Kicking Mule Workshop

Le Dirte

I've had the Japanese 1980s for a month now and I love the look and fit. Compared to my first pair of raw denim, the RRDS, these show little fading so far. I bought a 32 and there has been a decent amount of stretching, definitely more than with my RRDS, so I wish I had bought one size smaller, but I'm still very happy with this pair of jeans.

I am thinking of picking up the Rockers. Can anyone who has worn the 1980s compare the fit? How much tighter are the Rockers? (I plan to have children) Anyone have pics? Thanks.

So what are the differences between the new Japan-made and older China runs? All I can see is the lack of patch on the old ones and of course the place of assembly, but aren the fabric and materials used identical?

Natural indigo versus synthetic, for one.

• 2 weeks later...

Better picture of my now three month old KMW 1980s, sized up. I'm a 28-29 inch waist, these are size 30 with the inseam at 32, but since the jeans are worn really low on me (due to the loose waist measurement), there's some good breaking at the hem. When I bought them, 30 was my true waist, but I lost weight. I'm also more of a 34 natural inseam at 5'11, but it was my first foray into premium jeans, and I wasn't sure I liked stacking. I prefered just a slight break in the way one would wear their trousers. I really like the fit regardless of it being a tad big --- a relaxed, albeit slim fit.

I like to wear these jeans around barefoot, or in the backyard, or doing something physical because the hem doesn't drag on the floor. However, the denim quality is nice enough to dress up. I've been soaking them once a month because the sizing was bothering me... not so much anymore. I've only soaked them twice, and they hold indigo really really well. These have been abused... barely any fading.

bootfit.jpg

Well, my only other pair of raw denim are Samurai S5000VX which comparatively feel like a chain steel mesh to the KMWs. I haven't thought about the softer feel contributing to the slow fade, I blame it more on it being natural indigo. There's actually some fading in these jeans, but it could only be seen up close. I wonder if these end up with more of a greencast or redcast in the end...

Oh, I know they will, but I figured the response from here would be quicker. I recently asked for measurements on a seperate pair and before they could reply, they were sold out. DenimBarOnline is just awfully swamped with their current sale going on, and I fully understand. :)

I've only seen one pair of KMW's worn in but I don't recall noticing any pronounced red or green cast. Maybe sam113 or ryandenim could answer that because I saw them at Context.

edit. on further consideration, I think it was a green cast. would this memory be supported by the fact that these are natural indigo?