DIY/professional washing and hand aging your jeans

Charlie Delta

I agree with erk and rnrswitch. I have been processing jeans for years to get as close as I can for the commercial benefit. Looking at what Washboy has done has taken him at least 7-8 hours already. Never will an artistic developer make his jeans look like a naturally worn in jean.

To answer the question about chemicals, and protection from such, there are some hazards. But as long as you're in a decently ventilated area, and you dont drink anything, you'll be okay. The resin i mentioned in the begining is a carcinogen, which means it causes cancer, but youd have to take a bath in it for it to harm you. During process all resin is rinsed from the garment, dont worry. One obvious point would be not to drink bleach also, first you go blind, then you die. There are also various other chemicals involved nd almost anything can be used to age the jeans. Motor oil, food, paint(not lead based), ect.

And for the next steps,

Here is the first hand sand, second hand sand with potasium, then grinded before rinse, and with grinding after rinse

1251307904.jpg

1251319562.jpg

1251319601.jpg

1251320063.jpg

1251319750.jpg

1251320365.jpg

1251320422.jpg

Let me know what you think this time, jerks....

Denim Dave, you in LA?

This shit is so lame. There are spots in Japan where they actually do really good artificial wear on raw denim. While I wouldn't do it, the stuff they produce is much better looking than the garbage posted in this thread.

Proof: http://yokedesign.co.jp/gallery.html

If some are wondering why that brand looks familiar, it's because that company was featured in the Japanese television show the owner of BiG was on.

The show Gordon is on is here: http://denimnews.blogspot.com/2008/07/gordon-is-denim-superstar-in-japan.html

If any of you guys think that that bullshit on yoke design, or whatever, looks natural, you need to wake up. Maybe my pictures dont do it justice, but that yoke design shit can suck my whiskers!!!! Anyone here who thinks that this is just another wash has some learning to do. What are you guys going off anyway? Maybe, just maybe, japanese fabric is better, and the sewing is for sure, but i would gladly put any of my washes against your so called true artisans and japanese gods of laundry!!!!

Now youre just pissing me off, honeycombs are for bee's! Back knee whiskers are for jeans. Yes maybe im being trivial with the choice of lingo, but everyone here is so oppinionated, and most have absoultely no credibility, or even any knowledge of denim. Lets compare some truely worn in jeans, not ones you guys wore for 12 days but ones worn for years. "Bath tub soak this, honeycomb that, left hand twill, right hand twill"... Right hand twill my balls!!!!

well, you're not going to be getting any popularity points for mocking the terminology we use here and the attention to details that we have. however, i did find your post pretty interesting and educational.. while not natural, there are certainly worse washes/distressing jobs out there on the market

Washboy, Have you experimented with less abrasive sanding techniques, like instead of using sand paper, which is causing the less than natural looking fraying, use a water soaked rag or a rough sponge maybe.

Like someone said, the whiskers do look good and i don' t think the combs are horrible, but they look less real than the whiskers, but the tears along the fade marks are what makes me know that they were sanded.

Nevertheless, this wash is top quality and, while there are some Japanese dudes that do better, this wash is definitely better than about 98% of washes that I have seen.

Anyways, I liked the posts, and thanks for putting the time into the posts.

but everyone here is so oppinionated, and most have absoultely no credibility, or even any knowledge of denim.

^^That's truly a retarded blanket statement. While some posters are a little ignorant of denim, people like PaulT and pacioli can talk denim circles around you. But this isn't some contest. They share information on this forum so everyone can learn and they aren't arrogant about it.

I don't think people are attacking you personally, just your work. It doesn't look REAL. Take these comments as way to improve your work, not to get all huffy and defensive.

1. Bend over

2. Grab your ankles

3. Check THOSE fades....

What do you think i do, put jeans in a machine, and they come out distressed? As previuosly stated i wear raw almost everyday, 14-15 hours a day, i'll post some real wear later, but dont act like you know, cause you dont!

Mr Switch, youre the only one here with any sense. Its not whether the processing is as cool as you want it to be, but if you were to actually study washes, not dry goods, youd see more of what i do is natural. I have to say Mr Switch you are a good guy for not being a complete ass like the rest of em.....

I know one thing... there's at least 3 users within this thread that are the same person.

Youre right, its not some contest, and i wasnt flexing knowledge on anyone who wasnt tryin to tell me whats right and whats wrong. I may not know everything about denim, but those who can talk cirlcles around me in some areas, will most likely be lapped in a wash discussion. I may not know all, as i am always learning, but i can go to those people and have a decent discussion, with a little credibility. As for everyone else, please show me what is real, or what brands do a nice job recreating washes.

By the way, A friend and I will be doing two more pants, a raw rag and bone, and a raw prps in the near future, just to piss you guys off. But if there are jeans youd like to see as inspiration, please share, and well compare.

Lets compare some truely worn in jeans, not ones you guys wore for 12 days but ones worn for years.

Fist of all, jeans worn for years would probably be a lot lighter in color than yours too..

I was wondering what credibility you have? I could do this in my basement with no denim knowledge, so I could see why people are questioning you.

1. Im not done yet, so hold your horses.

2. Youve just proved your inexperience and ignorance.

Please make a copy in your basement. Youd never be able to. And my credibility comes from working in clothing for a long time, and not at the levis store, or some high end boutique that sells only made in japan. I have worked for a lot of different companies gaining experience. And again, Im not flexing skills or knowledge, but just getting aggrivated with everyones inability to appreciate. which is in turn showing some peoples ignorance.

And whoever said i used sand paper is on the right track, but not quite right. The rips are from a grinding wheel, not oversanding, a common newbie mistake,

thanks for sharing the thread. It's good information.im actually interested in seeing the next pair youre going to work on after all these comments.

although i am on the same boat with some of the veterans here that i will probably never wear pre-distressed jeans again, I think its legit work to try to replicate a natural process. I think its an artistic feat.

lets see what you do next.

Please make a copy in your basement. Youd never be able to.

If I had the time, I would take you up on this challenge. You are making it sound like it's the most difficult thing in the world, while I appreciate the workmanship you are over complicating it to sound knowledgeable

I am in no way making it sound harder than it is, and never said it was hard, but it takes training and some artistic ability. Not being rude at all, but wait until you see your whiskers that you make in your basement. And as stated numerous times, I would never buy a predistressed jean either, in the store, 99% of washes suck, even ones i make for the consumer, in fact its only raw for me. But to me, ahving a custom made jean, that started raw, thats made for me, with wiskers in all the correct places, is something cool. And again I strive for what is natural, re-research you worn jeans, please... And if you want to compare, bring out you warehouse, your sugar canes, whatever you want, ill do better

that and the fact that the whiskering from the pockets makes it look like the person had to have a wedgie 24/7 to get that. the honeycombs or leg-whiskers, if you prefer, contain more drapes and less rigid lines expected from raw denim wear. The color looks somewhat close to 5-6 months wear.

I'm sure it could be easy to replicate if i just put on a pair of raw jeans and rubbed sandpaper when im in a sitting position to get the same shape of whiskering. that or i could just rub up against brick walls. The rips below the pockets don't really make sense unless you carry a ton of shit in your pockets. I'll agree it looks better than many pre-distressed denim put out by other brands, but this is a waste of raw denim.

I know about artistic integrity and shit, but this is ridiculous. If we don't like your "art", accept it; don't go around calling us dumbasses and uneducated. They way you assume that we don't know shit about denim just shows how ignorant you are about this forum and its users.

Seriously, go check the evo thread. There are plenty of jeans in that thread that absolutely shit on your precious pair. Look, it's cool that you do predistressing, but your work isn't all that much better than say, Nudie Labs. A pair distressed by wearing for extended time will generally look better, as I proved earlier by directing you to the evo thread.

Also- learn some fucking grammar. Your posts are a pain to decode.

Wow.

Most action I've seen on superdenim in a while.

Truth. I've been missing these loud threads lately.

Thanks for the posts Washboy. I think the process is informative.

I really agree with rnrswitch's post earlier. Whereas I would not buy predistressed denim anymore, I am interested in learning more by seeing the process.

I only wish everyone in the argument was more open minded and took this thread less personally.