Kicking Mule Workshop

Le Dirte

I recently picked up a pair of the Boulder based Kicking Mule Workshop jeans from Context in Madison. I was choosing between a pair of Straight Sven's or the 1980 Kicking Mule's. The KMW's fit a lot nicer, had a richer hue, and had a lot of unique touches. There is a selvedge line atop the coin pocket as well as padded back pockets. The denim itself is Japanese selvedge, quite stiff, and has a nice resin finish to it. I couldn't be happier with the jeans.

195537322_0051a4eed8.jpg

195537324_afc10a8261.jpg

195537323_71f2834e9a.jpg

195537325_16c663cb5a.jpg

That last pic gave me a lot of info about your jeans. Hmmm selvedge coin pocket. They must be thai knockoffs.

I really like those jeans. They look a lot like my Jean Shops. I can't wait to see how they break in.

The denim is pretty damn stiff. They also have a nice musky smell from the indigo. The picks make them look a bit baggier than the really are. The cut is a bit slimmer than my 1947's and with a lower rise. It's actually a very flattering cut, they were just laying wierd for the pic. They cost 225 I'm pretty sure.

just a shoutout for a forum member: sam113 at context clothing says he'll be carrying KMW's new selvedge range--in fact i think they're already instore? i was checking with him about his 50% sale and he mentioned that these jeans had just arrived.

no idea about pricing though. just thought it would be useful info for anyone interested.

thanks tweedles-

le dirte did indeed get his kmw's at CONTEXT. he was the the first to buy.

We just got them in and I must say that they are very impressive. The denim is heavy(14oz.) and rigid and has that greasy/waxy feel that we all crave. The construction is heavy duty. I think that these jeans are a great American equivalent to many of the Japanese labels that we all like. If there is interest, I would be happy to post any info I have.

• 2 weeks later...

I ordered the kmw 1950 from CONTEXT. Sam was great at answering all my sizing questions. I really like the finish of this denim. They are very dark and contrasty, but the outdoor photos appear much lighter. Figured out how to set my camera and attached new photos.

kmw17qy4.th.jpg kmw16sh2.th.jpg kmw15vl4.th.jpg kmw1pm4.th.jpg

Yo ron what jeans are those in the first pic? The pic with the double cuffs and black cowboy boots. I am huge fan of cuffs and cowboy boots. Those jeans look good cuffed. Also, the kicking mule jeans are lookin good too. You shoulda gotten a longer pair for some cuffs.

Yo ron what jeans are those in the first pic? The pic with the double cuffs and black cowboy boots. I am huge fan of cuffs and cowboy boots. Those jeans look good cuffed. Also, the kicking mule jeans are lookin good too. You shoulda gotten a longer pair for some cuffs.

1cfascd2qn2.jpg

Thanks. These are Samurai S510XX 19oz. Have not tried to shrink or wear yet since it's summer. They have a really stiff and coarse feel. I already have a couple of jeans that I can cuff so I wanted the KMW to be a shorter inseam.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

http://men.style.com/news/style/112906

November 29, 2006—While more fashionable types seek out lower-priced, no-frills denim, Boulder-based Kicking Mule Jeans isn't giving up on the true-blue connoisseur. The company's new 1950 Classics, which go on sale next week exclusively at Odin in New York and Arlington, Virginia's Denim Bar, are woven and hand-dyed at what Kicking Mule cofounder Joe Vernachio calls "a tiny fabric mill way out in the boondocks in Japan." What's more, says Vernachio, "Because of the way they're made, the dye is pushed all the way through to the core of fabric, meaning they won't lose their color." On the downside, their fabric is too delicate for machine washing, and before they're broken in, the jeans feel a lot like high-grade sandpaper. But Denim Bar co-owner Mauro Farinelli expects such inconvenient facts will only add to the jeans' appeal. "No one does hand-dying in the States, and denim nerds want something that's totally different and that's a true piece of art," he explains. "And the fact that they're crusted and slubby with indigo dye before you break them in gives them a perfect texture." Another fact that may help sales: Only 40 pairs are available. The price? An eye-popping $600, same as a new PS3. Not that your average denim nerd knows what that is.

Just so you know. edit- and they've changed their website, the new pics look good. Slubbyslubbyslubby,mmm.