UNIQLO Selvage Denim S-000 [open thread]

onemancult

part II

left them in the hot tub soaking for 45 minutes with minimal agitation. temp was 160F, as hot as my tap produces.

soak.jpg

drained the water and they dripped a lot of blue, so i rinsed them in cold water until they weren't giving off much blue anymore. squeezed out as much water as i could and let them drip until they stopped.

measured them again:

BiG style, post-soak:

waist: 31.5"

fr. rise: 10.25"

bk. rise: 14"

u. thigh: 12.5"

knee: 9.5"

leg opening: 8"

inseam: 30"

then took them down for 30 minutes on low in the dryer (inside out.)

after 25 min, i checked and they were pretty damp, so i put them in for 5 more on high. that worked, as they were still damp in the thighs, ass and waist.

ironed the selvedge cause one of them needed it, then put them on and did some squats and duckwalks to set the creases and let them dry on me.

took measurements again:

BiG style, post-dryer:

waist: 31"

fr. rise: 10.25"

bk. rise: 14

u. thigh: 12.25"

knee: 9.25"

leg opening: 7.75"

inseam: 30"

washed fit pics

washedfrontfit.jpg

washedbackfit.jpg

• Replies 581
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Where can I buy some UNIQLO Selvage Denim other than online in California???

as said above your options are quite limited. if you can deal with using my measurements as a base, you can call them and do a phone order.

i have no idea if they would be cool enough to measure a pair of another size/cut for you. that's asking a lot, and nyc ain't japan (customer service wise.)

i did look into a proxy from japan, and the cost would be close to $120 shipped. not sure if there are nyc people here doing proxy service (i know that i don't have the free time, posting in this thread is about as much as i can do.)

also, i wanted to make a couple of comments about the denim, and cut...

the denim is very smooth, not slubby at all, it reminds me of the denim used on my wife's somet jeans, although these are selvedge and hers are not.

the cut seems like a slight modification of the '47 levis 501, but this is based on comparing my measurements against a sugar cane 47 (the first 47 cut i could find the measurements for easily.) these have a lower rise than the sc47, and a slight taper.

it's a good fit, with a small amount of hip flare, which i think will settle down quickly. they are quite comfortable, and are very dark blue, despite losing a lot of indigo during the soak/rinse.

can't think of anything else to add right now. of course will post pics in a few months to show progression.

shucks, looking at the pics they seem to shrink after soak. I got my sz29 indigo MIJ for abt 2 months now, haven't washed or soaked before and it's almost skin tight now though they have settled down abit.

advisable to soak?

well i did use 160F hot water for the soak, and put them in the dryer to get that shrinkage, so i would think a cold wash wouldn't have quite the same results. i was kind of going for an extreme to test the sanforization, to see if i could shrink them at all.

still, they will shrink a little but should stretch back out to where they are now, i think at least. all-in all you might want to continue to wait for the soak though, it seems like 2 months is pretty fast for their first wash/soak around here.

well i did use 160F hot water for the soak, and put them in the dryer to get that shrinkage, so i would think a cold wash wouldn't have quite the same results. i was kind of going for an extreme to test the sanforization, to see if i could shrink them at all.

still, they will shrink a little but should stretch back out to where they are now, i think at least. all-in all you might want to continue to wait for the soak though, it seems like 2 months is pretty fast for their first wash/soak around here.

cool.

the dryer might have caused most of the shrinkage effect. i'm kinda happy with my fit, although the stack/bunch on the knees sometimes quite annoying to see.

here's a few pics of the MIJ on me, the back pocket fade seems to be the only fading part as of now...

DSC_7170_web.jpg

DSC_7171_web.jpg

3616922897_68abd192c7_o.jpg3616922665_dabd9185e8_o.jpg

I am thoroughly impressed with the quality, even considering that my most recent purchase (the PBJs) were jaw-droppingly awesome.

These are considerably heavier than all previous pairs I had purchased from this label, and the denim is actually raw (as apposed to the one washes from two years ago).

3616922853_12f609dff0_o.jpg3616922533_d810a8e741_o.jpg

3616922687_6daaf65ebf_o.jpg

Thick, super stiff Japanese Selvage denim for $79 USD. Not a bad deal at all.

3618284646_36b6493dcf_o.jpg3618284598_6daa046fbd_o.jpg

3618284962_02ae104bd8_o.jpg

Clearly, these are a good bit shorter than most of the jeans I usually buy. But considering the hell I put my hems through, I don't think that's a problem.

Yes, for the time being, the PBJs are going to be retired from regular wear. They have been great companions, so it's a bit bittersweet...:(

confurious, did you get the regular fit or slim fit?

did you wash them or soak them?

These are slim fits, and they were neither washed nor soaked. The jeans are absolutely sanforized, so it's unnecessary.

right. i know they are sanforized, as i said in my post. however when posting pics it's nice to be 100% clear what you are showing.

now that we have your pics, we have images of both cuts, as well as fit pictures of them both raw and washed. that can only be helpful for the sufu community, right? while we're at it, it would probably help people to know what size you got, height/weight, and your waist size in some other jeans.

as to it being unnecessary to soak sanforized denim, on other threads, sanforized jeans *have* shrunk (sometimes quite a bit) so in my post, i took measurements, hot soaked and then ran them in a dryer, to see if i could get them to shrink. they did, but not very much, and i think they will stretch back out as much as they need to. but now we know what happens, and people can make their own choices with some good information about what will happen.

thanks for taking the time to take and post the pics, i think these are great jeans at a fantastic price that deserve to sell well. also i like to see uniqlo do well because i like their clothes in general.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

just bumping this thread for 2 reasons:

1) went by the nyc store and they still had a bunch of these around.

2) after wearing them 3 days a week since june, gave mine an ocean wash, left them out side to dry and forgot to take them in so they got rained on, and then dried in the sun, then hot rinsed well, and then machine washed and dried on low.

they barely lost *any* indigo. don't show much wear at all. these are going to be slow to fade i think.

oh, these had an initial hot wash/hot dry when new, before i started wearing them, cause i wasn't sure if they would shrink or not and wanted to play it safe (and see what would happen)

pic from today with my iphone, overcast but in daylight:

uniqlimij.jpg

brand new unwashed for comparison:

unwashedfront.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
Apologies if this is the wrong thread. I noticed uniqlo UK are selling Japanese selvedge for £29.99, down from £49.99. I have a pair (bought the last time they had this offer) and are good quality.

Cheers.

thanks for the heads up, the UK members should appreciate the info.

how much do these stretch?

thinking of getting one, but wonder how does it fit compare to an APC NS ?

cheers

they don't stretch or shrink much at all (sanforized.)

no idea about how they fit compared to APC, but since they don't shrink or stretch much, sizing is easy. go try them on.

how much do these stretch?

thinking of getting one, but wonder how does it fit compare to an APC NS ?

cheers

edit: These measurements are post 8-12 months of wear (APCs are definitely over a year old and have about that much wear, uniqlos are a bit less than that)

I had a 29 in APC NS, got a 30 in Regular fit, here are measurements (BiG style):

uniqlo/apc

tagged: 30/29

waist: 33"/33"

front: 10"/9.5"

back: 13"/13"

thigh: 12"/12"

knee: 8.5"/7.5"

leg: 8"/7"

inseam: 32"/32"

In conclusion - slightly looser, but not very.