Kicking Mule Workshop

Le Dirte

Gave my year old KMW 1980's a hot wash and machine dry based on this thread. They shrank up just enough to fit the way I wish they always had. Now, the problem - anyone else have trouble getting these bad boys to fade?

thanks guys. They're definitely a slow progressing jean. I mean, mine are pretty well faded at 2+ years, and they look pretty similar to APCs at about 9-10 months as far as color loss goes. They didn't really take off until I started wearing them just about 6-7 days a week. That being said, you can wash them fairly often because that natural indigo really stays in the jean.

Gold, those are probably one of the nicest KMW's I've seen - great job!

Here are my 1980 hand dyes - they're in rotation, so probably no more than 3-4 months solid wear. Not even a hint of fades anywhere :P

Nonetheless, the hue is amazing - very hard to capture.

9a4892a0-1-1.jpg

9c71db37-3.jpg

d140b692.jpg

0b106a90.jpg

Completely different from the 1950 AWA - another amazing jean.

• 2 weeks later...

^That's where the owners are from, or live.Or lived. Having a co. based somewhere has very little to do with where they sell. If there are shops in CO that are into selling KMW they should not have trouble getting it. It's not like you need some secret handshake.

Adding an interesting KMW sample piece I picked up from Jay at Blue Owl for uber-cheap. And I can see why: the denim has a marbled-wash effect, which is appropriate since they're 1980s (*rimshot*). Anyway, I took a chance since it's a nice seasonal departure from the raws I'm usually sporting year-round. The details are all there, though the wash/whiskering process has faded the hardware and fabric. Consequently, these are also ridiculously soft.

01.jpg

02.jpg

04.jpg

05.jpg

06.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I would think a poly blend, just comparing the durability of it versus skull's thread, which fell apart months before my KMW thread showed any signs of breaking. That being said, I have no factual evidence either way.

On another note, Context updated their site with two pairs of KMWs, both 1980s, one in black/black and another regular indigo. I hope they get the Rocker cut in, as the denim looks a bit different to me that previous. (selvedge line certainly is different).

Yea i figured poly, just wondering if anyone knew for sure. The new 1980's look nice, they are left hand twill and a little more slubby then the regular denim. I'm not sure about the wider selvedge traintrack, maybe im just use to my lvc 1947's with the small selvedge line.

^hmm probably. I didnt know blue owl stocked KMW (granted I'd never been to their site until 5 minutes ago), but I'm sad they don't carry the fully raw new KMW denim, only "one wash". If they had the unwashed I would be seriously tempted to pick up my second pair of KMWs. Current pair just sprouted a new hole in the butt and also back pocket. Its an uphill battle with these rips...

A 1.75 inch traintrack is seriously wide...

25ksboy.jpg

]

I remember there was this bubbly Asian kid in my dorm who always wore bright purple tartan shirts and KMW Rockers skintight on his 36x28 frame, with the cuffs turned up 4 inches so everybody could see his massive selvage trim and $70 chainstitched hem.

Every time I think about buying a pair I imagine myself looking like that.

NO.

... and I was that boy. Kidding. 4-inches, seriously? Yeah, there was a short dude in one of my seminar classes that did the same thing-- it made him look even shorter. I probably should have said something, but I figured if he had that much outward confidence in displaying his inward insecurities, then hey, more power to him. Ignorance is bliss, I guess.

My 1950s. One year in. Initial cold soak, cold soaked at 6mos, cold wash at 10mos. Pics are a little washed out (outdoors). Worn 3-4 times/week for the first 5 mos, then regularly since, w/ very little wear over the summer.

IMG_3337.jpg

IMG_3341.jpg

IMG_3346.jpg

IMG_3348.jpg

IMG_3347.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Has anyone had any issues with gapping on KMW Rockers? I want to size down somewhat aggressively on a pair, but I'm moderately concerned about having the stitching on the right side of the fly show through between the button at the waist and the top button on the fly. I have kind of big hip flexors for someone my size, and it's an issue on my Nudie RRDS (which have a big gap between the waist closure and the first button on the fly).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Thanks for the advice. I actually spoke to Jay from Blue Owl, and he mentioned that TTS could work depending on how I plan to wear them. If you're really going to wear them hard, sizing down is the smart way to go. If you're a desk/couch jockey -- like myself -- TTS can be Ok.

We'll see. If it doesn't work out, you may see a real cheap pair of 34X34 rockers on Supermarket.

I think 1950s sized down one is my favorite denim fit ever. The darts on the buckleback version are an even nicer touch.