Random Thoughts...

fade to black2

^I was just going to post that on Facebook too but a friend just posted an RIP for his brother on his status :( Frank Frazetta's artwork means a lot to me but it doesn't compare to losing a brother.

So RIP my friend's brother Chris.

I wanna be that dude who says "yeah!" in the background of rap songs.

how do I get that job? who do I have to chirp?

I was working a show that had the Ying Yang Twins* and they had like a 10 person crew, 3 of them performers and the rest just hype men. So you can say YEAH on cd's and tour around being an idiot! Seems like you just have to know the dudes and be a spazz?

*Fucking awful. About 35 min set, did a bunch of other people's songs, had their crew do 90% of the work, and from what I've been told, didn't even do their own songs right.

^I was just going to post that on Facebook too but a friend just posted an RIP for his brother on his status :( Frank Frazetta's artwork means a lot to me but it doesn't compare to losing a brother.

So RIP my friend's brother Chris.

This maybe just me, but I don't believe Facebook is an adequate vessel for communicating serious personal losses. I hope when I die people actually talk to each other about it, or not. I am not one of those luddites who thinks facebook is destroying civilization, I just think it has certain uses, and they are pretty superficial.

^I get what you mean but I also don't see why there needs to be a separation between "real life" and "online life". The same way that we don't consider writing a letter or telephoning or even now, texting, to be a weird way to communicate serious issues and ideas. They're just another medium.

a friend i had just died recently and i didn't particularly agree with the way people were 'grieving' on facebook either. the whole notes and status messages... i agree it felt like demeaning the entire situation.

do you have any deceased friends on facebook?

Do you have any deceased friends in your mobile? Do you regularly write to them? When did you last speak to them on the phone or text them? It's just another way to communicate with people.

Do you have any deceased friends in your mobile? Do you regularly write to them? When did you last speak to them on the phone or text them? It's just another way to communicate with people.

I would agree with your 'it's just another medium' statement if facebook wasn't so public. it differs from other mediums in that anything you write is going to be displayed on so many people's screens, even if they don't actively look for you.

because of this, grieving [along with any other statements/emotions expressed through status updates] has an inherent "look at me, I'm sad I lost someone pity me" vibe, which sucks

i don't know about you guys but if i lost a bro i wouldn't be trying to broadcast it to everyone

facebook is passive narcissism at its best. everything is done for the viewing of others. hardly a place for expressing grief of a lost one. as chrissy previously mentioned, leaving messages and RIP on a dead person's facebook wall demeans the whole situation. they are never going to be able to see it, and their profile now serves as a creepy everlasting memorial to them. this is entirely different from a phone conversation where you have to proactively communicate with someone.

also, i don't agree with your notion that there should be no separation from online life and real life. maybe it's just because i don't have a facebook, but my online activity is primarily anonymous -- meaning i never interact online with people i know in real life. again, that's just me. i viewed facebook as a waste of time where the only people who would communicate with me were people that i would never hang out with in real life anyway.

[facebook] ... has an inherent "look at me, I'm sad I lost someone pity me" vibe, which sucks

i don't know about you guys but if i lost a bro i wouldn't be trying to broadcast it to everyone

this

I dunno... When Michael J. died I had a RIP status for like two days :(

(7)

-- meaning i never interact online with people i know in real life.

this struck me as somehow sad.

as far as deceased friends/family members/people who made you coffee etc...

long before there was facebook or any social networking site, part of some people's grieving process is to complain that the person has not been done justice by whatever tribute that another has made.

any remembrance of the dead is relevant.

this struck me as somehow sad.

my social life is deliberately kept separate from my online life. the two don't bleed together, outside of email which is very private in its essence.

main reason being, i wanted to keep my friends separate from my coworkers separate from my family separate from my lolcats

How is it any different than putting out a wreath or something? In 10 years time you'll be looking back on opinions like this and shaking your heads that you thought like this.

mostly because it requires little to no effort. completely passive.

facebook is already a big joke. looking back in 10 years time hopefully it won't even exist

my social life is deliberately kept separate from my online life. the two don't bleed together, outside of email which is very private in its essence.

main reason being, i wanted to keep my friends separate from my coworkers separate from my family separate from my lolcats

mostly because it requires little to no effort. completely passive.

facebook is already a big joke. looking back in 10 years time hopefully it won't even exist

If you can't keep your coworkers/family etc separate then it's because you don't know how to use the internet very well. No one sees anything on my facebook without me allowing it. I have at least 5 different friend lists.

Social networking is here to stay, just like email is here to stay. Right now you sound like those luddites in the past who bemoaned that people didn't write enough letters. It's also ironic that you're posting on a message board and interacting with a community and that you have a QR code as your avatar whilst holding the opinions that you do.

a oven toaster does wonders. i'll report back eventually.

Photoon2010-05-11at02083.jpg

it tasted good, but i don't think i'm finished digesting it. i ate it right before i slept and now i have a tummy ache. :(