new pbj model

nettiemoore

• Replies 621
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well no jeans today Gordon over at BiG said that the shipment is still stuck in customs,...ugh waiting seems like forever. hopefully the rest of the sizes will be in tommorrow.

I don't think i'd ever be able to get a pair of jeans with indigo weft, for the same reason i can't get black overdyes... i like the white(or ecru, or pink) weft. plus you must look like a smurf from the waist down after wearing these

Actually, the bleeding on these is very very little in my experience of a few days of wear so far.

I have had no indigo on my legs/skin whatsoever and only the slightist runoff onto my underwear

I expected massive indigo marks all over the place, but the indigo runoff I have seen so far is actually the least of any of my jeans I own.

If I scratch my finger hard against the denim for about 10 seconds there is a little indigo on my nail, but the denim seems to be retaining the indigo extremely well so far

I had these OXS washed by BiG before receiving them, for reference

• 2 weeks later...

In one day of wearing pre-wash, my XX-007s ended up with a clear wallet outline and pronounced whiskering inside the jeans. They also cut up the back of my knees and are currently soaking. Has anyone seen this kind of massive marking in roughly 0 time, or was that just pre-soak?

EDIT: I suspect they wouldn't have cut my knees up too badly if I hadn't ended up taking an unplanned 15 mile or so bike ride in them.

i have noticed quite a bit of stacking fades and some subtile whiskers... but let time get in on these and they are gonna kill...

enjoy:

pbj007denim.jpg

and...

pbjfresh.jpg

should probz introduce as i am nOOb.

been lurking for a minute, and i dig the vibes..got started on nudies (yes i know...)

i have some olas that are decent, about 6 months wear

a pair of RRDS 1 1/2 hour hot soak coming along nicely- almost a month

and my 007's just came yesterday, so i figured it was worth joining the club..

the fit is good after a 1/2 hour cold soak..still a little too long for me, but the selvage is so amazing that it doesn't matter. blue is my favorite color..clearly.

i sized up to a 36 which worked out with the shorter soak, as i have soccer legs..

so they aren't too tight..no colors ran during/after the soak

after a strenuous day sitting on my ass at my office and in traffic:D, there is minimal but visible wallet wear...very shiny, with lighter indigo undertones

i predict fading on these will be an experience..i don't think i'm ever going back to synthetic indigo.

oh and around a belt loop or two you can see the thread unwound a bit. there is definitely a white core, but this shit was heavily dyed..like really, for real.

the ends fade to white.

as far as stiffness, i like wearing raw jeans when they are damp to avoid pain on the leggies. my combs and such set in so the only really cardboardish areas are where the jeans are stacking.

btw respect to blue in green and all denim shops on the interwebz

it's nice getting quality clothing that you know will last you a long time.

why thank you..

some old lady at work tried to cop a feel of the slubbz.

i have a feeling teh wimminz (my own age) will like these jeans. they fit very well.

"The XX-007 uses genuine indigo

dyed warp and weft (threads and yarns) to create a solid blue indigo jean."

big website

i assume genuine means non-synthetic..

maybe that's just me

"The XX-007 uses genuine indigo

dyed warp and weft (threads and yarns) to create a solid blue indigo jean."

big website

i assume genuine means non-synthetic..

maybe that's just me

Nope. In this case genuine still means synthetic. Sometimes they also say "pure", but it's still synthetic. I don't know the chemistry of it, but apparently it's the same as natural indigo formula-wise, but synthesized. And they behave differently. Or something.

to clarify:

they say "genuine" because most modern denim companies use fillers, most commonly, sulpher topping or bottoming. "pure" (i guess that also goes for "genuine") indigo fades better than indigo that has sulpher topping and is the traditional way jeans were originally dyed--with 100% indigo.

natural indigo means that the indigo is derived from plant sources. the chemical structures of synthetic indigo and natural indigo are exactly the same. but people have a soft spot for natural indigo for sentimental reasons, the cool factor, and also some people claim that it behaves differently from synthetic.

synthetic indigo was created a long time ago, so it's not like we're screwing with tradition by buying jeans with synthetic indigo. in fact, in some cases, it's more accurate to tradition.

Miz said what I was trying to, but way better.

But c'mon. Some "claim" natural behaves different than synthetic? There's an awful lot of evidence in the evolution thread supporting that it does behave differently, I think. At the very least, it fades much more slowly. Since most of us are kinda new to these fancy Japanese jeans, it could take a while before we know if Jomons or 001s end up looking like Sorahikos or 003s.

thank you all for enlightening me..

Denim has so much history, it's great learning new stuff..

i admit was somewhat aware of the transition from plant to dye involving chemicals and human processing (i.e. 'synthetic') but the end results can be vastly different.

I think i even recall reading (waaaaaay back in middle school) that indigenous peoples used urea in their processing to make the indigo dyes last longer...synthetic indeed:D

I guess what i meant was that next to my RRDS, the pbjs are like 10x more "indigo"..

even the XX007 weft is dyed with a "truer" closer-to-the-plant-color than the main dyed yarn used in nudie's japanese denim....imho

i am a fairly artistic guy, so i tend to see colors in an intense manner, and there is very little comparison in hue between the rrds and xx007s

.......either way the color on these is one to behold, and i am officially addicted to japanese denims.

what's complicating this is the fact that most denim using natural dyes are also hank-dyed instead of rope-dyed. it might not be the indigo's fault that they are fading differently.

yeah, i think this is crucial. ringring mentioned that in many cases natural indigo can have as vivid a fade as pure indigo. also that natural indigo does not automatically suggest the greencast that we notice on the edo-ais (as an example). it's also the type of natural indigo used, the method of dyeing, etc, etc.

what's complicating this is the fact that most denim using natural dyes are also hank-dyed instead of rope-dyed. it might not be the indigo's fault that they are fading differently.

this is my guess as well.

chemically, it is exactly the same. there is no reason why natural indigo would fade differently than synthetic indigo... unless it's the actual dyeing process.

yeah, i think this is crucial. ringring mentioned that in many cases natural indigo can have as vivid a fade as pure indigo. also that natural indigo does not automatically suggest the greencast that we notice on the edo-ais (as an example). it's also the type of natural indigo used, the method of dyeing, etc, etc.

I've got a pair of natural indigo Katos that are fading a bit (pronounced wallet and rivet fades, some hints of whiskering) after only 2 months of daily wear and 2 washes. They definitely don't share some of the natural indigo properties people talk about when they see almost no fading after 6 or so months.

They're currently on hold while I give my xx-007s their first month of break in though. These things are still not very bike friendly even after a 3 hour cold soak. They shrunk down nicely, softened up a little, but I went on a quick ride yesterday (to the pub, to dinner, to the other pub, to the last pub, and home), and while they're not cutting me any more, they're still not exactly harmless. I might have to see if washing softens them up a little more.

great discussion that i apologize for derailing

but i remember someone - i think polishmike - saying in this or another pbj thread that gordon mentioned there might soon be an XX-008 model, which would use the 006 denim and the 005 cut

which would be bomb as f***

anyone have any additional info on this? does it still exist in the realm of fantasy only? does anyone who can rock the japonais feel like writing the company?