High Fashion Mountaineering Boots...

RAISED BY WOLVES

really? i thought you worked them out with some hiking socks... something about stepping into a vagina if i recall correctly? sucks that it didn't work man...

edit - i sent away for the RM catalog a couple weeks ago and it came today. a lot more pictures than on their site, and they're much better quality (you can actually see details). some amazing stuff.

Yeah, I think the thing about mountaineering/hiking boots is that ultimately they are built with function (support, durability, protection) in mind over comfort. Especially the vintage variety often found on eBay, etc. Even more so after they have been worn and molded by someone else, as DDML mentioned. I think it would be tough to find a comfortable vintage pair.

I know I preach RM, probably a little too much, but this is exactly why I get so excited about Russell Moccasin, especially the Safari Boots - they are insanely comfortable out of the box, and they are made for comfort, whereas mountaineering boots are made to keep your feet from being crushed by a boulder.

snip

I know I preach RM, probably a little too much, but this is exactly why I get so excited about Russell Moccasin, especially the Safari Boots - they are insanely comfortable out of the box, and they are made for comfort, whereas mountaineering boots are made to keep your feet from being crushed by a boulder.

word to our mothers. i am wearing my birdshooters right now. last night i treated them with Obenaufs for the first time (inspired my a passage in Mount Analogue [a metaphysical mountaineering book] in which the value of caring for your footwear is emphasized) and they feel so supple---plus they turned from a brick red to an almost chocolate-y brown (more like devil's food cake).

So I'm thinking of picking up a pair of these:

ROGU-MZ1_V1-BIG.jpg

... to wear for the few remaining weeks of snowy and icy weather in the Northeast U.S. Has anyone worn them (or the Quoddys) on icy and snowy sidewalks? How do they perform?

I love the way they look, but I imagine myself slipping and sliding all over New England.

So I'm thinking of picking up a pair of these:

... to wear for the few remaining weeks of snowy and icy weather in the Northeast U.S. Has anyone worn them (or the Quoddys) on icy and snowy sidewalks? How do they perform?

To be perfectly honest not too well. No traction on the sole, definitely the slipperiest shoes I own. I tread carefully in them. Not a hazard, but New England ice will be pretty brutal. They are unlined so make sure to waterproof these joints, or else soggy feet await. I love the shoes, though.

IMG_0292.jpg

I pulled the trigger on the DJ Mountain Lights... Thanks to Becks for the sizing advice. For anyone who wants to know, they're made on the same lasts as the US Danner Mountain Lights, so the sizing is the same. I'm right in between sizes so had to size up. Maybe an insole will make it a little more snug.

Can someone recommend me a good suede waterproofing pray?

IMG_0292.jpg

I pulled the trigger on the DJ Mountain Lights... Thanks to Becks for the sizing advice. For anyone who wants to know, they're made on the same lasts as the US Danner Mountain Lights, so the sizing is the same. I'm right in between sizes so had to size up. Maybe an insole will make it a little more snug.

Can someone recommend me a good suede waterproofing pray?

Granger's does a Waterproof Nubuck/Suede protector for Gore-Tex called Granger G-Max

http://www.grangers.co.uk/productview.cfm?id=12 (this seems to be the new version)

This is the older version, same company, not sure if it is any different but it claims to do the same as the Granger's G-Max stuff. However DO NOT BUY THE G-WAX ONE. Not suitable for Gore-Tex I hear.

http://www.altrec.com/grangers/g-tec-nubuck-suede-protector

Why is everyone obsessed with treating their leathers? I'd never put shit on any of my boots. If they are made with quality materials, you do not need to treat them with any oils, rubs, sprays, whatever. I asked Patty as Russell Moccasin about treating my Chamois Safari Boots and she practically laughed at me. Leather is waterproof and it breathes. Don't fuck with it.

i understand that they're already waterproof and won't allow your feet to get wet, what i want the spray for is to protect the suede from stains, etc. so they don't get fucked up on hikes if it starts to downpour.

for the people who asked:

-they are japanese exclusives, i proxied them, although they were available through rakuten's borderless program, i wanted the extra assurance that i'd actually get them, and the proxy avoided customs fees for me, so the price was only slightly more than doing it myself

-yes, size down, like you would for other boots. i confirmed from danner customer service in portland that the japanese models were made on the same lasts as the US versions, and then tried on a pair of US Mountain Light IIs, so I knew what size to get. if you can't find a store that carries your size, danner.com has a zappos-style return policy, they'll pay for shipping back to them for returns, so just order a couple sizes and see which is best, then ship them back

-yes, that's an accurate color right now, although becks explained to me that they get a little darker with wear

If you're dropping in excess of $400 USD on a pair of shoes/boots, I'd imagine you'd want to do your best to ensure nothing backfires and fucks up.

What does that even mean? Fucks up and backfires?

I can appreciate that you don't want to get stains on them - I mean, sure, those things are so dope all crispy looking - but you aren't going to find something that will fully protect, and whatever you do put on them will change the look and feel of the suede. I wouldn't risk it.

from what i understand, mountaineering dudes preferred suede because it wasn't as fussy as regular leather----it does not show scratches/scrapes.

and while i agree that many probably obsess over leather care, i think there is a happy medium between doing nothing and treating too much

-yes, size down, like you would for other boots. i confirmed from danner customer service in portland that the japanese models were made on the same lasts as the US versions, and then tried on a pair of US Mountain Light IIs, so I knew what size to get. if you can't find a store that carries your size, danner.com has a zappos-style return policy, they'll pay for shipping back to them for returns, so just order a couple sizes and see which is best, then ship them back

I'ma have to check on that again...since I'm considering the customs. I swore that going true to size with 'em was the way that felt best when i tried on the US joints...that is, unless you want a SNUG fit...and perhaps a bit of pain the first handful (at least) of wears.

It's not like my heel was loose and flopping all about whilst walking in 'em in my actual size.

Not really though. Leather is water-resistant -- not waterproof. Do nothing to treat your shitkicking winter boots, even good ones, and you'll end up with cold, wet feet.

Ah, true. Good point.

But you have to also consider that - depending on the material - the more waterproof your boots are, the less breathable they will be. Waterproof boots = sweaty feet. And unless they are insulated they will be cold too. Cold sweaty feet < water resistant boots. This is where wool socks are key. Warm when wet.

You also have to keep in mind what you really need. Most people think they need way more from their gear than what is really necessary. Like fully taped, seam sealed down jackets. If it's cold enough to need down, that shit doesn't need to be waterproof. It won't be raining. And if it's wet it's not going to be that cold.

Not sure where I'm going with this - but I still say, let the boots do what they do best naturally. Especially if you plan to wear them year round. Just use different socks.

Not sure where I'm going with this - but I still say, let the boots do what they do best naturally. Especially if you plan to wear them year round. Just use different socks.

Tough to disagree with this.

The only thing I'd add though is that untreated leather eventually dries up and cracks. With that comes a decrease in performance (definition applied loosely) and appearance.

Fortunately, keeping your leather conditioned only requires some occasional maintenance. Not the fanatical attention that some suggest, but you know, more than nothing. And a small tub of Obenauf's will last you for years.