australia :: melbourne :: shopping

Tyro1

^ yep, pretty sure that's the case. fyi, i managed to get my hands on a couple j+ chinos and they are on the fucking money. just need them slimmed down a touch.

anyone here read much? just found out about bookdepository.co.uk (cheapest books, free & quick delivery) - any one with some recommendations?

currently exhausting all the murakami books i can get my hands on. wouldn't mind trying some non-fiction shit, too.

anyone here read much? just found out about bookdepository.co.uk (cheapest books, free & quick delivery) - any one with some recommendations?

I know this gets mentioned a lot but The Road by Cormac McCarthy is a pretty solid read, although it's not very long... took me like 4 hours to finish. Which is actually a positive thing cos I don't usually have the patience to finish books in a single seating.

Also, Musashi by Eiji Yoshikawa is motherfucking long but has been a constant source of inspiration for me. If you like that kinda lyrical, lucid vibe that translated Japanese books tend to have this should be good for ya.

I actually pretty much just buy children's books these days. No patience for proper ones and a lot of them are definitely children's books meant for adults, especially Shaun Tan ones.

I know this gets mentioned a lot but The Road by Cormac McCarthy is a pretty solid read, although it's not very long... took me like 4 hours to finish. Which is actually a positive thing cos I don't usually have the patience to finish books in a single seating.

film is out in a bit over a week. so excited to see how it's translated..

the trailer looks sooo good.

Yeah man, John Hillcoat is super legit. The Proposition is the best local film ever mande, and Nick Cave/Warren Ellis doing the soundtrack is also awesome.

Did you see the second trailer though? Hilarious, for some reason they decided to pitch it as a feel good father/son film or something and the inspirational music they inserted is fucking ridiculo.

Yeah man, John Hillcoat is super legit. The Proposition is the best local film ever mande, and Nick Cave/Warren Ellis doing the soundtrack is also awesome.

Did you see the second trailer though? Hilarious, for some reason they decided to pitch it as a feel good father/son film or something and the inspirational music they inserted is fucking ridiculo.

NO, really? If they wreck this film I'll be so cut.

NO, really? If they wreck this film I'll be so cut.

Nah reviewers have said it's pretty true to the book, like No Country For Old Men. The whole trailer fiasco is just the distribution company being douchebags.

Found the gay ass 2nd trailer:

i4aNZGniOG4

At first I was like :D, then I was like :(.

Nah reviewers have said it's pretty true to the book, like No Country For Old Men. The whole trailer fiasco is just the distribution company being douchebags.

Found the gay ass 2nd trailer:

At first I was like :D, then I was like :(.

as soon as you guys mentioned a second (lighter) trailer i thought of this.

KmkVWuP_sO0

not sure if you read this link before, but I think that it's amazing how parts of Pittsburgh can bring to life the novel's bleak dystopia without the need for CGI: http://www.usatoday.com/life/movies/news/2008-08-06-the-road-preview_N.htm

also Nick Cave/Warren Ellis soundtrack sold me on the film. I loved their work on The Assassination of Jesse James, great stuff.

Yeah that soundtrack duo is perfect for understated, atmospheric shit. The did The Proposition too, which imo is better than Jesse James (I watched both back to back). Definitely watch it, one of the best out of the neo-western flicks. The Good, the Bad and the Weird is also awesome, although totally different and way better than the wanky trainwreck that is Sukiyaki Django.

ESS Hoshika is like my secret favourite label but have you guys seen the winding pant they came out with recently? Fit is pretty good, although the raw seam running down the leg is a little reminiscent of a LUC piece currently on sale at EM. Their womenswear has always been top notch but their mens stuff is starting to look up; it used to have some really dodgy printed stuff but it's getting much better.

IMG_1080.jpg

IMG_1048.JPG

Yeah that soundtrack duo is perfect for understated, atmospheric shit. The did The Proposition too, which imo is better than Jesse James (I watched both back to back). Definitely watch it, one of the best out of the neo-western flicks. The Good, the Bad and the Weird is also awesome, although totally different and way better than the wanky trainwreck that is Sukiyaki Django.

I'll definitely have to hop on The Proposition, I thought The Good, the Bad and the Weird was entertaining although it more or less fell apart completely in the final quarter of its run time. I still think A Bittersweet Life was the best movie Kim Ji-Woon made. I'd have to defend Sukiyaki Western Django though, it is supposed to be a wanky trainwreck and hardly takes itself seriously. Just an example of Miike at his most irreverent.

I watched Moon recently, pretty solid movie with a Clint Mansell score.

wow, ESS do menswear? I always just thought they were purely womans, especially judging by the really feminine displays they always seem to have up.

those pants look great, do they come in black? if so i'll be checking that out asap.

what are the price points lotek? made is aus?

they have the store on gertrude right? Never been in, but it looks interesting

Yeah their flagship is at Gertrude St, and they pulled out all their stock from other stores once they opened it last year, so it's the only place afaik where you can get their stuff.

I'd have to defend Sukiyaki Western Django though, it is supposed to be a wanky trainwreck and hardly takes itself seriously. Just an example of Miike at his most irreverent.

Haha yeah I kept trying to convince myself that but man... maybe Tarantino's appearance turned me off (hate the muthafucka and his unoriginal "tribute" fanboy crap), or maybe it's cos I was pretty high/stoned when I watched it at MIFF, but it never got to the point where I really enjoyed myself. Definitely wanna watch Moon though, the premise is fantastic and apparently it's the hardest (read: most realistic) sci fi film ever made.

wow, ESS do menswear? I always just thought they were purely womans, especially judging by the really feminine displays they always seem to have up.

those pants look great, do they come in black? if so i'll be checking that out asap.

what are the price points lotek? made is aus?

Their menswear section is fairly small still, and it's right at the back. The pants don't come in black yet or I'd definitely have gotten them, but they do come in a brown and navy check material for some reason.

I think those pants are $3-400... If I'm not wrong they're made in Aus with Japanese fabrics. The price points are really good for what they are, for eg their rust-dyed tops (mens versions available) are something like $110 or $120. If I had a vagina I'd wear their stuff all day.

For those interested, they've recently started a blog here, but mostly features their womens line.