Samurai 510XX 21OZ

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Disagree..510 is the most regular fit...looks actually pretty nice when worn....

Hot stuff, anyway - but I have a hard time with 21 oz denim...it's got to be like cardboard...

te_img1.jpg

Depends on the quality of the cotton. I have a pair of 21 oz. Iron Heart S 634 and it feels soft and wears like a dream. IH uses Zimbabwean cotton. I'm wearing it right now and lovin' it.

What kind of cotton is used in the 5000vx model?

Edit:

Oh, yeah. The fit on the 510's are down right elegant:

1363647gq8.jpg

Also, it has been my experience that the lighter (in weight) the denim is, the more cardboard-like stiffness they possess. If they are heavy, then they are rock hard due to their density (hence the impossible task of fitting the bottons though the Samurai's botton holes ater a soak).

The SDA, Eternal & IH 21oz denim (which all comes from the same mill) 'cheats' by twisting two normal guage weft threads together to make the fill bump up the weight to 21oz whereas the denim on these appears to be woven conventionally i.e. it appears from the pics that the warp & weft are just thicker. They look very nice.

The SDA, Eternal & IH 21oz denim (which all comes from the same mill) 'cheats' by twisting two normal guage weft threads together to make the fill bump up the weight to 21oz whereas the denim on these appears to be woven conventionally i.e. it appears from the pics that the warp & weft are just thicker. They look very nice.

yeah, I was thinking that this looks like "regular" denim, as opposed to the IH denim that looks very tidy.

and poly, I agree. Samurai just seems to come up with the best stuff. In my opinion, Samurai is definitely #1 because of their innovation and execution.

Even though I'm kind of bored of the brand right now, since I have 3 pairs and have worn one pair everyday for some time, if I was buying 21oz jeans it would be these and no others.

I'll prolly have to buy the Wrangler model that is coming out this year.. and I want a Lee model, and Samurai makes the best Lees, apart from Lee/Edwin self.

Yes, those are Felix's 510's and they were altered like crazy. Lots of denim cut out of the thighs and calf area. They look great now, but all he (or his mom, actually) did was convert them into a 5000vx cut. The 5000's are what every one of their ltd's should be made in.

dsc02742sf6.jpg

dsc02744uf7.jpg

Before you jump on me, I think the mess adds character to the room and photos. At least that's what I tell my roommate... ;)

Edit: I agree with jinx. Samurai is just my favorite brand. It even beats out Studio D'Artisan in my book. The inseam and the cuts all just work on me without making me look really gaunt. I also appreciate their willingness to experiment while leaving certain models as permanent fixtures, like the 'Zero.' Their customer service is insane, as well. Toshiko was offering to do some pretty amazing stuff, and always responded to my emails within minutes... Whether or not it happened to be 11 AM or 1 AM her time. She reminded me of Gordon.

i think the 510xx is an ok cut. it's one of their flagship cuts, and also keep in mind that even though they might have strayed in terms of material, their cuts are still fairly repro based and that in mind, they don't cut what's considered a modern jean....

they seem to do the 510xx in a lot of their signature models though. the AI, 66xx...

.. and I want a Lee model, and Samurai makes the best Lees, apart from Lee/Edwin self.

IT'S A LIE!!!!!! Ok ok so I'm loving my SC40300N Canes so bad right now so pardon the silly retort ;)

However, for the real die hards, neither the Sammy S0110XJ or the canes would qualify because they're not sanforized. The Edwin made Lee's are severely slept upon. And it seems that The Real McCoy have taken over the manufacture license in Japan. It would feel like a massive void exisited if my collection was without any lefty Lee's / Lee repros.

IT'S A LIE!!!!!! Ok ok so I'm loving my SC40300N Canes so bad right now so pardon the silly retort ;)

However, for the real die hards, neither the Sammy S0110XJ or the canes would qualify because they're not sanforized. The Edwin made Lee's are severely slept upon. And it seems that The Real McCoy have taken over the manufacture license in Japan. It would feel like a massive void exisited if my collection was without any lefty Lee's / Lee repros.

The Edwin Lees are very nice in every way except the color I think. It's a little too light and shallowly dyed I think. And of course, the sizing is fucked.

Do you know more about the Mccoy thing? I only know they made one pair for Lee. Edwin still maintains a webpage for Lee & Wrangler products still.

My 44 101B's would reinforce your feeling about the light colour + the suspicion that they're shallow dyed, when I bought them they had fade marks on the belt loops and pockets edges just from the abrasion of being folded and then sandwiched between the other denim in the shop :eek:

However, the 1937 HOH are a different story, they're extremely dark and are very stubborn to fade. A part of the dark colour is due to the warp being grey rather than bleached white as is usually the case. About the sizing, every paiur I've ever seen marked with an inseam of 33 measured 38" or more and only shrinks 1" but the guys at Aero Leather reckon that they do eventually shrink to 33" which I simply cannot imagine. My hemmed pairs might have to be selvedge shorts then . . .

I wish I knew more about the McCoy situation. A post of a few pages ofthe 07 funbook courtesy of coleslawyum on this thread shows a repro jacket that is Lee branded.

My 44 101B's would reinforce your feeling about the light colour + the suspicion that they're shallow dyed, when I bought them they had fade marks on the belt loops and pockets edges just from the abrasion of being folded and then sandwiched between the other denim in the shop :eek:

However, the 1937 HOH are a different story, they're extremely dark and are very stubborn to fade. A part of the dark colour is due to the warp being grey rather than bleached white as is usually the case. About the sizing, every paiur I've ever seen marked with an inseam of 33 measured 38" or more and only shrinks 1" but the guys at Aero Leather reckon that they do eventually shrink to 33" which I simply cannot imagine. My hemmed pairs might have to be selvedge shorts then . . .

I wish I knew more about the McCoy situation. A post of a few pages ofthe 07 funbook courtesy of coleslawyum on this thread shows a repro jacket that is Lee branded.

yeah, I was mostly thinking about the 44s when I said the color was shallow, but I also think it goes for the rest of them too. I've seen others that were quite light in color after just a hand wash(and many months of wear of course).

btw, how do they fit you? the 28s or 36s, dont remember, were quite awful on me since they're so vanity sized. I want to wear the cinchback snug and high, but it seems that isnt happening when the smallest is actually like 32", which I can wear low though.

uhm ok first of all i bought my s510XX in 36 because i checked the measurements on the samurai site and they told me too...first pair of jp denim - first mistake!

they were way too big---so slimmed them, now, like somebody said the cut should be like the s5000vx..

whatever 19oz denim is awesome, they fade really fast and beatle don't worry they are really soft after a soak and some wear.

first day i got them and buttoned them up my fingers hurt like hell because the denim was so rough...

i think the 510xx is an ok cut. it's one of their flagship cuts, and also keep in mind that even though they might have strayed in terms of material, their cuts are still fairly repro based and that in mind, they don't cut what's considered a modern jean....

they seem to do the 510xx in a lot of their signature models though. the AI, 66xx...

Hey poly, what's the 510xx cut closest to (in repro terms)?

btw, how do they fit you? the 28s or 36s, dont remember, were quite awful on me since they're so vanity sized. I want to wear the cinchback snug and high, but it seems that isnt happening when the smallest is actually like 32", which I can wear low though.

The 1936's used to fit me well but then I went and lost some weight and now they don't look good. They are vanity sized by about a size or two sizes too big and being sanforized they don't shirnk much which doesn't help. If I hadn't had them hemmed they would have been in Supermarket ages ago. btw the smallest is a 28 which would measure 30-31" raw so these might still work for you.

whatever 19oz denim is awesome, they fade really fast and beatle don't worry they are really soft after a soak and some wear.

first day i got them and buttoned them up my fingers hurt like hell because the denim was so rough...

thoroughly agreed with felix, ive hardly worn my 19oz 710s and im already seeing lap and knee fade, they are so thick and now that they are softening up they start to feel like some sort of wool or felt rather than denim, its pretty neat. and yes, my fingers felt like i was trying to hammer nails without the hammer after trying to button up the first few times, and rug burn on the back of my hands was a major threat until just recently, both front and back pockets are super tight for some reason

thoroughly agreed with felix, ive hardly worn my 19oz 710s and im already seeing lap and knee fade, they are so thick and now that they are softening up they start to feel like some sort of wool or felt rather than denim, its pretty neat. and yes, my fingers felt like i was trying to hammer nails without the hammer after trying to button up the first few times, and rug burn on the back of my hands was a major threat until just recently, both front and back pockets are super tight for some reason

Same on my S510xx's. Before the soak, even with the jeans off I couldn't button them. I had to stick a thick pen through the button holes to loosen them up.

I have them in a tagged size 36, and post soak they've stretched to 38. They fit a lot differently on me then they do on Felix. If I have time tomorrow I'll take a few pics.