Kicking Mule Workshop

Le Dirte

• 2 months later...

Almost, I think Blue Owl used to have them at $360 regular price. Insane for a belt...but such a nice belt. I wanted one years...finally have one....okay, so I finally have three (natty in 34 and 36, brown in 36). Prices were just way too good to pass up. Also grabbed two pair of raw 1980s.

Tried on the sweatshirt tonight...very nice, mid-weight I'd say, solid feeling fabric though. It is not a tube bod construction like most loop wheeled sweats....neither was the old crew neck terry sweats they did...but that makes them fit a little nicer than the tube body sweatshirts I've tried on.

I'm sad to see them go too...KMW has always had some great product, though a lot of it was quite pricey at regular prices (denim always seemed fairly priced, everything else was pretty high) so maybe that is part of the reason for them closing shop. Stock up now if you like their stuff...I sure did.

pretty sweet prices for natty indigo. i might have to post my old rockers for old times' sake.

Well, it's not pricing set by KMW.  Context bought up all their remaining stock for what I'm guessing was a negotiated price to take on a whole lot of stock.  So they got it all for a good deal and are just passing it on by marking it up based on what they paid for it and not what it would normally sell for.  Pricing goods of this quality like this is probably not sustainable.  Seriously...jeans of this quality for $150 is crazy and the belts are just insane at $95.  No way that they could run profitably at these levels...if so I'm sure someone would be doing it and stealing business from everyone.  So in a way, they are like markdowns....but not really in that these particular goods were never offered at full price first.  

All goods except the sweatshirt seem to have been offered before so there is original retail pricing available to find...I haven't seen the sweatshirt before though.  At the current price it's a steal...no idea what it would have sold for at real retail if KMW had intentions to keep going.  

I tried searching for the sweatshirt and didn't really come up with much besides some bloggers mentioning it in passing as an upcoming release from a couple seasons back.

Hard telling really.

Maybe I'll grab a pair of the 1950 or 1980 since its so much of a steal.

How does the fit look on these 1980s?  I'm just able to get the top button done so I think the waist will be fine if it stretches a bit.  My issue, as with all jeans are my thighs.  There is enough room in the thigh area now but am worried that if they shrink after a soak they will be too tight.  Am I right to assume that any shrinkage will stretch back out with wear?  I'm not looking for a skinny fit.  Thanks!

44fc2957-2984-4246-a488-6eb9e704d0cf.jpg902f9280-e5b3-4731-ade4-46f67bc753f8.jpge1925d2c-b1d6-43ff-aac4-52671ddccabb.jpg

agree, I think the fit looks good.  I hear they'll stretch some, don't know about shrinkage...I'm just wearing mine raw and don't plan to wash them anytime too soon.  Mine fit about the same, top button is tight (not uncomfortably so, but tight) and then I have just the right amount of room through the thighs.  

Pretty sure they're unsanforized, so they'll shrink up a good bit.

Got my sweatshirt last week, fit and weight are both nice.

I was under the impression that these were sanforized and would only shrink minimally. Can anyone clarify please? FYI, these are the latest batch from context.

Edited by weiness

Did you get the 1980 rinse or dry?  I could be wrong but I was under the impression they were unsanforized.

I'm by no means a KMW expert so it's probably best for someone else to chime in.

Did you get the 1980 rinse or dry? I could be wrong but I was under the impression they were unsanforized.

I'm by no means a KMW expert so it's probably best for someone else to chime in.

I got the dry (raw) ones.

I think they are sanforized, but not 100% sure.  The ones from 2011, of which you can find reference to on the Blue Owl website with a search for "KMW 1980 sanforized", are listed as sanforized and they are the left-hand twill fabric w/ the wide outseam...so guessing they are the same for this final run at Context.  

• 3 months later...

Picked up a pair of nwot 1980s today at the local consignment store (Turnabout on Broadway in Vancouver) that were $57 before a 30% discount.  I'm glad I get to own a jawn I've coveted for years without paying ~$275, but it disappoints me to see them go.

• 1 year later...

Still kicking my 1980s. Due for repairs on the back, just been lazy.

Most recent fit pic.

6csYgzd.jpg

tZLxXew.jpg?1

xo0ygTD.jpg?1

CmsFvvg.jpg

Back is pretty torn up at this point.

S1bw6hF.jpg

Love the vertical falling.

LyGa7WF.jpg

Pretty color accurate in this pic.

ZIaACWX.jpg

7UYvlHC.jpg