Kicking Mule Workshop

Le Dirte

Just got my 1980's in the mail from Revolve (can't beat the deal with the 30% off first-time customer code). The denim is much more impressive in person - I can see (and feel) the difference in quality compared to my RRDS and Imperials. They're fairly stiff, yet the denim feels so soft/smooth to the touch. I guess thats the effect of the Zimbabwean cotton. The denim also has a subtle streakiness/unevenness to the color which I think looks fantastic.

I just ordered some 1950's on Monday. I was not aware of the coupon and it was my first order. I sent them an email and referenced my order number. Hopefully they will credit my credit card.

I'm suppose to receive my jeans tomorrow. I can't wait. If they are like everyone says they are, they may become my new favorites.:)

^ I just got an email back from Revolve and they credited me back $82. Needless to say I am very happy. That makes it a very good purchase indeed.:D

Good to hear about their customer service, but more importantly, I expect pics of you new jeans in the near future! Maybe in a few days after you get them somewhat broken in. Hopefully you will be able to contribute to the whole stretching issue that seems to be a bit vague here as well... I hope you enjoy your KMWs as much as I do mine. Peace.

Well I just got my 1950's in the mail. I'm at work and could only try them on briefly. They seem awesome. I'll post some pics once they break in a little. These babies are stiff but nice.The craftsmanship is excellent. Very well made pair of jeans. Sadly, I only really get to wear my jeans on the weekend. So between these and my APC's I'm gonna be working on them for awhile.

I got my true size 36x32 and the waist feels great. If they stretch a little, that's ok. The legs are a little fuller than my APC's which is fine. It gives me a different look to work with. Depending on how these work out, I may be tempted to get the 1980's as well.:D

dasman989-

Did you get your 1950 AWAs back yet?

We (CONTEXT) just took delivery of the last 21 pair- when you described the denim as sheet metal you were right on. Barbara from KMW did recommend that we don't size people down as much on the AWA because the denim is so heavy that it won't stretch as much as your average selvage. Hand-hank dyed and hand loomed, purple selvage, triple chain stitch, etc. We are putting them up on the website now- the detail photos really show the irregularity of the weave.

If anyone wants to grab a pair before they go online and disappear pm me or call the store.

1950_awa.jpg

dasman989-

Did you get your AWAs back yet?

We (CONTEXT) just took delivery of the last 21 pair- when you described the denim as sheet metal you were right on. Barbara from KMW did recommend that we don't size people down as much on these because the denim is so heavy that it won't stretch as much as your average selvage. Streaky finish from the hand-hank dyingThese things are incredible!

1950_awa.jpg

Those 875 look great too...

I have a size 30 in the rockers and a 29 in the awa. I probably should have gone w/ a 30 but it seemed just a little loose when i tried it on in store. Its about 19oz denim and unshrunk as far as i can tell. I'm going to do a cold soak on these this weekend. Will post before & after pics.

anyone know how much these stretch?

i tried on pair of 30s at self edge and they were pretty damn tight but they fit and i figured they'd stretch some....but wanting to save money, i wanted to get them from either denim bar or revolve for th discount but they only got 31s left...which ithink would fit perfect...but i fear stretching...

anyone have experience with this? im guessing these gotta stretch less than normal denim or unsanforized raw denim...

In case you're still contemplating this, I think you will be fine or better off with the 31. I was in the same boat as you, and I decided to opt for the 31s from revolve instead of sizing down. They are a perfect fit if not the slightest bit tight when sitting down.

I have to admit that my first impression was that they have been a little overhyped :eek: on these boards. Before I get flamed and banned for saying that, I should add that i am very satisfied with them nonetheless. The thing is that I was expecting some overcrusted-indigo-flaking-extreme-slubbiness, especiually after reading the GQ report on the limited edition 1950s some months back (which I realize were $600 and not the same as the denim that I ordered.)

However, the color and texture is great (but I can't really distinguish by sight that they are naturally dyed,) the fit is awesome, and I am very happy with my purchase.

One thing that pissed me off for a moment, however, was the way they were factory-folded in their wrapping. The sides of the legs were folded in leaving vertical crease marks down the legs, which at first I was afraid would cause fade marks, but I'm sure they'll have conformed to my legs before that could ever happen. >>

cr2.jpg

back1.jpg

Hand-hank dyed and hand loomed, purple selvage, triple chain stitch, etc.
I was so used to seeing natural indigo jeans $400 and up, thats why i was so surprised to read that these KMW were also rope-dyed using natural indigo.

hang on-- is it hank- or rope-dyed then?

Tweeds-

PG2G got it right, but make no mistake- the "normal ones" are awesome. At $275 they easily compete with and beat anything in that range.

The AWAs, however, are in an entirely different universe- and worth every penny.

Just some selected quotes regarding the AWA denim straight from the Kicking Mules mouth:

natural indigo dye grown in Japan

hand-dyed in hank form in Japan

the slubbiness occurs because when the dyer wrings out the hank it disturbs the alignment of the cotton fibers making thick and thin areas along the yarn.

Fabric weight is 17 oz

It is NOT hand woven – it is woven on the wooden shuttle looms

Due to the way the yarn is hand dyed the dye is pressed into the core of the yarn so the yarn is dyed evenly in color all the way to the core. Conventional dying leaves the core of the yarn much lighter than the out side. As a result the Awa Jean will maintain its color for a long time, even with wear.

They are moving fast (I'm shipping out 5 pair today), and once we get them up on the webstore they will disappear so if you want a pair get at me soon.

i did a hot 3 hour soak on mine and they barely shrunk anywhere. Not enough to notice at all anyway. I have a good 25 days of wear on mine and they are finally comfortable and i really like the fit now that they loosened up a little.

they're sanforized hence the lack of shrinking, how are they breaking in dude?