Ask A Whitey

so-so

typical self hating 'white' hispanic

man i'm not hating at all. i'm currently in a battle with Gap's HR department to get my "ethnicity" changed to either "other" or both "White" and "Hispanic/Latino"

i'm just saying man. growing up in Virginia, i saw my dad catch a racial slur or two. It kinda puts you in an awkward position when you know that a genetic coin flip determined how a random person on the street is going to percieve you

• Replies 351
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

*EDIT* oops, didn't notice that I hadn't refreshed this in a while and thought I was responding to a comment 2 pages back*EDIT*

why are the most race-hating people are americans?

but a lot of racist americans hate chinese just because they're chinese. they hate pinoys just because they're pinoys, and so on.

not to put much hate, im just curious

Honestly, I think this idea is bullshit. While I do see what you mean, you can't deny that there really isn't anywhere else in the world you'll be exposed to so many cultures in practice as you will in a lot of America. It is the homogeny that keeps this from becoming so apparent in other country. Keep in mind, this is just what I am taking from the situation, I have spent a few months abroad, but not enough to really say I can tell you how things operate.

If we were to take somewhere notably homogeneous, like any of the big asian countries, and change it to the point that it is as racially mixed as even a middle sized us city, and you'll probably see a lot of racism coming out of the woodwork. I mean, there's already a decent number of anti-caucasians in china japan korea even with the small small number of whites living there...

well i'm not saying all white hispanics are self hating, but i think carrying the air of 'i'm superior, i'll be able to run for office, and my poor little darkie cousin can't' is somewhat self hating and speaks more to how you view yourself within a larger idea

well i'm not saying all white hispanics are self hating, but i think carrying the air of 'i'm superior, i'll be able to run for office, and my poor little darkie cousin can't' is somewhat self hating and speaks more to how you view yourself within a larger idea

I'm sure he was joking :confused:

Ha hah. You said "darkie."

What part of Canada? I'm surprised this shit would go do anywhere other than a hick town. While no city is free of racist assholes, most major cities here are quite diverse, and rarely does one see random acts of explicit racism.

Poutine is enjoyed by all, but it's primarily a Quebecer thing. If you want to insult a Quebecer with a food term, pea-souper is usually the one to use. As for the rest of Canada, we usually eat the same fatty greasy shit as Americans, so McDonalds would have been appropriate. Or maybe Tim Hortons (Canadian donut chain), or Harveys (smaller Canadian burger chain - so much better than McD's, BK, et al.). I would have just got back at them with any number of white person insults. You Asians do have white person jokes, don't ya?

vancouver. we have our jokes, but they're aren't very effective in english.

i'm really really surprised by this, i mean ppl call vancouver hongcouver cause 20% of the population is from Hong Kong ONLY. no other city in North America has such a large asian population so it definitely surprise me. but hey, unfortunately there are morons everywhere.

this was 10-11 years ago. maybe it was americans who just drove up from seattle. sorry, i"m not trying to imply that all white northern american people look alike but....

this was 10-11 years ago. maybe it was americans who just drove up from seattle. sorry, i"m not trying to imply that all white northern american people look alike but....

We'll, most white North Americans have at least 4 different European backgrounds, or Euro and Native... so all the differences that may have existed back in Europe are all blended and smoothed out here. It's probably easier to spot ethnic differences in Europe than NA.

Oh, and +1 on the shocked that it's Hongcouver. Even 10 years ago, whites were nearing minority status in Vancity since the HK immigrants came in mostly in the mid 1980s I think.

I lived in Vancouver for about 7 years, and never once did I experience a racist situation. However, when I was in small town Alberta, there was some unpleasantness that happened. A white truckful of good old white boys drove by and called me a "dumb bitch jap" (I'm not Japanese), a white guy tried to talk "asian" to me in a supermarket (I wasn't born in Asia), another truckful of white guys once shouted "K PRIDE" to me and a Japanese friend (I'm not Korean), yet another truckful of white guys once misused Kubrick and said something about love me long time (I'm not Vietnamese).

Is this something the cool white guys do? No white women have said nasty things.

a lot of white hispanics are self-hating in the sense that they will take any opportunity to downplay the fact that they are hispanic and play up their color.

question for whitey: i am of white hispanic and black hispanic descent, with both sides mixed with caucasian european bits: german on my mother's side, french on my father's. yay for colonization, or whatever. i came out a very gorgeous light caramel color that makeup artists are always complimenting (i love it when they tell me i have a beautiful complexion). i have fine features that speak more towards the white side of my family than the black side.

now, my question: why is it that white people who's conception of a hispanic person is limited solely to mexicans ALWAYS think i'm black? i visit my girlfriend often on long island, and typically, the only spanish-speaking person people out there have ever come across is a mexican day laborer. since i don't look mexican, they must take my first name as some sort of joke (Jose), and assume i'm black, because i'm not white.

Further, i've been to a few places out on Long Island, restaurants or whatever, and you have to give your name and wait for your meal to be prepared and they call you by name and every single time, they failed to pronounce "Jose" correctly. it is up there with john and joe and all those other hilariously common names, and they pronounced it "josie" and "hose"... what the fuck?

the only mistake i'll ever understand is when i get into nyc taxi cabs and Rajneesh tries to talk to me in his language. there is a liberal amount of moorish blood running through my veins, and i often can look arab and/or indian.

so, in conclusion, alahu akbar.

Just wanted to jump in: America didn't "single-handedly" prevent Nazi anything. Ask the Russians how they feel about that statement. They lost more people in WW2 than we sent to fight in it, if I recall correctly. Not something I take personally because I'm not even remotely Russian, but for the sake of historical accuracy...

My guess is that European animosity towards Americans is based on a few factors: (1) after WW2, we basically had the entirety of Europe grossly in debt to the US as a matter of helping them rebuild their countries and economies. It was nice at first, but over generations, you start to grow resentment over being under someone's heel for that long (2) capitalism makes an easy target, and as the figurehead of capitalism, we get the brunt of it (3) everybody else got out of their imperialist phases in the early 20th century. Our foreign policy has beared a lot of resemblance to imperialism, so it serves as a platform for Europeans to look down their noses at how uncivilized we are. I believe England has a bit of a history of moral elitism, in fact this meme was a key factor that E.D. Morel played off of in his crusade to end King Leopold II's ownership and mistreatment of the Congo and its people.

Also, by my estimation, people in Europe and other countries where there is far more cultural homogeneity tend to be way more overtly racist than the average American. The average whitebread American may be ignorant, but they are rarely racist in the true sense of the word, and if they have such misconceptions, they don't necessarily realize it - being aware of your own predispositions towards one race is pretty part-and-parcel with the sort of overt "racism" I'm talking about here. The impressions I've got over the years of knowing people from Europe, and knowing people from Asia, is that what we have in America is nothing at all like what you'll see, even in Western Europe, where we bear the strongest cultural similarities.

The subtle racism we talked about earlier in this thread may seem more "harmful", but I don't think anyone can honestly believe it is when they sit down and think about the fact that a society of overt racism certainly isn't going to allow an outsider any more privilege than one of subtle racism. At least in the latter there's less fear of violence and murder. Neither one's right, but if I had to choose between a life of constant frustration and constant fear, I'd take frustration. Subtle racism is insidious, but I think it's a stretch to say it's honestly worse.

One thing about white people that I love to laugh at - It's so taboo to talk about race issues in America, because as soon as someone says something that someone else feels is ignorant, it gets blown far out of proportion, and all dialogue stops as everybody revels in the smug self-satisfaction that they've rooted out a racist. It's pretty hilarious, and it's absurdly counter-productive.

Also, I learned how to pop/lock in college. The best popper I've ever seen, in person or in videos, was a white guy I knew in Seattle who went by the name Lucky. I've never seen anything like him and I don't imagine I ever will. I couldn't hold a candle to him, but that's two examples of white people dancing, at least.

I think generally white people don't like to dance because they don't want to embarass themselves. Dancing isn't a big tradition for white people, not in the sense of getting out on a dance floor and shaking your ass - especially for guys. In fact, some protestant religions even forbid dancing because of its inherent expression of sexuality. This is just one example, but you've got centuries and centuries and fucking centuries of sexual repression in European/American history, and guess who some of the first people to colonize America were? The fucking Puritans, who were so conservative that people use their name to describe backwards-thinking ideas of sexuality. They were so conservative that the British kicked them out and sent them here. They were too conservative for the colonial-era British! So that's the back drop for white people dancing in America.

(This disgustingly long WALL OF TEXT is all just my opinion, and if I come across like I've studied this or I'm some authority on the matter, I most certainly am not. I have read a bit on the Belgian Congo in the late 19th century, which is where the comment on ED Morel came from, but the rest could be total horseshit for all I really know.)

there's a lot of white dudes going out with asian chicks

but the opposite is pretty rare (at least on the east coast)

why do we have no "game"

just pull your eyelid wide open and over pronounce everything.

i open my eyes real wide and go "PASS THE MAY-ON-AISE"

i did this on a date with a white girl cause she was making fun of me for being good with chopsticks. the korean lady who was serving us laughed her fucking ass off.

there's a lot of white dudes going out with asian chicks

but the opposite is pretty rare (at least on the east coast)

why do we have no "game"

every girl ive dated, slept with has been white. but im a halfie, so maybe i get the pass.

but my dad is chinese and my mom is white. and i have an uncle who also married a white women. and noone in my familly (brothers/sisters/cousins) have ever been with an asian person. always white or black.

i do see alot of asain girls with white gusy though. im all for it accept when i hear guys talk about "loving asian women". i dont really like the idea of commodofied ethnicity. and i know for a fact that western asain women hate hearing this too.

I am dating a Filipina. It is part of my plan to dillute the bloodline!

My Grandmother, who is pure-blood Polish, once made a suggestion to "date my own kind". It was sort of an eye-opener, though I know it's not something unique to white families, by any stretch.

My guess is that European animosity towards Americans is based on a few factors: (1) after WW2, we basically had the entirety of Europe grossly in debt to the US as a matter of helping them rebuild their countries and economies. It was nice at first, but over generations, you start to grow resentment over being under someone's heel for that long (2) capitalism makes an easy target, and as the figurehead of capitalism, we get the brunt of it (3) everybody else got out of their imperialist phases in the early 20th century. Our foreign policy has beared a lot of resemblance to imperialism, so it serves as a platform for Europeans to look down their noses at how uncivilized we are. I believe England has a bit of a history of moral elitism, in fact this meme was a key factor that E.D. Morel played off of in his crusade to end King Leopold II's ownership and mistreatment of the Congo and its people.

I'm sure some of those points you made could play a part and have something to do with traditional thinking towards the US, but generally speaking, I'd say any dislike or animosity today is based on more current issues. think what americans might criticize in their country and it's most likely the same things europeans don't like about the US.

but seriously, the older european generation still remember. i have heard so many stories about ppl my parents age being invited by dutch when visiting holland just cause they had a canadian patch on their backpack. and in the summer of 2004, i visited normandy where the canadian army landed on d-day (forgot the name of the villages) and i have never seen that many canadian flags in my entire life.

yes, next question to canadians. whats the deal with the patch? in school we had 3 canadian exchange students (on different occasions) and every one of them was sporting the flag on their backpack. I see it on canadian tourists very often too. do canadian want to distinquish themselves from americans by doing this?