DIY/professional washing and hand aging your jeans

Charlie Delta

• 1 year later...

Hey you guys wanted me to show the wash process.... so here we go!!!!

Step 1. Raw or rigid jean. 1947 Levis LVC 501 i thought that was fitting for the LVC thread.

1251240513.jpg

1251241298.jpg

1251241041.jpg

Step 2. Resin. On a raw garment resin serves a few purposes. It stiffens the fabric to help create 3D whiskers. It helps retain the overall shade, while simultaniously making the wear process a little quicker. A raw jean that has been resined will wear faster than the same jean without. Resin also helps to keep them from shrinking. These jeans in perticular has no sanforization, which as you know means theyll shrink in any liquid....

1251262595.jpg

1251261513.jpg

Step 3. Whiskers. Here we place the jeans on a machine where we can replicate whiskers by hand. I cannot show the machine, but we make the whiskers and the machine helps to cure the resin. This can also be done with water and without resin, so that we can later bleach down the garment if neccessary. Bleach and resin dont work together too well.

1251245119.jpg

1251242612.jpg

1251243675.jpg

Step 4. Sanding. We then sand the whiskers. In this perticular process were making something presonal, so we want it to look nice. We will be hand sanding a few times over to really bring out the contrast of the denim.

First Hand Sand

1251259211.jpg

1251261696.jpg

1251261355.jpg

1251261306.jpg

Step 5. Ozone. This is something we would usually save until the end, but in cases where we would like a ton of contrast we repeat steps 4 and 5 a couple of times before moving on. After sanding we put the pants into an ozone generator. Ozone is used as a cleaner and a way to brighten up the garment, it has been compared to a dry bleach.

Second Hand Sand

1251257613.jpg

1251259125.jpg

1251259312.jpg

1251258671.jpg

1251258920.jpg

1251258965.jpg

@washboy 87

Very interesting post... one of best I have seen in a long time... (against all this sizing shit with absurd questions should i size done 1 or 2 or should size up 4 or 5...) maybe not in proper thread but pls keep us informed... if someone isn't interested in how does an aging process work, easy ignore these posts... Go on washboy87!

Here's the 3 hand sanding...

1251302231.jpg

1251302204.jpg

1251301501.jpg

1251302966.jpg

1251303299.jpg

Step 6. Spray or brush pottasium. Pottasium helps make the whiskers white instead of that sanded blue and also helps to brighten things up. Got a little carried away here and neutrilized the pottasium without taking pictures but will show you after...

These 47 look nearly identical to my two year old ones. And of course they are fake, but the job he did is perfect. Look at all those LVC limited editions - they are fake too but hard to get because many people buy them. I have so many jeans that I cannot give them all the wear they need to look like this 47. Therefore I bought a 33 "Road Rush" Ltd. Editon. I like the look, but the quality is poor. i lost two rivets and the quality of the denim is very different. In washboys case he uses the good quality and makes them look very good. I think there are enough people that will by such a nice denim. I would give him pos. rep but I am not able to. Cannot understand this.

I'm curious about the environmental effects of this process. I know on an industrial scale, the washing process produces a lot of negative by-products and puts the workers in danger as many workers in less developed nations do not have the proper protection.

Can you provide us some insight on the chemicals/machines/processes you use? And honestly, outside of sufu, people eat this type of shit up, so to answer whoever asked, the typical consumer would probably buy this.

Everyone here is such a denim snob, when most of you have absolutley no idea about anything. Most of you have your head so far up your asses, youl never be able to see the "natural" wear you guys are so proud of!!!! I guarentee you'll never see a wash replicated like the one I am posting, so hold on tight and shut you mouth

You make little/no sense. At least get a decent camera to post your pics - they look terrible.

I think its good hes giving us insight into the process, I find it interesting. Yeah I don't think anybody should wear these and that he should just wear them down himself but so what. You guys need to chill out, theres no reason to neg rep the hell out of him.

Everyone here is such a denim snob, when most of you have absolutley no idea about anything. Most of you have your head so far up your asses, youl never be able to see the "natural" wear you guys are so proud of!!!! I guarentee you'll never see a wash replicated like the one I am posting, so hold on tight and shut you mouth

^^This is why he's getting negged bro - for talking shit.

This shit is so lame. There are spots in Japan where they actually do really good artificial wear on raw denim. While I wouldn't do it, the stuff they produce is much better looking than the garbage posted in this thread.

I can't even begin to understand how DenimDave thinks that wearing in raw denim is lazier than paying some hack to sandpaper it.

Negs all around for these tards

i wouldn't pay $200+ for jeans just so i can sand them. i love mine raw, 3 months down the line, 6 months, 8 months, and so on. we're not snobs, we just enjoy denim and the aging process, not quick results.

what did you expect when you were posting this anyway? People to high-five you? You're at best affirming raw denim as a trend just like the others who want quick fades for internet glory.

This thread is at least interesting. While I am never, and I will repeat, Never, going to wear predistressed jeans. I do like the information on the process. It would be interesting to see if we can be faked. Looking at the wash of the 47s in this thread I can see that they will look "good" but they won't look authentic. It will help us to understand why we like to wear our jeans and not buy them predistressed. This is like Kasparov Vs. Big blue, but hopefully this time the computer can't beat us.

Not to mention, I guess it ain't about what they look like, but more the process of wearing the jeans. Some folks could care less and for them, have at it. Buy predistressed stuff, but for us who care, we are just going to wear our jeans anyway.

Unfortunately i am going to have to disagree with some of the big hitters on this board. Have at it washboy, show us what you got.

I am inspired by my naturally worn in jeans that take no less than putting them on in the morning.

now that sounds lazy to me...sounds like you live in bizarro world.

honestly, I'm curious to see what washboy is going to to.

even though I completely disagree with the whole idea of washing/pre-distressing jeans on many levels, I still wanna see how he does it and how authentic it really looks.