what are you eating today?

soepom

Spent the birthday weekend out of town with my SHBZ. Traded (more of failed to book a reservation / "lack of foresight") a fancy dinner at Antonio's for something a bit cozier and less fussy. Italian was the general idea, and after a google search, three misleading food blogs, and a bad restaurant later, we finally ended up in this place.

Tucked away off Tagaytay's main road, it's an easy place to miss for the uninitiated. A lakeside vista overlooking the Taal volcano, its one of those nooks and places one wouldn't think existed just an hour and a half out of Manila. Trees and softly lit pathways leading to restaurants reminded me of Singapore more than anything, and it was a welcome supplement to that feeling of disconnect. Much as it isn't, at least I can think that I'm far away from the <insert string of negative adjectives here> of Manila.

The menu was as Italian as any restaurant in the Philippines could be. It wasn't trying to be anything too serious, and I appreciate that. No promise of "genuine Italian cuisine", no tambourine totting waiters parading out of the kitchen to sing happy birthday. Frosted beer mugs and pizza from a wood oven, it straddles the concept that food should simple and good (and maybe simple thus good?) which is what the gist of Italian food is. (and if you disagree, then for me atleast.)

Not a lot of restaurateurs here in Manila get the concept of the Italian restaurant right. There's something about it being too contrived that often leaves it ironically cold. Too much on the bells and whistles, too little on the food. Funny the difference a little drive out of the city makes. I think the mug (with t3h bic3pt p3@ks) says it all. It might not be the prettiest thing, but it sure gets the job done.

(Food: Four Cheese, Slab Bacon Stewed Tomato Penne thang, Lamb)

4658460619_27d66a4a9d_b.jpg

4658460941_5aa027e716_b.jpg

4658461315_9050dc0369_b.jpg

4659085466_c57d34641d_b.jpg

4659085794_171f95e07b_b.jpg

4659086306_4f29ec9086_b.jpg

4659086620_035afa3d0d_b.jpg

got home drunk at like 8am this morning and was feining a burrito.. two blunts and two hours later..

15678333.jpg

cheese, barbacoa, salsa, and quac ... so dank

91438047.jpg

:(:(:(:(:(

want. but cannot have.

^ That burrito just kills me. You'll never find anything decent like that here in Manila. (FML)

Brunch the next day, back at the same restaurant for more. Cheese stuffed spinach pasta, shrimp and mushroom ravioli, and four cheese pizza.

4658463325_361736d3e3_b.jpg

4659086978_1d9aab7e44_b.jpg

4659087476_66972a2bf5_b.jpg

Impending food coma warranted a cup of coffee for the drive back home.

4659087686_96fbe9e78e_b.jpg

And dinner. I've been negged for Chili's before, but this is as close to greasy "texmex" (hate that word) comfort food as we can get here. Nothing like tacky to wash down a weekend of gluttony. "Fajitas".

4659088072_1516e2afb9_b.jpg

^

And dinner. I've been negged for Chili's before, but this is as close to greasy "texmex" (hate that word) comfort food as we can get here. Nothing like tacky to wash down a weekend of gluttony. "Fajitas".

4659088072_1516e2afb9_b.jpg

Why do you hate the term tex-mex?

The automatic Bobby Flay association. That and how far cheddar nuked "texmex" is from actual Mexican.

I don't really associate it with Bobby Flay at all, honestly. What Flay does is much more like..."southwestern"...from what I can tell.

And texmex isn't supposed to be actual Mexican. It's what's developed from the influence of Mexican food on the food (and fatness) of Texas. That's why it's texmex.

Not hating on your opinion or distaste for the term if it bothers you, just wondered since it's always just seemed like a pretty descriptive word to me. And I'm definitely prone to being irritated by stupid titles.

But I've also lived in Texas my entire life, so I'm pretty used to it at this point.

edit: sorry for the off-topic posts

I don't really associate it with Bobby Flay at all, honestly. What Flay does is much more like..."southwestern"...from what I can tell.

And texmex isn't supposed to be actual Mexican.

Wholeheartedly agree with both those statements. Especially the latter one. It actually really grinds my gears (I did not just say that) when people assimilate the two. There's Mexican (which encompasses a lot of different regions (a post in its own right)) and then there's Tex-Mex. Sort of like how there's Chinese (again, with a ton of different regional styles), and then American-Chinese food.

Anyway, I just love me some real Tex-Mex. Shit is sooooo good.

For those interested, here's a typical Tex-Mex menu: http://www.chuys.com/#/menu

Edit: WillKhitie, btw, this wasn't directed personally at you (or you, youkinorn). I just happen to really be down with Tex-Mex.

It actually really grinds my gears (I did not just say that) when people assimilate the two.

Ding. Exact same wavelength. It's the false association that people have with both that bugs me the most. That doesn't make me love cheddar nuked dishes or radioactive orange sweet and sour pork any less.

Edit: Okay, way off topic now. It's a lot like when people confuse Macross with Robotech? (Make sense? No. Okay. Back to food).

Bored fit in the kitchen with the sister's kids over. It started out as smores. Somehow just stuffing it with crushed teddy bear grahams, almonds, and then shaving dark chocolate Toblerone on it just happened.

4658464753_81db7ca448_b.jpg

4659088342_9f4e61d001_b.jpg

For those interested, here's a typical Tex-Mex menu: http://www.chuys.com/#/menu

the Chuy's link leads me to believe you are familiar with the Austin area (though I know they have places in dallas and houston, too).

If you haven't been, I highly recommend Sazón on south lamar for some Mex-Mex food (I'm so clever). It had been on my list to try for a long time and finally did it recently...was not disappointed.

www.sazonaustin.com

the Chuy's link leads me to believe you are familiar with the Austin area (though I know they have places in dallas and houston, too).

If you haven't been, I highly recommend Sazón on south lamar for some Mex-Mex food (I'm so clever). It had been on my list to try for a long time and finally did it recently...was not disappointed.

www.sazonaustin.com

man i was just in austin and i ate like a king the whole time i was there.

some tex mex joint with avocado margaritas, a mexican restaurant beside a gun range outside of town a little bit, that torchys place (fried chicken and fried avocado tacos blew my mind). i love the south.