Real Japan Blues - Jeans & Shirts...

kiya

• 3 weeks later...
i wear a size 30 IH 301s. If i wanted a more relaxed fit, would a size 31 106bsp fit me or should i stick with size 30

I'd stick with a 30 and do a hot or cold soak depending on how much you want them to shrink.

• 2 weeks later...

have been giving my 106 NO love for quite a while. it's time to get them back out and hit it.

hard to believe they went from this

IMG_0868.jpg

to this

IMG_0954.jpg

i have no idea what the history is right now. i think there were the initial soaks and then maybe 3-4 months of wear and i switched to something else.

i think....

either way, i'mma start wearing these mugs again.

• 2 weeks later...

check pages 23-28 for the initial reports on the fit/soaking. the pre-soak numbers matched the website but i did a couple of hot soaks to get all the shrinkage out. pg 28 has all the full report about what i did. there are a few follow-up posts to show fit after each soak.

keep in mind these are unsanforized so they shrank down to what they're supposed to fit like rather than the fit being different.

i'll get recent measurements tonight or tomorrow

picked these up a few weeks ago at SESF. little under two weeks of wear now.

the fit is pretty much spot on, but I wish the waist didn't stretch out as much as it had. might do a hot soak/delicate wash in a few weeks and see if that makes a lasting difference. regardless, the denim is ridiculously hairy, coming from a pair of imperial dukes, and has worn quickly out of its initial rigidity into a soft, comfortable pair of jeans.

only have some pics off my iphone (sorry!)

photo2bzf.jpg

photo2xpw.jpg

EDIT: grundle, has your RJB's inseam shrunk anymore after subsequent washes/soaks after your intial soak(s)?

yeah, the waist stretches out pretty quickly. i did the hot delicate cycle to get shrinkage out and it still stretched out quite a bit, but nothing too extreme.

after the soaks, the inseam was IIRC 35, then i had it hemmed to 33.5 and did a final soak and it's 33 now. i'll measure it again after i wash them.

the one complaint i do have is the busted stitching all over the place, especially where the crotch is already pulling apart and looks like i have a bunch of yellow pubes sticking out.

EDIT: grundle, has your RJB's inseam shrunk anymore after subsequent washes/soaks after your intial soak(s)?

I know this wasn't directed towards me, but I do have some experience with the question.

I did an initial soak on my 106 BSPs and have cold washed twice since then. After the first wash in August, I noticed very little (if any) shrinkage in the inseam. However, when I washed them again about three weeks ago, I noticed I lost approximately an inch from the inseam. Although I haven't done any "formal" measurements, I am no longer able to double-cuff and maintain the length I desire. This really isn't a big deal, as I am perfectly fine with the single cuff.

I know it's basically the same as the photo I posted three weeks ago, but here is my latest update:

IMG_3433.jpg

RJB X SE at one month..worn everyday since 12/5/10.. bought and chain stitched at selfedge LA.. great slim fit after initial hot soak.. I hung em up to dry and threw em on damp.. they were a bit snug initially but back pockets and knees are showing really good wear after a month of moving, motorcycling and traveling...

IMG00324-20110106-2315.jpg

IMG00325-20110106-2316.jpg

I can't shake the 106BSP cut.. i want another pair so bad, it was perfect for me and what i wear on a daily basis.

Your fit, as well as several others, pretty much secured the SGs as my next purchase. I cannot wait to see further evo on them.

Technically, neither of those sentences belong in this thread!

I can't shake the 106BSP cut.. i want another pair so bad, it was perfect for me and what i wear on a daily basis.

Anyone have Front and Back Rise measurements for the 105's? I'm tempted to get them as my 2011 denim.

I'm horrible at sizing, so could use some help. My waist is a little more than 35, so debating between 34's or 36's.

My WH660's stretched to a 36, but my LVC 55's (much baggier jean), only stretched to 35. Both of them were tagged 32. I'm assuming the difference has to do with where I wear my jeans (fairly low) relative to the different rises of those jeans? Again, I'm horrible at sizing.

^ Yes, the 660's are a lower rise jean so they'll sit closer to your hips, while your 501's have a higher rise, sitting closer to your waist.

I can't comment on the shrinkage of the RJB denim, but I'd imagine that you could wear a 34 if you cold soaked or used some ingenuity to keep the waist from shrinking too much while hot soaking. If you need more room in the thighs, consider a 36. Otherwise a 34 should provide a great fit.

The front rise measurements can be found a Self Edge:

http://www.selfedge.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=76&products_id=394

Peter, thanks for the response....though now I'm concerned about the thigh.

I went back and re-read the whole thread, and noticed Lando has a pair of 105's tagged 36" waist. Couple questions for ya, if you'd be so kind...;)

Your jeans went from 38" pre-soak to 36" post soak, correect? Have they stretched out any? Also, you said the thigh measured 11.5 post soak? SE's measurements say 13pre, with ~.8 shrinkage.

Edit: Another question. Why exactly does this denim shrink more than others? Or does it?

• 2 weeks later...

this thread needs some more life to it. people need to start posting RJB shirts. just got another from Hide and hands down these shirts have the most amazing fabric and perfect cut of any i have owned. of the 50 or so shirts i bought in 2010 i would gladly trade for 10-15 RJB shirts.. which is what i will do this year i guess.

just wish they were easier to find in the states..

50f8429c.jpg?t=1295663691

i'll take a few macro's of the fabric when i find the camera but it has to be seen to be believed though.