DIY/professional washing and hand aging your jeans

Charlie Delta

it is quite clear that no artificicial fading that is supposed to look like natural will ever look completely natural, however, if the artform or denim distressing evolved beyond mimicry and new forms were developed beyond the honeycombs, and wiskers that worn jeans get naturaly, than maybe there would be more appreciation for the artform. I think its the lack of authenticity that bothers us. if the sandpaper and chemicals were used more freely, to create a dynamic image, rather than make jeans look like another pair of old denim. Raoul duke mentioned the flatness of these techniqhues... if more focus was put into creatiing depth than trying to make the typical markings the art of distressing may have some viabiltity amongst appreciated of nenim and its nuances

But due to the negative comments on rips "the wrong place" it would seem that this is exactly what we don't want.

Let's just face it. This forums are filled with purists (me included) where the fabric is simply a part of our clothing and treated there after.

Now i know that there are still a few

"i didn't wash my jeans for 1,5 years to get these amazing contrasts"

people around, but i also have the feeling that their numbers are falling.

In that sense, we won't be impressed by a more free use of sandpaper and chemicals.

Hell, if you want to impress with denim "art" you'd have a better chance with new fabrics (mizra, naked and famous, etc) than with different forms of breaking down our beloved denim.

Then again, i know that you aren't really of tht school.

I personally don't see the diff between him sanding by hand, and you spending an excessive amount of time with your knees in the rubble, just to get fades.

No offense intended. It's just a different taste.

Wabi sabi.

• 2 weeks later...
Hey,

Just wanted to say yes, i did apply ozone. At our laundry we have an ozone generator hooked up to one of the washing machines. ozone basically kills things, which is why it brightens up the pant. The best example would be making a wash with rips. After creating the holes and washing, the fill yarn turns blue, a few minutes in ozone would cure that. Anyway, just wondering, what would make question that?

Fill yarn turns blue due to backstaining. Anti-backstaining agent would help, or laccase enzyme.

The procedure to apply ozone is imo not necessary, that's why I asked.

Also, the jeans I have seen so far that have been treated with ozone (to discharge color and replace enzyme wash) looked horrible.

• 1 year later...
  • 7 months later...