make a case for the unlocking of waywt shit talking thread.

haptronic

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

it doesn't really matter because hap will let you type what you want, but then rebuke it with specious reasoning that doesn't really relate to anything that you argued
Right on dude.

It seems to me that the people trying to defend more open and safe conversation IE- general good will vibe for this site, are doing more to destroy it than anyone else.

4.0 is hard to take, as it is a dumbed down version of what was once super, and is now seeming consciously mediocre by design.

Hap, who are you to set the standards and guidelines without offering a sense of wisdom in your guidance? right now you seem like someone who lost a argument and is acting out in the only way they can. Convince you? of what? that we differ in opinion? in fashion sense? i would not be caught dead in half the things i have seen you wear, or ever pose a argument or discussion in the manner you have in these pages. like your this thing called superfuture on your own, we are super future, we are what makes it go around, without a sense of real community this is not what you say it is, and right now it feels as if a petty tyrant is telling us whats good for us, when really, its the "us" that made all that fat puma money for the site.

If were talking about childish actions, this is narcissism at its more pristine. And thats way worse than having fun wasting time talking shit about bad outfits.

i honestly dont even care about the shit talking thread, i never lurked or posted there, but i do care that it is allowed to exist, for what it stands for. There are many neighborhoods in a city, many places to go hang out. just cause you dont like a block, or vibe, dont mean you get to tear it down. its part of what the essence of comunity is. TOLERANCE. the very thing you seem to think your fighting for.

Posts stating "TLDR" are spam.

-----

SuFu has allowed a rep system and shit talking to replace critique and discussion. A critique is no longer necessary when you've got 2k rep that tells the forum you know what you're talking about - DESPITE the fact that you can get to 2k rep without having ever made a single fashion oriented post EVER.

Do you feel as if 2.0, 3.0 were better? Oh, you had a greater variety of fits, you say? The environment wasn't as shitty, you weren't as likely to treat each other shittily, and innovation flourished?

this sums it up:

Dear Mr. Haptronic: We accept the fact that we had to sacrifice a whole Saturday in detention for whatever it is we did wrong. But we think you're crazy for making us write an essay telling you who we think we are. You see us as you want to see us: in the simplest terms, in the most convenient definitions. But what we found out is that each one of us is a brain, and an athlete, a basket case, a princess, and a criminal. Does that answer your question? Sincerely yours, The Breakfast Club.

db_ggmm, u mad? Your fits may be there, but why? Do you really think you have been contributing to the forward progress of the community in your 4 months here? Just as sufu 2 and 3 and have come and gone, the community has evolved to the point where it is now, where it doesn't need filler crap like yours to exist. Go off to your corner and enjoy your 5 or 6 pink and red rep bars.

signed,

The Temple of Jawnz

I know that because of who I am most people will disagree or hate on me just for saying this, or think I am trying to talk myself out of the shitiness of my WDYWT's (which I am not), but here it goes anyway. (for those still reading)

Mentioning that anything shouldn't be tolerated or that you need to preserve the Sufu identity is a load of shit. This is a forum not a cult and while there are rules, the general idea of a forum is to share opinions and thoughts without censorship, be it good or bad. To not tolerate something because it doesn't follow a certain mindset or standard is elitist and minimizes diversity among the members, promoting a sheep mentality. Quality control is subjective in many ways, a quick look at the runway threads shows the differences of opinion. There are some general mishaps, incongruence that is obviously unintentional. It can prove to be a good thing to call people out on these, granted that they are universally seen as flawed. But it can also intimidate new users who would otherwise post inspiring and interesting fits that may be brilliant, but not the 'sufu standard'. Shit talking is something else though, it is alienating and harassing, it is a degenerate of criticism, childish and immature. So one might say that just as well as someone posts something deemed as bad, one other is entitled to call them out on it. This makes sense, yet doesn't align with the pro-diversity mentality.

As for sufu having an identity, that is not worth the price of berating new members. On the flipside, sufu's identity would be negatively impacted by this thread, by many who disagree with it's purpose.

I think the rep system is a good compromise between my opinion, and SayWord's.

SORRY FOR MY LONG WINDEDNESS GUYS:

Your wrong, having an identity is not a load of shit, because we had an identity and it worked, which is what seems to be the problem that new people like you can't seem to understand. This forum is not a cult, but it is a community of like minded individuals who share a common sense of what they deem looks presentable, no matter what style a person chooses whether it be high street, high fashion, Work wear, abstract fashuns, etc. Sufu represented the best of these elements, and that was what made people want to post here, that was our Identity.

Sufu is very elitist, because we expected the best, no matter what your style. Saying that it minimizes diversity speaks volumes on your noobness and insolence, because diversity has always been present even with our ideals of toleration. What you are doing is trivializing the trend setters such as bill, cottonduck, and superbobo when it comes to workwear. You are trivializing the dedication of Beatle, tweeds, cheep, and many denizens of the denim forum, a subculture in it's own right and the back bone of what has established sufu as a leader in fashion and style. You are trivializing people like Still, mass, *ughk* thomas_highstreet and many others that have brought high fashion to sufu, those very same people that inspire your terrible imitations of a fit.

You are talking like you know what you are talking about, when it is very apparent that you don't.

The shit talking thread is made to intimidate new users. We don't want see any old fit, especially if you don't have your shit together. This community was made solid by heavy contributors, not by new members. That is why people wanted to post in OUR waywt and not somewhere like hypebeast or styleforum. Very rarely has a new user brought something inspirational to the table, I can only think of Jane. So your notion that it is deterring potential style influences is bogus, especially since posting a fit here is elective, and not selective. Nobody is stopping anyone from posting their fits, all we are saying that we reserve the right to talk shit about it.

Right on dude.

It seems to me that the people trying to defend more open and safe conversation IE- general good will vibe for this site, are doing more to destroy it than anyone else.

4.0 is hard to take, as it is a dumbed down version of what was once super, and is now seeming consciously mediocre by design.

Hap, who are you to set the standards and guidelines without offering a sense of wisdom in your guidance? right now you seem like someone who lost a argument and is acting out in the only way they can. Convince you? of what? that we differ in opinion? in fashion sense? i would not be caught dead in half the things i have seen you wear, or ever pose a argument or discussion in the manner you have in these pages. like your this thing called superfuture on your own, we are super future, we are what makes it go around, without a sense of real community this is not what you say it is, and right now it feels as if a petty tyrant is telling us whats good for us, when really, its the "us" that made all that fat puma money for the site.

If were talking about childish actions, this is narcissism at its more pristine. And thats way worse than having fun wasting time talking shit about bad outfits.

i honestly dont even care about the shit talking thread, i never lurked or posted there, but i do care that it is allowed to exist, for what it stands for. There are many neighborhoods in a city, many places to go hang out. just cause you dont like a block, or vibe, dont mean you get to tear it down. its part of what the essence of comunity is. TOLERANCE. the very thing you seem to think your fighting for.

great post.

Posts stating "TLDR" are spam.

-----

SuFu has allowed a rep system and shit talking to replace critique and discussion. A critique is no longer necessary when you've got 2k rep that tells the forum you know what you're talking about - DESPITE the fact that you can get to 2k rep without having ever made a single fashion oriented post EVER.

Do you feel as if 2.0, 3.0 were better? Oh, you had a greater variety of fits, you say? The environment wasn't as shitty, you weren't as likely to treat each other shittily, and innovation flourished?

Damn dis nig is mad as hell.

lmao @ dismalfuture

Is it just me or is this the first good discussion on the board since 4.0? Things are looking up!

Anyway, people shouldn't pretend to all be Johnny Do Goody's by saying that the sole purpose of STT was to prevent noobs from dressing bad and as a form of quality control, because frankly, the thread was also just a lot of people getting off by talking shit to others.

No hate, but don't deny it, is all!

Also, xono and dbgm try to make a point while they are the exact people that a part of this is about, so please, for our sake, for your own sake STOP ACTING LIKE YOU KNOW WHAT YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT!

Is it just me or is this the first good discussion on the board since 4.0? Things are looking up!

Also, xono and dbgm try to make a point while they are the exact people that a part of this is about, so please, for our sake, for your own sake STOP ACTING LIKE YOU KNOW WHAT YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT!

The discussion aspects of this thread that you are enjoying wouldn't exist without the red rep individuals talking up some of the counter points. Your mod has asked for these opinions. The green rep sheep train isn't going to provide it.

It's a pretty simple topic. There isn't 'much to know' about it. And right now, how SuFu works between rep, shit talking, pop contests, and how fragile your egos appear to be when the quality of this forum is questioned is all more interesting than the wealthy buying oversized black curtains to wear.

For what it's worth, Cotton Duck makes many of the better posts in here.

I think Astrowolfs post is by far the most eloquent expression of this argument for the STT thread

personally I found it hard to read at times when people are pissed off and troll around cuz their fit got hated on and personal attacks are not pleasent either that sort of shit put me off registering/posting to begin with. But it's more about how people react to confrontation than the prescence of confrontation itself.

It's this very confrontation which creates energy and excitement around here. I have butted heads with more than a few users and mostly this has produced positive results. You only have to look at the traffic over the past day to realize that this is the shit the future thrives on.

The discussion aspects of this thread that you are enjoying wouldn't exist without the red rep individuals talking up some of the counter points.

This is were the rest of your point doesn't matter, because post were going very well for pages before even the 1st "red rep" poster even posted.

If you hate how sufu is so much just stop posting, nobody wants you or your terrible fits here anyway. stop complaining and try improving or just leave.

I was never much of a fit-shit-talker so maybe my opinion isn't very important here. But I loved reading the shit talking thread. Even though (especially because?) my first two fits got noticed by it!

It was one of my favorite things about the board. Sure, for the clothing smack talk, but also for the general semi-mock-assholery and the space it created for getting to play into that very human need to be a schmuck on the internet.

i create a thread that has good discussion, about something that people seem passionate about. which is the point of a message board if i am not mistaken

i come under attack for this, and not only that but for how i dress, that i post my outfits on a fashion forum. i mean seriously wtf?

i have never stated that i am against shit talking thread, it was locked as a group discussion amongst the mods as it was out of hand at the time.

rather than make a good case for the reopening of the thread, the attacks in here serve to point out reasons why the thread is a bad idea, i mean if we can't discuss this without resorting to uninformed cheap shots, then what place does a thread designed for critiquing outfits have in the forum?

having said this i am going to unlock worst waywt on a trail basis.

feel free to critique outfits in there.

if the thread crosses over into the realms of hate then it will be locked again. however if this if the thread is truly the helpful thing that these arguments state then i will unlock shit talking.

the thread will not be moderated by any of the mods.

if you see something that seems out of place is an attack it is up to your to deal with it amongst the users, the mods will only step in when asked and then only to lock.

anyone who is seem to be using the thread to hate on members will be banned without recourse.

any member who makes a claim to be the real superfuture or make the site go around is more than welcome to help out by keeping the discussion in the thread civil and intelligent.

have fun.

nice one hap

in my experience, if a thread requires a lot of labor on the part of a mod, then locking it is the obvious solution, despite the thread's entertainment value

so long as MFs can avoid habitually line-stepping then we can all shit talk together without intervention from above

shit talking only got out of hand when the stee factor dropped to critical levels.

now we're still mired in that recession :(

this thread is probably the only one thats given me hope that sufu will even be a shadow of it's former self. Still it doesnt give me much hope. Frankly the amount of fun threads, inspiration members/fits, and generally useful information has dipped significantly. I dont see how we can even draw new members or welcome old ones back when so many great members have been banned, and the new users coming here have a chip on their shoulder and less swagger than the chess club.

This is were the rest of your point doesn't matter, because post were going very well for pages before even the 1st "red rep" poster even posted.

If you hate how sufu is so much just stop posting, nobody wants you or your terrible fits here anyway. stop complaining and try improving or just leave.

Missed the point. Thread wouldn't even exist to begin with. Shit, wouldn't even have the pleasure of a shit talking thread if you only had perfection to deal with anyway. Isn't that really the double edged sword you deal with? Desperately love to talk shit, yet don't want shitty fits in the waywt.

I don't hate SuFu. A little education about the rep system, time to see nearly everything in your waywt is a carbon copy (whether that's 'my' fault or not), time to sniff out the fucking illiterates, trolls, fakers, and intarwarb ganstas has just changed the way I looked at it from when I first got here.

The NSFW threads, Youtube vids, animated GIFs, lookbook.nu, supershopper discussions, and flame wars make this site a TON OF FUN to visit. I have really enjoyed the workwear, hiking, and various shoe threads.

I just got 'tricked' into thinking that the chat waywt was where people could go for advice. I used your forum WRONG. I misREAD that threads purpose. And deserved what I got out of it.

Despite all that, I look good next to my friends and co workers, and I look better than I did last xmas. I got red doing it, but those pixels don't mean shit compared to feeling better here in the real world. So I'm a boring mother fucker compared to most of you. I never set out to be superfashion dude, just to do it all a little better. I'm not a handsome dude and I have no place posting pics of myself next to models.

That's a back handed thank-you to SuperFuture. I will NOT bother you again.

Xeno,

shut the fuck up.

Signed,

dismalfuture

I don't know why people even bother saying this, why would I? What reason do you give me to do so? Be more mature about it and maybe we can work something out, I can't fix what I'm not aware of.

As for Cotton Duck's point, the fact that I am one of the potential victims doesn't nullify my point, as we're not talking about the people, merely the fits. My bias towards the thread is opposite yet somewhat equivalent in potency to the rest of you, so if I'm not entitled to this opinion, neither should you be.

The tolerance argument AstroWolf mentioned is a fair point, but like a murderous gang isn't allowed to roam the streets, likewise a thread dedicated to berating people shouldn't be allowed to be public. Be it your society or not, it is causing foul, foul which goes against the superfuture regulations displayed prominently to your right.

Sayword, I agree with most of what you've said, it's certainly a utopia worth fighting for, but I don't think the shit talking thread is part of the answer. To me, it is simple minded and gives a bad name to the great reputation of superfuture. On a slightly abstract level, all this hate could potentially become a part of the people that frequent the thread, causing other parts of the forum to degenerate. It isn't easy to mentally contain thoughts, emotions and opinions of sorts within a single 'discussion', this is evident by the 'worst waywt' thread, some may see this thread as a release, but I think there are better ways. Speaking of shit talking, I don't appreciate your assumption that I don't know what I am talking about, I may be new here but take that as an attribute to my opinion, not a reason to void it. Most of what I'm saying is philosophical anyway (for lack of a better word), it doesn't involve knowledge of a topic, so there's nothing really to 'know'.