supermeatheads

kunk75

Word. I've been using mixed grip, if that's what you mean by reverse?

Any tips on how to strengthen forearms?

Yes that is what I mean by reverse.

Besides what I have mentioned, you can do wrist rolls and some plate pinches. My personal favorite are farmers walks at the end of shoulder days. just grab the heaviest dumbells you can find at the end of a workout and walk the perimeter of your gym as long as you can.

If you are really serious about getting some monster grip take 2 workout days at each end of your split (first and last) and at the end of the workout do a few set of wrist rolls and a few sets of plate pinches. This along with NOT using straps will get your grip up pretty fast. Do the farmers walks a few times a month on shoulder days and you will be looking like popeye fo sho.

Hey Chairy, do you pull 405 with chalk/gloves/straps? When I get to 280, I'm already feeling the bar slip out of my hands...

straps! use it! and a belt. in most cases, it's pretty pointless not to use them. what's the point of doing an exercise if you're not able use your muscles to your full extent?

Word. I've been using mixed grip, if that's what you mean by reverse?

Any tips on how to strengthen forearms?

I love the mixed grip. hands pointing in opposite directions to exert torques in two opposite directions on the bar for minimal slippage just makes sense to me. that being said, I do believe grip is entirely up to the user though. there are guys that pull huge weight with a traditional overhead grip too.

what's the point of doing an exercise if you're not able use your muscles to your full extent?

With all due respect I completely disagree along with a LOT of old school power lifter that do the same...

If your not able to do an exercise to its full extent without straps its ONLY because you are not strong enough to do the exercise without them. Why would you purposely neglect a muscle from getting stronger? I mean think about that. Its ridiculous.

Its like if they made some sort of Delt brace when you are benching because your delts are the secondary muscle used while benching. Why would you use something to take away from the benefit of a lift hitting the secondary muscle?

Not to mention, Have you ever been to a power lifting contest/meet that has allowed straps? Probably not. So if the big boys can lift a lot more then all of us with no straps, why should you train with them?

did some extensive reading yesterday

im starting a variation of WD today, im sick so couldn't hit the gym but I will report back this week

im just hoping my energy levels stay up

With all due respect I completely disagree along with a LOT of old school power lifter that do the same...

If your not able to do an exercise to its full extent without straps its ONLY because you are not strong enough to do the exercise without them. Why would you purposely neglect a muscle from getting stronger? I mean think about that. Its ridiculous.

Its like if they made some sort of Delt brace when you are benching because your delts are the secondary muscle used while benching. Why would you use something to take away from the benefit of a lift hitting the secondary muscle?

Not to mention, Have you ever been to a power lifting contest/meet that has allowed straps? Probably not. So if the big boys can lift a lot more then all of us with no straps, why should you train with them?

to quote IA,

"I am always amused, yet in a state of disbelief when I see people, especially good strength coaches tell people to not worry if their grip fails when pulling, just keep doing it. You then fail to work your entire body so you can work your grip a bit harder.

I am always amused, yet in a state of disbelief when I see people, especially good strength coaches tell people to not worry if their grip fails when pulling, just keep doing it. You then fail to work your entire body so you can work your grip a bit harder. First try chalk. If that doesn't work, or your gym doesn't allow it:

Use straps for any weight you can't hold. After your sets, take the same weight that you could NOT hold long enough, and just do some static holds with it. Hold it as long as you can for 3-4 sets. ALL A DEADLIFT DOES FOR YOUR GRIP IS STATICALLY CONTRACT YOUR GRIPPING MUSCLES (HAND/FOREARMS). You can do that just by holding a bar. Missing a deadlift because you can't keep your grip is foolish considering that you can replicate EXACTLY what a deadlift does for your grip doing static holds. But do NOT put the straps on until you absolutely have to.

If you are a competitive powerlifter, you have to be able to hold whatever you can pull, but you can truly get in all the grip work you need AFTER you have pulled in straps."

http://www.ironaddicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25187&highlight=straps

yes, it is ridiculous. why would you purposely neglect almost all the muscles in your body used in deadlifts so that your grips can get stronger.. even though you can achieve the same thing by holding onto a bar loaded with plates afterwards.

Not to mention, Have you ever been to a power lifting contest/meet that has allowed straps?

Every USAPowerlifting meet allows straps. Specifically, the ones that are wrapped around your body only, not the bar.I Use wrist wraps for heavy stuff where it goes around the wrist twice.

Those wraps that are loops around the bar are crap, though. Not crap quality, but that's what is a real detriment to gain in strength.

Do you only enter Raw competitions?

I don't think wrist wraps are a giant game changer for DL except that they help w/ fatigue. You could probably pull 400+ w/o straps in the first few sets, but sometimes you just get tired. At least that's how it is for me.

Now leg wraps and bench shirts are different. I've used both, and they definitely add lbs that aren't attributed to your own muscles. At the same time, they're still good for two reasons:

1) The more you train full range of motion w/ higher (even assisted) weight, the more you'll be able to do raw. It's not like someone benches 400 w/ a shirt and only does 250 raw. He probably is putting up 340+

2) Leg wraps/Bench Shirts/Suits help w/ confidence. I feel like it's more of a "I've done this before" feeling and knowing your potential than the feeling of only thinking "I can only do it w/ gear"

Back to DL, the last thing I have to say is that even though it's an exercise that works pretty much your entire body, it's basically just for hips/back/legs. If your legs can take more, but your wrists are weak that the time, I feel like you're cheating yourself.

So yeah, obv no hate to MikeS, I just think a lot of gear is around not as a shortcut but as assistance to better results

Hey guys, chiming in on vitamins.

I've been taking Costco's Kirkland High Performance Vitamins for as long as I can remember. I can walk in and get 400 tablets of that, 2x100 multivitamin packs for harder workout days, 400 fish oil and 600 D3 gels for under $70. It easily lasts me 5-6 months depending on how much I feel I need to take.

I know having them is better than not having them at all, but is there anything/any brand that I'm missing out on that I can benefit from and still cover all the bases that can do it better on a budget?

Hey guys, chiming in on vitamins.

I've been taking Costco's Kirkland High Performance Vitamins for as long as I can remember. I can walk in and get 400 tablets of that, 2x100 multivitamin packs for harder workout days, 400 fish oil and 600 D3 gels for under $70. It easily lasts me 5-6 months depending on how much I feel I need to take.

I know having them is better than not having them at all, but is there anything/any brand that I'm missing out on that I can benefit from and still cover all the bases that can do it better on a budget?

I think my favorite vitamin shop is vitacost.com

everything there is so inexpensive. It's crazy

I take animal pak. Definitely not cheap and I can't really vouch for it but bought it in bulk and the cost factor doesn't bother me. Couldn't notice a change besides urine got a lot more yellow after taking it.

Also I did the warrior + keto diet during exam season and the energy, convenience, concentration for my studies was great. Ate absolutely nothing during the day besides multivitamin and an oxyelite pill then come night time had like 9 whole eggs, double quarter pounder with no bun and a protein shake. No hunger or cravings for anything at all. I'd say oxyelite has noticeable effects and animal pak not much so, it's more for peace of mind for me that I'm getting the vitamins I need (as well as what I don't need probably).

edit: when I said oxyelite had noticeable effects, it's not like 3kg of fat dropped off in a week but after taking it I get an energy rush and feel focused. My dosage was two pills at once in the morning though.

No problem w/ that.

What #s do you put up? Powerlifting or Oly

Last time I checked PR I did it at a 5 RM as 1RM really dosnt do anything for me. 5RM too me is so much more functional. Anywho. My 5RM as of about 8 months ago were:

DL 495lb

Squat 435lb

Hack Squat 810lb (plus whatever the sled weighs)

Military press 315lb

Bench Yea, I dont talk about my bench. by FAR the weakest body part that im soo very ashamed of....

Those are the big lifts I personally work on the most. Those are all done raw with no straps or belt.

I never got into oly lifts much. Although I should because it would probably do wonders for MMA It just never excited me...

Im sure these numbers are going to go down quiet a bit because Im in the midst of cutting a bunch for my wedding this coming May. Im currently 240lbs @ 18% BF but Im going to get down to that 10% for the big wedding day. Im not happy about it but I guess I owe it to the misses to look my best on the big day. Then its back up the mid 2`s as soon as possible....

ah, crap. I hope that gets sorted out quickly.

I know it's not on the same level, but I hate it when my supplements are late when I'm out of them.

and currently, I'm waiting on a pair of lifting straps and wrist wraps from APT. the ones I have right now are going to snap off any second. :(

i usually take in about 1500 cal daily. usually high protein low carb. I dont eat any kind of meat.

break

low-carb protein shake for break

2 hard boiled eggs

lunch

salad

banana

coffee

snack

dried fruit

dinner

depends... alotta seafood

raw tuna.. grilled shrimp etc..

salad

tofu

kimchi

Workout 5 days a week. 2 hour sessions

1hour lifting

1/2 abs

1/2 High Incline Threadmill.

non training days Sat/sun

Sat rest

sundays (pigout)

Fish Tacos/pizza/ramyun

^You take any supplements?

holy fuck, lol. no wonder you're not losing anymore fat.

with 1500 calories, your metabolism is probably shut down right now. your body does not want to burn off any fat.

in addition, if you're going to implement low carb into your diet, then you're going to need a lot of fats to make up for the calorie deficit. for low carb diets, I suggest AT LEAST 30% (I prefer 35-40% on low carb) of your daily caloric intake consists of fats.

now back to your 1500 calorie diet and shut down metabolism. you need to basically jumpstart your metabolism to gain back your ability to burn off fat better. jumpstart was probably a poor word choice because our bodies do not work like that unfortunately. you'll have to basically eat a moderately balanced macro diet (40/40/30 or something close) with a caloric SURPLUS of around 300 for about a month at least to get your metabolism back where your body wants to start shredding off fat. you'll know once your afternoon temps are >97.6

once you get your metabolism back where it needs to be, you'll want to be at around a 200-400 caloric deficit to keep your body burning fat at a steady pace. and if it isn't coming off quick enough for you, throw in more low-intensity, low-impact cardio. do NOT decrease calories more.

all in all, you basically need to take one step back to take take steps forward.

i usually take in about 1500 cal daily. usually high protein low carb. I dont eat any kind of meat.

break

low-carb protein shake for break

2 hard boiled eggs

lunch

salad

banana

coffee

snack

dried fruit

dinner

depends... alotta seafood

raw tuna.. grilled shrimp etc..