supercollegelife: funny facts, rant, photos, help, stuff...

freecat

i think it'll rather be: study less party more (if possible)

it doesn't even remotely interest me and while it's a golden gate to the best masters in europe (in the same city, how convenient), i don't wanna do this. I want to study photography but need a few months before they open either registration or entrance exam registration.

i would love to go study in london but i'm completly lost on everything and how to do it. the good photography schools in france are hard to enter because everyone wanna be in there.

are you still at Irvine in Engineering ?

fuck my uni they are apparently trying to get a new rule for students in economy which is that you can't fail more than 3 semester before graduation otherwise you need to change course.

i've already failed 2, and will surely fail another one until i graduate in a while.

that's like standard procedure now in all bachelor programs. oh and it's even more strict in switzerland, if you fail only twice you're out

well the actual reason why they do this is that the number of studen in first year has grown exponentially since everyone's failing (over 75% failure rate last year), and the number of student in second year is also quite high though the failure rate must be under 50%.

basically, very few arrive in master without having failed at least one semester. and the semester don't compensate.

anyway this shit is too crazy for me. my university is now in the top 3 or something for economy in europe, and the research center in economy is also top 5 or something in the world. like i cared.

the solution would be to transfer from main course to alternative one in the same uni but i'm not serious enough to be accepted i guess or leave the uni but stay in the same city, or transfer in another university but fuck moving away again, so i'll stay there and so whatever works until i find my way.

i just find funny all of those, most of them my friends, who are in complete denial and unfortunately think they're going somewhere. i'm just a bit sad to leave that soon...

are you still at Irvine in Engineering ?

yeah but because I have a premed focus in the biomedical engineering major or w/e it doesn't really count as engineering, doesn't really count as bio.. i think i fcked up and made life hard for myself. must see counselorzz

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

i've got the finals for my 4th semester in a few days but since i didn't even did the 3rd because i was busy redoing the 1st (does that make any sens), i'm not even really revising, i'll be in second year next september and do my best to graduate soon so i can move on to something else...

but well, i haven't got any opportunity and university can be fun. oh and so much hot girls at the library...

• 2 years later...

It's been two years since I started community college and I'm still only halfway done. I fucked up a couple of semesters so if I get A's from here on out I'll still only be at a 3.4 or 3.5 once academic renewal pulls through. I've changed my major a handful of times and now I'm pretty much set on trying to get into somewhere like Haas or Stern, even though I know I won't be able to get into either with my GPA. I'm not even entirely sure I want to work in finance. I'm just tired of being in college and I want to get my shit together instead of being so indecisive.

Reading everyone else's responses to this thread makes me feel hella unintelligent.

Trying to stay positive but damn, I shouldn't have slacked off so hard.

This post should prolly go in superconfessional

I should probably just man the fuck up and study harder tho

It's been two years since I started community college and I'm still only halfway done. I fucked up a couple of semesters so if I get A's from here on out I'll still only be at a 3.4 or 3.5 once academic renewal pulls through. I've changed my major a handful of times and now I'm pretty much set on trying to get into somewhere like Haas or Stern, even though I know I won't be able to get into either with my GPA. I'm not even entirely sure I want to work in finance. I'm just tired of being in college and I want to get my shit together instead of being so indecisive.

Reading everyone else's responses to this thread makes me feel hella unintelligent.

Trying to stay positive but damn, I shouldn't have slacked off so hard.

This post should prolly go in superconfessional

I should probably just man the fuck up and study harder tho

there's no way you'll get into stern

not trying to be a dick, but...

^^^

you're a junior, right? don't let that shit happen yet...you still have a year left if so. not sure what the solution would be, but try not to focus too much on getting out just yet.

Now that I'm almost done I care so little about my classes. Waiting to hear back from grad schools is really all I care about at this point

same but i didn't apply/dont yet want to go to grad school. all these people i know are talking about the gre/lsat. i feel like they only think they know what they want to do, but don't. grad school is tempting, but i really want a break from school for a while, and i also have no idea what i'd go for. definitely not law.

yeah but because I have a premed focus in the biomedical engineering major or w/e it doesn't really count as engineering, doesn't really count as bio.. i think i fcked up and made life hard for myself. must see counselorzz

hella old but this is what i started with

hit upper div and got the fuck out of BME

^^^

look, don't do something you don't want to do for a long time.

**long post - if you don't think you'll be interested, stop now**

i've said a lot of the following before, but i'll say it again anyway. i wavered in choosing my major for a few years (didn't declare until almost halfway through junior year - was technically sophomore though i think). i had the grades to get into any department i wanted, but took a while to pick one. i kind of insisted with this idea that whatever i did needed to significantly help me find a job and/or be a good path for grad school (which i planned on doing). i wanted to do something i liked, but also kept thinking it needed to get me a pretty good salary.

i eventually realized my vainness. i stopped focusing so much on the ends of my degree, and instead on what real value i could gain from the college experience. i had taken a rhetoric/writing class freshman year and thought it was great. i then took another course and realized how much i liked it, so i decided to major in it. i had also always liked taking french and planned on minoring in it in any case, but had felt like it was a worthless major. looking back, it would have been fine for me to just do that as my major. but fortunately i'm (barely) graduating with a double major in both subjects.

it seems like you're already kind of aware of what i'm trying to say, but i just want to reiterate it all. you live in the united states - you're not going to starve (unless you end up in some fucked up hiking situation or something i dunno). don't let societal/familial pressures make you feel like you have to do something you otherwise have no inclination toward. my mom pushed me toward engineering cause i got like a 780 on the math part of the sat. i would have probably made a lot of money, but would have been miserable. i'm glad i never let her persuade me. i started out in business just because i didn't know what to do and thought it would be good to at least try. i took one course, did well, but hated it. funny all my friends in liberal arts were jealous i got into business school but i couldn't have cared less.

i still joke that my degree will be kind of worthless, but i know it will hold more intrinsic value for me than the degrees many other people will receive. not saying my life is or will be perfect. it will probably take a while for me to find a decent job/salary, but at least i didn't commit myself to something i would end up hating. and even that said, you never really can 'commit' to a path in life. it's pretty much never too late to change direction...it's just hard to give up something that you've put a lot of investment in.

also, i suggest looking for an internship/job that you will get something personal out of as well. i intern for a pro-choice non-profit. i don't get paid, but it's the best work i've done and i invest my time toward something i believe in (admittedly, i'm not intensely pro-choice but abortion rights have been something i strongly support). i would have loved to get some monetary compensation, but the experience is worth much more to me. i actually get to do stuff that i like (public affairs - writing, etc.) and learn things that are important to me.

i've been privileged in having parents that paid for my college expenses, so i know others will be in different situations. i still think that it's worth considering what i say. the career you choose will be something that will probably take up 1/3 of your weekdays (and another 1/3 should be spent sleeping). and i know that your case, mikey, is pretty much the same as mine anyway. if university education isn't free (as it should be) if/when i have kids approaching that age, i will do my utmost to pay for it myself so they don't have to include debt bullshit in their important life choices.

Edited by wurm

I applied because I want to keep the ball rolling so to speak, I feel like if I leave school it will be too hard to come back. plus I actually do want to get a masters, my undergrad is in the pure sciences and I applied for engineering programs in materials science mostly. what I don't want to do is more bs academic lab work and memorize crap so I can stay afloat amongst the sea of silent studying asians in my major.

btw xy, how's med school treating you

Anyone here in law school? It's way down the road for me but I'm just curious what it's like.

not currently myself but possibly one day. the present and past law students i've talked to about the school experience is get ready to read and read and read and write and research, standard shit. and study latin

Edited by scientifick