Samurai 510XX 21OZ

so why do people buy from them? kinda like buying a benz without the logo on it?

err yeah and they charge more too..

and this is my 888 post ( very lucky for the chinese)

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The metality here is that

A) The denim quality speaks for itself. There is no need for some loud branding.

B) Compare, in your mind, the number of people who would recognize the Mercedes logo with the Samurai arcs. To which side is the scale tipped as far as recognition goes?

C) Branding is vanity, and we would like to support Blue in Green for the work that they have done in bringing our favorite brands to the US.

I've purchased jeans from Selfedge and BiG and will probably do so in the future. But I'm also a badge-monkey, so yeah, branding really is important to me. Plus, like Edmond, since I don't live in the US, it's easier for me to get jeans direct from Japan. Faster too (Japanese EMS is faster than DHL from the US by at least a day and by four days versus global express).

If you dont like branding then I imagine you remove all stitching from all your jeans then LOL

Supporting big is stupid, hello, they are made in japan. Why not support wrangler at least they are made in the US still.

Screw Levis, its a big (no pun intended) world out there, maybe they sould concentrate on making something of quality and less on trying to stop someone who does.

Screw Levis, its a big (no pun intended) world out there, maybe they sould concentrate on making something of quality and less on trying to stop someone who does.

Because it's probably cheaper for them to sue these companies than it is for them to improve their own product. Whole other threads been written on the subject anyway.

Plus, I don't ever see Levis coming out with a 21oz jean in the near (or distant) future.

The metality here is that

A) The denim quality speaks for itself. There is no need for some loud branding.

B) Compare, in your mind, the number of people who would recognize the Mercedes logo with the Samurai arcs. To which side is the scale tipped as far as recognition goes?

C) Branding is vanity, and we would like to support Blue in Green for the work that they have done in bringing our favorite brands to the US.

If you dont like branding then I imagine you remove all stitching from all your jeans then LOL

Supporting big is stupid, hello, they are made in japan. Why not support wrangler at least they are made in the US still.

preach. 12345

we've been through all of that, half a year ago.

it's not that we don't like branding, it's just that the jeans are equally good with or without the arcuates and tabs. if they're there, it's cool, but nothing is lost if they have been removed, apart from a sense of sentimentality.

but for me id rather pay retail for a pair of jeans or a new car with their badge. or tab on it than paying a higher price for a car or a jeans with their tabs or badges taken off... but thats just me im not against BIG here its just that id go for the first option.. this is all because of that stupid levis shit go to hell the fucking ceo of levis die die die!!!!!

As a matter of fact, I have removed the stitching from all of my jeans with a nail clipper. Back in the day, people were significantly more interested in what mill the denim for their jeans came from than brand 'image' and 'loyalty.' To me, jeans are less a form of fashion than a form of folk art that you can wear. Anyone from farmers, to slaves, to spoiled teenagers can wear a pair of raw jeans untill the fading becomes beautiful. I guess I do not think about wearing a brand so much as wearing a product. I know that ring spun, narrow loom, 17oz pure indigo denim from Samurai fades (subjectively) better than a pair of STF's with the Levi's arcs and tab. As a consequence, I want to reward my local supplier with my business because of his superb customer service and store policies. Instead of lusting after Levi's old trademarked arcs found on all of their jeans, we should be following their old motto:

"Patronize Your Home-town Merchant-He's Your Neighbor."

This is a lame argument. It isn't the branding that I like about Sammies. It is the quality. If I liked branding I would have True Religions on. The only reason I like the arcuates and tags on Sammies is because it represented a big FUCK YOU to levis not because people in my neighborhood know what I am wearing. Even if we in America bought from Japan, the arcuates would still have to be taken off. If you want the branding then get some Von Dutch or Stronghold jeans.

Justin, seriously, that was very eloquently put. Well said! If I were in NY or SF I would certainly by buying my denim in person from Big or self edge. There is nothing better than proper service, which by all accounts these guys provide and more. Supporting your local businesses is a very important philosophy for me, be it records, jeans, well butchered meat or locally grown vegetables. If you don't support them, they will disappear.

I haven't bought any denim over the web, my recent purchases of samurais and sugarcanes were made in person in Ueno. So I can't comment on the differences between online shopping from the US or Japan. I guess my first will be the warehouse contest jeans.

If they will ship to you they will have the stitching.

They don't always have the stitching, unless you go through an intermediary. Many japanese retailers are not shipping their items to the US anymore... just look at Zipangu treasures, which doesn't sell anymore japanese denim to the US because of the lawsuit, and there are a few more that I can't remember.

I just got an email from BIG saying that the 21oz measure 2" too small, meaning a tagged size 30W will shrink to 28.

"Patronize Your Home-town Merchant-He's Your Neighbor."

Well distance wise, Japan is closer to Australia than NY. And the time difference is only an hour whereas the last time I called NY to order my jeans, it was 2am in the morning. I suppose that quote's more relevant to people in the US.

I just got an email from BIG saying that the 21oz measure 2" too small, meaning a tagged size 30W will shrink to 28.

THIS is why I don't do pre-purchases. I knew that 21oz is going to affect the cut of a 510 differently to a 15oz version. Hopefully fadeaway and Edmond will post fit pics of theirs when they come in.

Pics as promised. I'll do some post soak after I get home from work. These are really stiff and really thick.

21oz001my3.th.jpg

21oz002gf9.th.jpg

21oz003ic6.th.jpg

21oz004gk7.th.jpg

What is the sizing on those. What did they measure when you got them and what do they measure now. Mainly the waist measurements.

i think that will be ok i mean the 2" smaller cause it wont fit like a relaxed jean like what they say on big it will shrink to a nice semi fitting jeans imo

OK these are excruciatingly tight in the waist but the thing is the waist will stretch out. I sized down one on these because of the loose cut and I really like the way they fit in the legs. I will measure the waist when I take them off but my fingers nearly bled trying to get them buttoned LOL.

postsoak21oz001jc8.th.jpg

postsoak21oz002si4.th.jpg

OK these are excruciatingly tight in the waist but the thing is the waist will stretch out. I sized down one on these because of the loose cut and I really like the way they fit in the legs. I will measure the waist when I take them off but my fingers nearly bled trying to get them buttoned LOL.

postsoak21oz001jc8.th.jpg

postsoak21oz002si4.th.jpg

we both have the same idea but i sized down 2 oh no! hahahahaha man good luck for us mine is coming already it says on the jap ems tracking site.. hmmmm