Uniqlo S/S 08

onemancult

• Replies 793
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Went yesterday

Had a lot of sizes of tops as in shirts .. gigham shits .. longsleeve ofxfords ,, short sleeve light flannels perfect for summer, umm crew neck and zip sweaters were on sale for $20... they had a good amount of stuff on the sale rack.. Uniqlo Vintage Chinos only in big sizes such as 38 X 32 and such .. Full Restock from XS in vnecks and crewneck packaged shirts in most colors

Went yesterday

Had a lot of sizes of tops as in shirts .. gigham shits .. longsleeve ofxfords ,, short sleeve light flannels perfect for summer, umm crew neck and zip sweaters were on sale for $20... they had a good amount of stuff on the sale rack.. Uniqlo Vintage Chinos only in big sizes such as 38 X 32 and such .. Full Restock from XS in vnecks and crewneck packaged shirts in most colors

Dammit, why do I live so far away from Uniqlo!

well ny times said that as well....:P

Penny Pinching Looks Great

EARLIER this month, people promenading along the super-fashionable Bleecker Street in Greenwich Village were surprised to come upon a decidedly low-rent window display announcing an army-navy surplus store within. Wasn’t that a Marc Jacobs store just last week? Could Bleecker be going downscale as fast as it had gone up?

Skip to next paragraph 29code_190.jpg Dean Isidro for The New York Times

Cotton blazer, $199, and striped cotton knit tie, $75, both at Club Monaco; cotton dress shirt, $39.90 at H & M; unisex cotton jeans, $68 at American Apparel; cotton canvas hat from eBay. More Photos »

Multimedia

0529-CODES-B.JPGSlide Show Penny Pinching Looks Great

As it turned out, the window was the dryly funny brainchild of Robert Duffy, the president of Marc Jacobs. Mr. Duffy had found a trove of vintage military coats in Copenhagen and decided to sell them in the store — for a mere $59 each. And if that sounds like a unlikely fashion statement from the man who in the 1990s had men coughing up $600 for thermal long johns in cashmere, well, talk to Mr. Duffy.

“No one wants to pay $500 for a pair of flip-flops,” Mr. Duffy said, sounding more like a consumer advocate than a luxury-brand kingpin. “Sometimes I’ll walk past a store and see that, or see rubber boots for $500, and it disgusts me. I know what it costs to make them.”

With fast-fashion stores as diverse as American Apparel, H & M, Uniqlo and Club Monaco having become fun fashion brands, Mr. Duffy has been adding less-expensive merchandise to the Marc by Marc Jacobs stores, which are turning into 20-something fashion scenes, with whimsical inexpensive accessories, T-shirts, swimsuits and shoes.

“I’ve always said I want this brand to be recession-proof,” he said.

With no relief in sight at the gas pump, there is plenty of bad news in fashion these days. In this month’s results from a continuing consumer attitude study by the NPD Group, a market research firm, 51 percent of consumers said they plan to spend less on apparel, up from an already bleak 45 percent in April. A May survey by the Yankelovich polling group found that the percentage of American consumers reporting “severe anxiety” about their personal finances more than doubled, to 30 percent from 14 percent.

But the good news is that fast fashion, as its name suggests, has excellent timing. The men’s style landscape, which has been transformed over the last few years by a generation of youthful dandies and the designers they love, has reached a price point that is, even for the overdrawn 2008 wallet, affordable. And men are responding.

“I definitely feel like I’ve traded down in the last year or so,” said Robert Pini, 47, a film industry executive in New York, who has discovered, among other things, the $99 cashmere sweaters at the Uniqlo store in SoHo.

“A lot of these clothes are great now,” Mr. Pini said. “You wear them into the office and people ask you where you got it, and they’re expecting you to say Prada. I used to be more into the whole label thing, but I don’t think guys are into it as much now.”

The easy availability of fashion-forward clothes is part of the reason brands like Diesel, American Apparel and Abercrombie & Fitch have actually posted sales gains this year. At Diesel, the fast-fashion trailblazer that sparked the vogue in premium denim more than a decade ago, first-quarter sales were up more than 20 percent over the same period in 2007, according to Steven Birkhold, the chief executive of Diesel USA. First-quarter sales at American Apparel soared 51.9 percent.

“There’s no question that priorities have shifted dramatically,” said Marshal Cohen, the chief analyst for the NPD Group. But, he noted, that does not mean men have given up on clothes, just that they are looking for, and finding, cheaper options. “The least vulnerable brands now are the ones at the lower end of the luxury market and the upper end of the midtier market,” he said. “There’s a lot more affordable luxury out there now.”

Looking for a cool-graphic, superthin cotton T-shirt that not everyone has? Try the Vans Web site, where they are $20. Looking for a cheap pair of jeans? Try the bright-colored Levi’s 511s or American Apparel’s new jeans line.

Or just go right to J. Crew, where there are trendy items like skinny ties, wool vests, Japanese selvedge denim and prewashed oxford-cloth button-downs almost as neatly tailored as the ones that Band of Outsiders makes. If you want the neckwear of the moment — a gauzy summer scarf that suggests you are an artsy, entitled (if not actually titled) European — and you don’t want to go to Dolce & Gabbana for the top-drawer version, head over to H & M or Urban Outfitters and pick up a good facsimile for a fraction of the price.

“This kind of stuff wasn’t available 10 years ago,” said John Cafarelli, 28, a private equity investor in the retail and consumer sector, and like many young men today, an unrepentant clotheshorse. “The market is a lot more democratic now.”

His own strategy is simple: he buys basic, sharply cut shirts from J. Crew and Urban Outfitters and tricks them out with personality-rich accessories from Paul Smith and Hermès.

Coincidentally, the May issue of GQ uses a similar formula in a feature on how to buy and wear a $500 suit.

“You have to do it with something that’s a little higher end, like a good pair of shoes, or putting an extra $50 into tailoring it right,” said Jim Moore, GQ’s creative director. “What I love about places like H & M and Uniqlo is that the quality has gotten better and better. And whereas I think some of these inexpensive lines used to look like knockoffs of designer brands, a lot of them now have their own look, and have even become kind of status-y on their own.”

If there is one thing fashion loves, it’s a reversal — of fortune, a trend, a hemline. Next thing you know, Prada will be knocking off H & M.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/05/29/fashion/29CODES.html

got there about 10:15, about 30 people waited online, mostly girls for the Alexander Wang stuff... doors didnt open till about 10:30 or so..

Lodenn Dager navy blazers are no where to be found, gray and off white only, buttons on cuffs actually functional... 79.50

the pants are same price as the shorts... 39.50

the polos kinda weird, its looks like pique weave but the texture is kinda like terry cloth or some shit like that?

there was an overstuffed rack for each item... should be enough...

as for the fit... not sure about the EMO part, but MOD, TRENDY, HIPSTER, SLIM holds true...

come to think of it... Loden Dager was there i think... handlebar type moustache... kinda creepy looking

Do the pants fit well? I was thinking of mail ordering for a blazer and i'd grab a pair of pants if they fit well. Do they come in any color besides off white?

off the top of my head...

Blazer - off white, gray

Pants - off white, gray

Shorts - off white, gray, orange/white stripe

polo - off white, grey, navy, blue

short sleeve button downs - yellow/blue stripe and reddish/blue stripe?

sizes S to L, dont believe i saw any XS or any XLs

the short sleeves are plaids, one is a blue / yellow and the other is a purple-red / green. they're pretty great, nice details like a button sleeve and fit well. blazers and polos are straight trash, shorts and pants decent. the only thing that looked remotely close to running lean on stock is the blue / yellow button down in small. there was a pretty steady stream of dudes trying stuff on in the evening but unless you're small you have a few days. sizes are the same as tim hamilton, meaning no xs (jp s) and the sz s pants are 30"

Hmmm. Blazers really that bad? I wouldn't mind a cheap blazer but if they fit like shit, there really isn't a point.

if anyone has the blazer plz post fit pics. might want to cop, but like chronoaug said, if it fits like shit there isn't a point even if it is cheap. also, a quick question: is hong kong sizing the same as japanese? aka, if i want an american sm, would i want a hk med? thanks. (i'm assuming american sm is about a 36-38" chest/30-31" waist, plz correct me if i'm wrong)

Stopped by today. No new stock, but everything mentioned so far was there in a FSR. Blazer and polos were big dissapointments. Picked up two of the plaid button downs, and was considering some of the shorts, but something about them just didn't sit right with me.

I picked up the grey blazer with matching pants and shorts. I don't think anything is wrong with it. It's a really light weight cotton, unstructured (has shoulder pads though) summer blazer. Not too much a fan of the button choice, but working surgeon cuffs, nice plaid piping and half lining and slim boy cut fit for $80 is a winner in my book any day.

Can anyone tell me how the t000 fit? Saw a great pair online but I'm gonna need to proxy this purchase so knowing how the fit will be terrific.

wb9sgw.jpg

These are some T-000s tagged size 29. As you can see they are a pretty slim/skinny fit. The picture taken above was taken quite some time ago, and these have stretched out A LOT. The waist is now somewhere near 31-32 and of course the knees are bulging out. Hope that helps.