Ask A Whitey

so-so

• Replies 351
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why do white people have so much existential angst? Without white folks, emo wouldn't be around.

Well, I guess I'll have to point out that there is more than one white racial type. Sad.

When the Vikings first came to the Americas to open a chain of Bob Evans, they found that by the time the 90's rolled around they were expected to perpetuate the naive stereotypes of rigidity given to us by ignorant people who can't tell a mick from a kraut and if we did not, they were told that we were theatrical and wrong (for being human/for feeling/for inventing quantum physics). Woops, not terrified of their fathers. Must be that existential angst again. ;) ;) ;) ;) :confused:

1. if europe combined their army (inc russia) who would win in a fight with the us?

russia already has a similar amount of troops (plus 4 times the reserves) and an equal amount of aircrafts. adding the biggest european armies (germany, france, italy and UK) they'd have far more manpower, but it would obviously not be a matter of troops.

russia already has a similar amount of troops (plus 4 times the reserves) and an equal amount of aircrafts. adding the biggest european armies (germany, france, italy and UK) they'd have far more manpower, but it would obviously not be a matter of troops.

A central european, even an eastern european might tell you that russia isn't part of europe. nobody wants them. With that said and excluding russia, I'd say that europe would kick the crap out of us in a cage match.

there's something I got to ask you.

I just wanna know, what are you gonna do for me?

I mean, are you gonna liberate us girls

from male white corporate oppression?

Oh how profound.

As soon as the rest of the world does. Can't really say that male oppression is just a white thing...

By the way, did you remember to wash my overalls? You're going to have to earn that 25 cent pay increase if you want to make as much as we do. :D

I'll stop replying to everything now. Sorry. Bored at work. Apparently I don't know how to use the multi quote thingyding.

A central european, even an eastern european might tell you that russia isn't part of europe. nobody wants them. With that said and excluding russia, I'd say that europe would kick the crap out of us in a cage match.

not sure what your point is, but I live in Finland. so yea, I kind of have an idea of the general consensus. but the question specifically included russia so I answered based on that.

[4:43:20 PM] (HIDDEN) says: my dad already gave me his switchblade

[4:43:24 PM] (HIDDEN) says: which is actually the coolest thing ever

[4:43:37 PM] (HIDDEN) says: and he has this fucking amazing shotgun that i also plan on inheriting

What's with whites and glorifying weapons that they never use?

why are there mormons?

I mean, come on.

come. on.

Because THIS man

joseph-smith.jpg

Smoked something funny and led a bunch of fools to a salt lake in the middle of nowhere. Oh yeah and they send all their hottest youngest ass all over the world to try and convert the heathens. My coworker went to korea. She came back as fluent in korean as the garlic eaters.

do white people get offended as much as some asians when you mistake their ethnic backgrounds?

why do a large percentage of white people worship jesus and not anglosaxon or nordic deities?

to what extent do european caucasions hate/look down upon white americans?

do white people get offended as much as some asians when you mistake their ethnic backgrounds?

as an european, I'd say no.

but to me it does seem that americans generally hold their ethnic background more important, for example if someones ancestors moved to the US from somewhere 200 years ago they are still quite concious about their roots. I assume this is because of colonization.

to what extent do european caucasions hate/look down upon white americans?

there are certain stereotypes for americans being "dumb" and such, but thats usually people who haven't even stepped foot in the US. for people that are more familiar with americans, I don't think theres much down looking on a personal level. politics etc is a different story, on the country level its more of a love/hate relationship.

why is it that white people have such stab-you-in-the-heart racial epithets for all of the minorities, that can penetrate the very fabric of ones being, while caucasian-based racial slurs are seemingly benign and ineffectual? i.e. (no one get offended- im black/asian myself) spook, spic, gook, wop, jap vs. honky, cracker, whitey, whitebread, um...... thats all i can think of, haha.

the minority specific words are easy to syllabicate and emphasize with short, direct tongue strokes: gooK! spiC! spooK! while words like honky and whitey just kinda float there.

hah, that was pretty fun breaking it down like that. anyhow, kudos to you white folk...when it comes to verbally shitting on people of color with name-calling, you guys sure know how to make it bleed.

why is it that white people have such stab-you-in-the-heart racial epithets for all of the minorities, that can penetrate the very fabric of ones being, while caucasian-based racial slurs are seemingly benign and ineffectual? i.e. (no one get offended- im black/asian myself) spook, spic, gook, wop, jap vs. honky, cracker, whitey, whitebread, um...... thats all i can think of, haha.

the minority specific words are easy to syllabicate and emphasize with short, direct tongue strokes: gooK! spiC! spooK! while words like honky and whitey just kinda float there.

hah, that was pretty fun breaking it down like that. anyhow, kudos to you white folk...when it comes to verbally shitting on people of color with name-calling, you guys sure know how to make it bleed.

The epithets white people use for various minorities are not powerful merely because of their linguistic merits. Those slurs "stab-you-in-the-heart" because of the power relationship that those who employ them have to those who they use them on. Its one of complete dominance historically, through cruelty, slavery, and outright extermination.

If Caucasian people came to America, and discovered that the native inhabitants enjoyed eating waffles, it is completely concievable that "waffle-eater" could have become a grave insult, to future generations of the indiginous people simply because of the power dynamic enforcing the term.

Because THIS man

Smoked something funny and led a bunch of fools to a salt lake in the middle of nowhere. Oh yeah and they send all their hottest youngest ass all over the world to try and convert the heathens. My coworker went to korea. She came back as fluent in korean as the garlic eaters.

Do Mormons count as white? I consider them their own thing, after the whole xenophobic, let's-kill-anyone-who's-not-a-Mormon, episodes in the 1800s? Think Mt Meadow Massacres...

as an european, I'd say no.

but to me it does seem that americans generally hold their ethnic background more important, for example if someones ancestors moved to the US from somewhere 200 years ago they are still quite concious about their roots. I assume this is because of colonization.

you are very, very wrong here, mike. in my experience, and in many sociological studies, it has been shown that white americans incredibly lax when it comes to recognizing and celebrating their ethnic roots. they consider themselves American,

not Italian, or Swedish, or German. this does not apply across the board, for there are certainly large groups of people that are still 'in touch', but a vast majority here in the US are wholly separated from their ethnic origins, and don't think much of it.

this, actually, has been connected to the rise of institutionalized racism in America- whites slowly began to relinquish their ethnic ties and assimilate into a semi-homogenous american culture, and expect minorities to do the same, not conscious of the fact that minorities have a major problem relinquishing their ties to their ethnicity, being that their ethnicity is often written all over their face, literally.

there is actually an ideological stance that is gaining a lot of credit here that proposes that 'whites' need to abandon the massive groupthink of whiteness and re-engage with their ethnic origins, in an effort to debunk white privelige and the establishment of 'whiteness' as a standard for 'americanness'.

you are very, very wrong here, mike. in my experience, and in many sociological studies, it has been shown that white americans incredibly lax when it comes to recognizing and celebrating their ethnic roots. they consider themselves American, not Italian, or Swedish, or German. this does not apply across the board, for there are certainly large groups of people that are still 'in touch', but a vast majority here in the US are wholly separated from their ethnic origins, and don't think much of it.

is it really so? because I feel like I've heard it many times when an american describes him/herself as Italian or German or whatever eventhough he/she was born in the US..? I think this because of a whole different perspective, if you ask an european where they're from, they'll tell the country they were born and live in. if you ask an american that was born and raised there, he/she could say that I'm 1/4 irish and 1/4 german or something like that, right? or am I fully on the wrong track? I atleast think that I've heard such things quite a few times. I'm of course generalizing with all of this and this probably doesn't apply to a large part of people.

but I think thats the difference, say someone asked me where I'm from. if my parents were from another country, I would say that "I was born here but my parents are from _____". if my grandparents were from somewhere else, I would definately consider myself from here and would be unlikely to mention it.

so in that sense americans could maybe be more concerned about their roots. its probably because a large part of the population has more varied roots as its a relatively new country. but I can also see what you're talking about though. interesting topic!

there is actually an ideological stance that is gaining a lot of credit here that proposes that 'whites' need to abandon the massive groupthink of whiteness and re-engage with their ethnic origins, in an effort to debunk white privelige and the establishment of 'whiteness' as a standard for 'americanness'.
This is BS. Have you ever been to Canada?

Multiculturalism -- celebrating difference -- doesn't work. I've encountered racism in the US, but it's been isolated incidents and wasn't too common. Here in Canada it's pretty shocking -- it's a lot more omnipresent, and a lot more latent (which I find to be much more harmful than overt racism, to be honest). Here in Canada, minorities are encouraged to maintain their traditions, language, and culture, and all it does is result in a shitload of segregation and a shitload of alienation, not to mention confusion and fear amongst the majorities.

Yes, there is racism in America. It will probably never go away. Still, I'm convinced that the "melting pot" (which, I believe, is what you're criticizing, in effect) is one of the main reasons that the US has managed to achieve and maintain economic and cultural hegemony for so long.

Nevertheless, I do understand what you're saying. I was "raised" as a "white American" and I have found that in recent years, I have become gradually more interested in my heritage, especially my Colombian heritage. Nevertheless, I think this sort of endeavor should be a personal, private thing, and not a governmentally-and/or-societally-encouraged thing, as it is in Canada.

you are very, very wrong here, mike. in my experience, and in many sociological studies, it has been shown that white americans incredibly lax when it comes to recognizing and celebrating their ethnic roots. they consider themselves American,

not Italian, or Swedish, or German. this does not apply across the board, for there are certainly large groups of people that are still 'in touch', but a vast majority here in the US are wholly separated from their ethnic origins, and don't think much of it.

this, actually, has been connected to the rise of institutionalized racism in America- whites slowly began to relinquish their ethnic ties and assimilate into a semi-homogenous american culture, and expect minorities to do the same, not conscious of the fact that minorities have a major problem relinquishing their ties to their ethnicity, being that their ethnicity is often written all over their face, literally.

is it really so? because I feel like I've heard it many times when an american describes him/herself as Italian or German or whatever eventhough he/she was born in the US..? I think this because of a whole different perspective, if you ask an european where they're from, they'll tell the country they were born and live in. if you ask an american that was born and raised there, he/she could say that I'm 1/4 irish and 1/4 german or something like that, right? or am I fully on the wrong track? I atleast think that I've heard such things quite a few times. I'm of course generalizing with all of this and this probably doesn't apply to a large part of people.

but I think thats the difference, say someone asked me where I'm from. if my parents were from another country, I would say that "I was born here but my parents are from _____". if my grandparents were from somewhere else, I would definately consider myself from here and would be unlikely to mention it.

so in that sense americans could maybe be more concerned about their roots. its probably because a large part of the population has more varied roots as its a relatively new country. but I can also see what you're talking about though. interesting topic!

I have to disagree as well Onemanhateswhitepeople (just kidding.....:D)

Whilst there may have been certain studies done, I find that as someone who has lived all around the world and has many friends from different countries, one of the main quips that often comes up in conversation about us "Americans" is how absurdly 'proud' and vocal we are about our non-American heritage. One person in particular, my wife, is from Ireland, and holy fucking shit I can't tell you how many times valley girls have noticed her accent and said "Oh my god, like I am Irish too!"

People of all races in the U.S. openly celebrate their heritage, whether it be Chinese, Italian, Swedish, etc. people will say they are American, but they are most often conscious about their heritage and it will certainly come up in conversation if you even mention the country they are "1/5th a part of." Our country isn't old enough for people to simply be content with being "american." Almost everyone I know when asked where they are from, or where their parents are from will automatically say: I am 1/2 this and 1/2 that. Instead of the logical answer, which would be "I am American."

mike

in the sense that you described, yes- people here will definitely be able to rattle off that they are 1/3 this and a quarter that and 1/16 cherokee. and they'll feel proud about that fact, for some strange reason, for a few minutes at least. but they don't really have any real connection to those fractions beyond being able to tell people that their great-great grandfather came from ireland and their great-great grandmother came from italy... so in terms of knowing where they came from, yes, there is usually a general proficiency in being able to identify where you've come from, but there usually isn't a genuine connection to those roots.

on the flipside, i've also experienced it plenty of times that i'll ask someone where their family is from and they'll say America. and i'll ask them before America, where did your family come from, and they'll say they don't know, that they're 'just white'. and that's kind of sad to me- maybe i'm biased, because i'm of a heavily mixed heritage and feel strongly tied to quite a few of the 'fractions' that make me whole.

minya

i've been to Canada, it is kind of fucking ridiculous. i agree.

and latent racism is definitely more harmful than overt racism.. anything

that you can't see or immediately identify has much more potential for

causing trouble.

i also agree that it should never, ever be a large-scale movement enforced by societal rules or government regulation.

as far as criticizing the "melting pot", i'm not exactly sure that i am completely critical of the theory, i just feel that there are aspects of it that are impossible to apply in a living, breathing society- aspects that cause a hell of a whole lot more problems than healing. but, from my estimation, this could also be the lesser of two evils, compared to a world where WASPS still hated the Irish and the Irish spat on Jews and the Jews

kept far away from the Puerto Ricans moving into their tenements, and the Puerto Ricans spoke in Spanish around Blacks so they wouldn't understand the slurs they were using.

why are the most race-hating people are americans?

im sure there are a lot of people who hate americans. but most of them don't hate them just because they're amercans. but a lot of racist americans hate chinese just because they're chinese. they hate pinoys just because they're pinoys, and so on.

not to put much hate, im just curious