill fashion forum, something that we had, and other forums desired. There is no cohesive community without a strong identity.

Simple criticism to intricate ones, the stt was our quality control, no matter how insignificant the thread was I guarantee at least 1 new person who read that thread BEFORE posting a fit ever, was influenced to bring some sort of quality worth posting to waywt. and influencing just one person IS influence. but thats just the ones who lurk first, you can't discount how effective the thread has been for once fit offenders, for example, mellowbonsai evan and ESPECIALLY DOMDOMDOM. Thats just some.

How can we make 4.0 better, how about not just having a readable waywt, but one where people actually want to participate in it.

Hap honestly you have been given many valid reasons, it's time to stop beating around the bush, bring it back or not. you don't have to bring it back immediately, but with many valid statements by a wide array of posters including those that are considered high profile, you have enough to at least make a decision.

I would just appreciate some hint of a game plan on fixing this forum or even better fuck the plan just bring the old version back so we can be comfortable in our surroundings again. Needless to say this shit is almost unbearable.Hap I am aware that you helped build the new site but how do you truly feel while visiting and posting here compared to using the previous superfuture?

guy, i'm sure some people here appreciate the effort/sentiment, but you have just succeeded in composing the ultimate anti-summary. you have just reiterated 90% of every logical point and are yet somehow able to have made shit long.

J, I'm glad that the top of my New Years resolution list is…to be more concise.

FREE SHIT TALKING THREAK! INJUSTICE WILL NOT BE TOLERATED!

BOOYAH!

In all honesty, bringing back stt (which I support) isn't going to make things like they were in 2 or even 3.0. 4.0 reminds me alot of USA today, shit is fucked up, and its going to take alot of work to make it better, and it isn't going to happen immediately; but ground work needs to be set in order to get things rolling. There are other things we have to consider, such as having lost quality posters, how will we get them back? How will we foster a growth of a new witty and somewhat stylish constituency? How can we get people to want to be apart of The sufu community again? How can we make 4.0 relevant?

STT will not solve those problems, but it is a very good start. Why, because an unwritten sufu standard of quality will be established yet again for people to understand what should be tolerated by our own unique sufu community. It establishes our own identity, separating us from any other run of the mill fashion forum, something that we had, and other forums desired. There is no cohesive community without a strong identity.

Simple criticism to intricate ones, the stt was our quality control, no matter how insignificant the thread was I guarantee at least 1 new person who read that thread BEFORE posting a fit ever, was influenced to bring some sort of quality worth posting to waywt. and influencing just one person IS influence. but thats just the ones who lurk first, you can't discount how effective the thread has been for once fit offenders, for example, mellowbonsai evan and ESPECIALLY DOMDOMDOM. Thats just some.

How can we make 4.0 better, how about not just having a readable waywt, but one where people actually want to participate in it.

Hap honestly you have been given many valid reasons, it's time to stop beating around the bush, bring it back or not. you don't have to bring it back immediately, but with many valid statements by a wide array of posters including those that are considered high profile, you have enough to at least make a decision.

I know that because of who I am most people will disagree or hate on me just for saying this, or think I am trying to talk myself out of the shitiness of my WDYWT's (which I am not), but here it goes anyway. (for those still reading)

Mentioning that anything shouldn't be tolerated or that you need to preserve the Sufu identity is a load of shit. This is a forum not a cult and while there are rules, the general idea of a forum is to share opinions and thoughts without censorship, be it good or bad. To not tolerate something because it doesn't follow a certain mindset or standard is elitist and minimizes diversity among the members, promoting a sheep mentality. Quality control is subjective in many ways, a quick look at the runway threads shows the differences of opinion. There are some general mishaps, incongruence that is obviously unintentional. It can prove to be a good thing to call people out on these, granted that they are universally seen as flawed. But it can also intimidate new users who would otherwise post inspiring and interesting fits that may be brilliant, but not the 'sufu standard'. Shit talking is something else though, it is alienating and harassing, it is a degenerate of criticism, childish and immature. So one might say that just as well as someone posts something deemed as bad, one other is entitled to call them out on it. This makes sense, yet doesn't align with the pro-diversity mentality.

As for sufu having an identity, that is not worth the price of berating new members. On the flipside, sufu's identity would be negatively impacted by this thread, by many who disagree with it's purpose.

I think the rep system is a good compromise between my opinion, and SayWord's.