shit you hate

RedFoxxworth

check your privilege. if you don't actively support my blog and reblog all of the selfies i take in my parents house you are perpetuating the oppressive binary.

attn: sschadenfude (idk how the fuck to spell your name)

exhibit a:

http://aboutthinprivilege.tumblr.com/

(i sincerely hope this is a satirical blog -- anyone have info?)

I could be wrong but I think it's supposed to be making fun of this: http://thisisthinprivilege.tumblr.com/

when sales hit only the m, l, xl for clothes are left

the shoes, only 5.5, 6s are left

i haven't noticed that, but i'm probably biased since those are the sizes i usually wear, so it seems like i can never find them when i want to

also, why do they even continue to produce so many garments in such large sizes when they always go on sale? it doesn't even help labels maintain exclusivity

dunno know about american football, but sunny day real estate was like the 3rd wave i think.    the math rock kids liked that shit

anything midwest/twinkly is third wave. original was shit like embrace, hoover, lincoln, etc, more from the punk/hardcore scene

i haven't noticed that, but i'm probably biased since those are the sizes i usually wear, so it seems like i can never find them when i want to

also, why do they even continue to produce so many garments in such large sizes when they always go on sale? it doesn't even help labels maintain exclusivity

I know! personally I think they're afraid to exclude the clients that have the $$ who would be in larger size or maybe they're just yanking our chains, maybe..

there's a wicked laced heels on theoutnet that was 3k, now 800, if it's still there, ackermann runway

I also look at flats and there were some frm various stores that only had 5.5, 6 left..my sister shoe size but it would be wasted on her because she likes more Havana and Toms ):

check your privilege. if you don't actively support my blog and reblog all of the selfies i take in my parents house you are perpetuating the oppressive binary.

it's impossible to find any good information or discussion on tumblr because of these people; like every tag has somehow become a selfie tag for nonmainstream college girls.

it has to do with the way that you plan fabric orders and make cutting markers; plus the labels don't really care unless they get items sent back, their customers are the retail stores.

Edited by madame twerq

it has to do with the way that you plan fabric orders and make cutting markers; plus the labels don't really care unless they get items sent back, their customers are the retail stores.

i'd think the retailers would see that smaller sizes are in greater demand and adjust the orders they make in the future accordingly if only to make the most of their investments, and i'd think the manufacturer would have to accommodate those orders and would eventually produce fewer garments in the unwanted sizes for their own good

if it hasn't happened yet, then i guess it isn't ever going to happen, so we're going to keep seeing clothes that most of us could swim in at the end of each season

minimum orders are a thing though, and a lot of the time full size runs are stipulated. this is in the label's best interest because it wastes the least amount of fabric and looks best for their books.

more to the point you can't predict what will and won't sell, necessarily, and just cutting more XS or whatever can backfire if you end up with piles of XS at clearance instead. doing the big sizes is part of hedging your bets on what will get the maximum amount of sales and the minimum amount of clearance items. they're selling plenty of XLs, the stuff at the end of the season is just outliers and commercially unsuccessful designs.

like if anything it's just indicative of fat people being self conscious in leather jackets, not poor business choices.

Edited by madame twerq

not sure if this factors in but do a lot of people buying sizes bigger than their true size because that's how they want to wear it make a difference? Say medium is most popular amongst brand but people who wear medium buy the certain piece in a L or XL because they want a different fit. Is that a thing

"most of us" actually meaning most of us here on the miniscule sample that is superfuture > supertrash. if u start spending more time in brick-and-mortars especially u begin to realize that a huge portion of the luxury market still is these larger (generally older) men & women -- 'specially men. 

[snip]

thought i'd chime in here from some years of experience hovering about the fora & dealing with the customers you're talking about in an establishment catering to their tastes. what you describe does to some extent apply to pure brick and mortar. it has also been made irrelevant with the broader adoption of buying (and, however reluctantly, selling) online. used to be that by the time you were placing your buy order, you knew the exact number of pieces in the right size for the customers you already knew you had. in some cases these customers were pretty much pre-ordering in the buy that came with a minimum order size. as c points out, some designers had a full size run factored into the minimum order. some went beyond that with even more specific requirements like x number of the more experimental pieces or installation/presentation materials. there was at least one case where a designer required the entire collection to be purchased or nothing at all (altieri, who else..)  

while its true that the megaballers primarily came in size 48-52, they did not make up for the lion's share of sales. a good number were people i knew to have limited to moderate income. while they may not have dropped 10k a sitting on a regular basis, they did contribute significantly and in significantly greater numbers. they also seemed to be more invested in what they were buying and often more interested in discussing it than your traditional luxury consumer. 

another noteworthy bit is that although the shop i had this experience with promoted itself as strictly menswear, a large number of female clients continued to take interest in the merchandise and subsequent orders were placed in smaller sizes. when one-click internet sales became something to compete against, all stock in full range of sizes became available online. if you do not give your potential customers the full selection, they will find it elsewhere. 

its also maybe worth noting that many of the smaller shops in the business of selling luxury goods are fun side projects of some oligarch's bored wife, an independently-wealthy dude who wants to give himself a reason to go to paris fashion week and be chummy with designers or 'first try at running a business' for someone with a really wealthy family that put them up to it. what i'm trying to say is that there isn't a huge return on investment in having a business selling these things. if you look at what the rent was for space used by, say, layers in london, try and figure out how much they would have had to sell through within a year just to break even. probably more than everyone slinging ninja jawnz put together.

tl;dr: sales don't support your assertion. there's at least one great story about rick telling a guy at the palais royale shop to 'spend that money on a gym membership instead of buying the clothes'. stuff in production has minimum quotas on all sides, from the production end to the shop buy. once the order is placed, the sell-through is not something established designers lose any sleep over. in many cases neither do the shop owners. 

Edited by merz

minimum orders are a thing though, and a lot of the time full size runs are stipulated. this is in the label's best interest because it wastes the least amount of fabric and looks best for their books.

more to the point you can't predict what will and won't sell, necessarily, and just cutting more XS or whatever can backfire if you end up with piles of XS at clearance instead. doing the big sizes is part of hedging your bets on what will get the maximum amount of sales and the minimum amount of clearance items. they're selling plenty of XLs, the stuff at the end of the season is just outliers and commercially unsuccessful designs.

like if anything it's just indicative of fat people being self conscious in leather jackets, not poor business choices.

i should have realized this simply because i rarely see sizes excluded when the current collections arrive, but i appreciate the enlightenment!

not sure if this factors in but do a lot of people buying sizes bigger than their true size because that's how they want to wear it make a difference? Say medium is most popular amongst brand but people who wear medium buy the certain piece in a L or XL because they want a different fit. Is that a thing

although it may not be terribly common, i'm sure it happens
i like to buy some of ann's tank tops and sweaters in sizes which i'd be disappointed to find in any other case

"most of us" actually meaning most of us here on the miniscule sample that is superfuture > supertrash. if u start spending more time in brick-and-mortars especially u begin to realize that a huge portion of the luxury market still is these larger (generally older) men & women -- 'specially men. these are the people & spouses with high, steady incomes, and they're out there casting dollar votes in bloomingdale's, bergdorf's, flagships, etc. buying sz. 52 rick leathers at full retail while the university student looking for an XS drkshdw tee deep sale on yoox is sitting at home wondering "now why doesn't anybody ever stock MY size ... ?"

i think it's easy to look at whatever streetstyle blog, WAYWT thread and say, here's the skinny young ppl who make up the bulk of the mid-/high-end market because they're the ones who get the most representation. but really, nothing could be further from the truth . . . larger, well-established retailers have to lean on the guys & gals making seven figgers at age 38 to turn a profit, so it's ultimately their interests that are going to get representation. on the other hand, you've got places like LN-CC that say, "no, we WANT to focus on those kids, we think there's money in this online customer base who's not making that money, who's never set foot inside a high-end retail store" then crashes & burns, has to be bailed out because the model just isn't viable.

i've accepted the fact that heavily circulated images don't represent most consumers, so i base my estimations on what the major retailers have available in their stores or on their websites in addition to what can typically be found in consignment shops and on auction websites

tl;dr: sales don't support your assertion. there's at least one great story about rick telling a guy at the palais royale shop to 'spend that money on a gym membership instead of buying the clothes'. stuff in production has minimum quotas on all sides, from the production end to the shop buy. once the order is placed, the sell-through is not something established designers lose any sleep over. in many cases neither do the shop owners. 

I'd like to hear more of these apocryphal stories if you don't mind, merz. My occupation is far removed from fashion so superfuture is really my only link, and this is the kind of gossip I love.

canada custom fees,

didnt get much before but lately lot of my packages from japan proxy service got custom of 100$+, its getting ridiculous,

end up no even having a good deal at the end,

and that even if seller mark as gift.

That's strange, I am on the west coast of Canada and have never paid customs taxes for items from Japan. I recently received 2 packages that cost around 800 and 500 (And were marked as such), asked why I was not hit with tax and they told me that Japanese products usually do not get taxed heavily if at all.

On the other hand my friend who lives nearby bought a pair of used shoes from Japan for 650 and was hit with 200 customs.

Edited by Trouble

ive heard custom fees are totally random

ive got hit 3 times with them strictly from items coming from japan,

ive bought multiples times tho and didnt get taxes each time.

100$ for jeans, 150$ for shoes and right now a pair of boots is reviewed by customs...

i except 150$ lol.. fml

"you've got places like LN-CC that say, "no, we WANT to focus on those kids, we think there's money in this online customer base who's not making that money, who's never set foot inside a high-end retail store" then crashes & burns, has to be bailed out because the model just isn't viable.

W8 thats how LNCC backfired? Thought its cuz they got 2 big 2 fast then (wrongly) assumed they could afford 2 keep expanding @ same rate. Not bc they didnt cater 2 older richer..wider ppl. Im always tryin 2 know more bout logistics of these ops

My gurl & i always wanna see in person, try on b4 we buy so i dont keep track of webshops rly. Not elite/involved enuff 2 have notable showroom exp. What i see goin on @ places like selfridges, liberty n then the small boutiques tells me larger end of the size spectrum p much always outnumbers smaller end for womens stuff in terms of leftovers. Happens 4 mens but the real small sizes get big markdowns 2 sumtimes. Dunno if its cuz i do most shoppin in europe not the US. US audience probs bigger. Oh and lotsa fem dudes are buyin sum bigger stuff from womens lines 4 themselves. Havent seen anyone say 'nearly' everybody shuns L-XXL tho. Most just means majority.