japan :: tokyo :: general

lamscott

Some bitch told me that Opening Ceremony TYO was gonna be an eight-floor megastore but it turns out that it's just one big store in Shibuya Seibu Movida. It's got eight different SECTIONS... Same concept as Via Bus shibuya.

Who the hell is really gonna buy odin-esque cool-guy jawns e.g. nom de guerre, band of outsiders in Tokyo?

there's a crazy influx of super lux flagships like dries and raf

but who is really buying all this shit? i've never seen a single person in those stores... tourists from eastern asia?

since those "biyougakkou" students realized that blowing their baito paychecks on dior and balenciaga was totally retarded, jawn retailers like lift are going bankrupt apparently...

A lot of guys going back to Shibu-kaji and old school streetwear style

i really hate those dus wearing "college" tees over button downs. hella gaye.

Speaking of high fashun,

リックオウエンスの人気は不況に勝てるか?

パリ、ロンドン、NYに続き、リックオウエンスの直営店が東京青山に上陸

決定。8月29日にオープンします。マークジェイコブス青山店の隣。

場所:東京都港区南青山6-5-55

Speaking of high fashun,

リックオウエンスの人気は不況に勝てるか?

パリ、ロンドン、NYに続き、リックオウエンスの直営店が東京青山に上陸

決定。8月29日にオープンします。マークジェイコブス青山店の隣。

場所:東京都港区南青山6-5-55

It's gonna be a huge failure.

Some bitch told me that Opening Ceremony TYO was gonna be an eight-floor megastore but it turns out that it's just one big store in Shibuya Seibu Movida. It's got eight different SECTIONS... Same concept as Via Bus shibuya.

Who the hell is really gonna buy odin-esque cool-guy jawns e.g. nom de guerre, band of outsiders in Tokyo?

there's a crazy influx of super lux flagships like dries and raf

but who is really buying all this shit? i've never seen a single person in those stores... tourists from eastern asia?

since those "biyougakkou" students realized that blowing their baito paychecks on dior and balenciaga was totally retarded, jawn retailers like lift are going bankrupt apparently...

A lot of guys going back to Shibu-kaji and old school streetwear style

i really hate those dus wearing "college" tees over button downs. hella gaye.

I've read about it being an 8 floor mega-store too. Several places have reported this. What are they gonna have, a whole floor of Maui and Sons?

I'll try to check it out myself.

I've read about it being an 8 floor mega-store too. Several places have reported this. What are they gonna have, a whole floor of Maui and Sons?

I'll try to check it out myself.

Honestly I don't understand why companies/labels are still doing shit like this in this market condition. The retail market in japan is shit right now. The hottest thing that is actually making a profit is discount fashion retailers like forever 21, zara, uniqlo, etc. If anything, Opening Ceremony should be opening a store in China, not Japan.

I'm pretty baffled about the whole Opening Ceremony thing as well. Aside from the nonsense regarding the idea of a megastore, brands they can offer are well-represented at about ten other stores within a ten minute walking distance. The Japanese brands might have been hard-to-find in America, but good luck selling the same brands next door to their flagship shops.

also ron harman / fred segal store opening up in sendagaya

wtf

since harajuku / shibuya is oversaturated with fashun stores

i think people have decided to move out to neighboring areas

Harajuku is becoming way too corporate.

Big retail brands opening off the Meiji-dori strip.

The biggest thing to come to Tokyo will be Kitson and Abercrombie & Fitch.

Not Rick Owens and Opening Ceremony.

On my way to Ramen Jiro today I walked by Freshness Burger and Mos... Which of the two should I hit up first? I also remember seeing another place called Lotteria or something, but it looked so-so.

Oh and I also passed by a 30 foot Chloe Sevigny at the new Opening Ceremony.

mos coffee shakes

lotteria fucking sucks. at least it sucked balls 10 years ago.

ive been there like twice in my life.

summer desert menu @ mos b the bomb. the yogurt / ice cream / cereal thing.

which ramen jiro? the OG ramen jiro in mita?

ramen jiro is all right. it seems it's the sheer amount of volume that's attracting the customers...

has anyone been to Ivan ramen? apparently some joint run by a white guy

It was the Ramen Jiro in Shinjuku, and it was fucking amazing. I'll go back for sure before I leave Tokyo.

I'll be sure to hit Mos too, and save room for the yogurt/cereal thing.

I know some jackass will yell at me and tell me to search old threads and shit first, but feel free to give me a couple places I can't leave without trying.

Thanks in advance!

I'm pretty baffled about the whole Opening Ceremony thing as well. Aside from the nonsense regarding the idea of a megastore, brands they can offer are well-represented at about ten other stores within a ten minute walking distance. The Japanese brands might have been hard-to-find in America, but good luck selling the same brands next door to their flagship shops.

My impression is their emphasis is selling the there hard-to-find US brands - i.e. Band of Outsiders shop-in-shop (from which they'll could very well make back their rent in the 1st month), Nom De Guerre, Patrick Ervell, etc. - on which they might even offer a more competitive price point, than say Isetan or Barneys JP. I don't think they're going to be frontloading the myriad 'exclusive' Japanese brands they sell in their US stores; or even offering them at all. I think OC is slightly more savvy than that.

from nytimes "Opening Ceremony’s new eight-story mall, which will include a shop for The Row. “The Row was definitely high on our list,” Humberto Leon, an owner of Opening Ceremony, said by phone. Rodarte, Proenza Schouler and Alexander Wang will also have space in the 50,000-square-foot store, which focuses on American brands. There will be music, books and ceramics too. It sounds like a great concept."

Walked by Opening Ceremony today.

It certainly is massive. Obviously the interior will tell the true story, but by the exterior it looked about as cutting edge as Forever 21.

I got the same impression yesterday.

Did you notice the teepee on the second floor.

How's your luck been otherwise?

I stopped even trying stuff on because jackets only go to my elbows here.

I hit the fish market this morning and had some epic sushi at Sushi at Sushi Bun. I highly recommend it if you haven't been.

Hama Riuku Teien park was pretty amazing as well.

Tapas Molecular Bar at he Mandarin is on tap for tomorrow. I can't wait.

Oh, and Herp... I made it to Mos tonight and had your Yogurt Cereal dessert.

Nice call!

glad you liked that mos cereal jawn.

they've had it since i was like 4 yrs old.

i guess OC is not in movida...

kenrokuen in kanazawa is off the hook apparently if you are into japanese gardens

fashion night out: its a google translation so please bear with me. Similar events are happening around the world.

http://www.vogue.co.jp/fno

Brands, designers, and under the Koraboreishon shops in Japan, 9 / 11 (Fri) shops are open until midnight in Tokyo Omotesando, Aoyama Area, and planning special events only and can not be bought the day Limited scheduled.

Fashionable street, Omotesando, Aoyama details of the event to be held in the area one night, you can check and store information and maps will be updated.

Date: September 11, 2009 (Fri) 20:00 ~

19:30~20:00 19:30 to 20:00 Opening Ceremony

23:00~23:30 23:00 to 23:30 Closing ceremony

In Omotesando Hills

Anyone ever been to the Evisu store in Daikanyama? Went there last week and I was impressed with the staff, painting on the Evisu logo onto the jeans. I saw a stack of freshly-made jeans, really liked the whole vibe of the store.

Anyone ever been to the Evisu store in Daikanyama? Went there last week and I was impressed with the staff, painting on the Evisu logo onto the jeans. I saw a stack of freshly-made jeans, really liked the whole vibe of the store.

Did you tell 'em to quit painting the logo down the whole damn pantleg, cuz that shit looks turbo-lame?

Did you tell 'em to quit painting the logo down the whole damn pantleg, cuz that shit looks turbo-lame?

Hahaha, no, I just let them do their thing. I don't like the whole pantleg design either. The "play" kanji (遊) on the rear pockets I like, though.

i've gone to the ramen museum quite a few times

the only problem is that it's in shinyokohama and may be a little out of the way for some tourists.

i recommend that you take an express (or super-express) train from shibuya to yokohama (toyoko line)

another tip: if you are gonna use the metro / tokyu-sen / JR a lot

id suggest that you get a PASMO or SUICA card.

it's a prepaid metro / train card that can be used on all public transportations

in tokyo. don't be a bitch and wait in line to buy train tix.

I went to the Ramen Museum today... It was kind of interesting.

Cool gift shop.

As for the ramen, I had much better in Tokyo. Ichiran and Jiro blow it away.

Made for an interesting trip on a rainy day.

I think I know what i am coppin now. They could've done this shit 6 months ago though, when I had to go buy all the S/S tops at Korean retail